FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Have you messed with setting it in Baja mode and then shifting back to 2WD to emulate the missing Sport mode on the street at all?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you messed with setting it in Baja mode and then shifting back to 2WD to emulate the missing Sport mode on the street at all?
No. The engine is still breaking in and Sport mode was not my favorite in my last F150. It is entertaining for a few minutes, then just hard shifts and way to much throttle tip in. The Sand mode was noticeable in terms of gear holding and tip in, so no reason to think Baja wont be similar. At the end of the day, sport mode does not affect performance, it affects perception and feel. It just isn't something I like. Maybe on a track it would shave a bit of time off a lap, because it holds gears longer, could help not downshifting or downshifting at higher rpm to stay in the power band).

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No. The engine is still breaking in and Sport mode was not my favorite in my last F150. It is entertaining for a few minutes, then just hard shifts and way to much throttle tip in. The Sand mode was noticeable in terms of gear holding and tip in, so no reason to think Baja wont be similar. At the end of the day, sport mode does not affect performance, it affects perception and feel. It just isn't something I like. Maybe on a track it would shave a bit of time off a lap, because it holds gears longer, could help not downshifting or downshifting at higher rpm to stay in the power band).
Yeah, I know it doesn't make anything faster. Strange as it sounds it's still something I use daily with the 3.5EB/10 speed in the Navigator. If you leave it in Normal, throttle mapping is very sluggish and it will not downshift under braking until just above idle engine speed in the current gear, if you have to get back on the power it takes a second to wake up.

I even have the same complaint with the BMW as well, in the normal mode there is a noticeable delay/damped effect between putting in the throttle and the actual throttle body plate moving. I guess if you were new to rowing your own it would smooth things out a bit, but I hate the whole 'rubber band between the accelerator and throttle body' effect, especially on a turbocharged engine where you have a little bit of that already.

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I can and yes, it's 100% underside. It just looks a bit rough and the material isn't what most would pick from an aesthetic standpoint. I am not picky and it doesn't bother me at all, but it's not the highlight of the Bronco. The flip side? The panels fit well, were easy to get out and back in, fit in the supplied bags and the finish seems durable. BTW, painted or gloss tops , for those who pan to take them off regularly and or go off road, will need to be very careful not to scratch them. I love the MIC finish even more after seeing it up close and already having to do a quick change in the rain.
Rough like the non gel coat side of fiberglass boat or kit-car?
Ford Bronco Day 1 With 4Dr Badlands- Week 1 Updates 1625687153405

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I know it doesn't make anything faster. Strange as it sounds it's still something I use daily with the 3.5EB/10 speed in the Navigator. If you leave it in Normal, throttle mapping is very sluggish and it will not downshift under braking until just above idle engine speed in the current gear, if you have to get back on the power it takes a second to wake up.

I even have the same complaint with the BMW as well, in the normal mode there is a noticeable delay/damped effect between putting in the throttle and the actual throttle body plate moving. I guess if you were new to rowing your own it would smooth things out a bit, but I hate the whole 'rubber band between the accelerator and throttle body' effect, especially on a turbocharged engine where you have a little bit of that already.
It seems to be mitigated somewhat by the learning process. I generally drive somewhat “aggressively “ and the delay seems to be pretty minor. The 2.7 also spools pretty quick. I notice less lag than either the 2.3 or 3.5 (just not the boom the 3.5 has in the midrange). Tuning will likely help those of us that want a different feel.

Sponsored

BecsBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Becca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I won’t get into to much detail, because enough good reviews have been posted. But I will try and hit on a couple of themes from the forum.

1. I took delivery yesterday at noon.
2. The dealer was great, Z plan honored, good deal on Ford warranty (first time I have bought one since the 90s).
3. Fit and finish is good. Top is definitely not the highlight of said fit and finish. Works well, quiet, but definitely gave away the headliner to cover the finished product IMO.
4. 2.7 is solid. Feels like the F150 acceleration and shifting wise. 10sp is not noticeable already. It should get even better in 1k miles or so.
5. Screen and cameras (High Package) are awesome. I would have been disappointed personally if I didn’t get them. I was torn, because the 8” screen was adequate, but wow, the 12” and cameras are the bomb.
6. No mirror whistle yet.
7. Had the front section of top off, got a pop up shower and the seats got wet, wet dogs, interior definitely seemed built for it. Popped the tops on, jumped in and good to go.
8. Took it on some seasonal roads, played with the modes (was in sand and used sand mode). Used trail turn assist to do a donut. The modes were cool, worked well and made sense. I think they will be better than I expected.
9. 18.6 mpg per the computer in mixed driving 100miles.
10. Stereo is just OK. Not as bad as I expected. It won’t be as high on my list of add ons as I initially guessed.

I can try and answer other questions if you have something Badlands specific?

How much did you save with the Z plan?

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rough like the non gel coat side of fiberglass boat or kit-car?
1625687153405.png
Not that rough, just a bit “mottled “ and some minor “fiber” looking edges. Like I mentioned, I am not picky and it makes no functional difference, so it’s a non issue for me. I am just assuming some that are sensitive to those things would notice.

969B322C-36C4-411C-9B90-FAF2345A2795.jpeg

5A786E36-6367-4170-96FC-F3A34CFC7925.jpeg

9861ED30-8C71-4D28-9C75-274E3C498445.jpeg

29DEA62D-80C3-4E3B-960A-220DBCCC3239.jpeg

B5D4FD75-D52A-41E0-AC95-5C9B19ECA79F.jpeg

BecsBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Becca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
6% basically covers sales tax here. No hassle, no negotiation is a huge plus too.
Good to hear. We took a test drive yesterday and our salesman said they had Z plan and it only saved them $500 on a Bronco Sport and that it would probably be even less with the full size Bronco. I didn’t believe them.

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to hear. We took a test drive yesterday and our salesman said they had Z plan and it only saved them $500 on a Bronco Sport and that it would probably be even less with the full size Bronco. I didn’t believe them.
They should show you the price sheet. It specifically details the price per Ford. They are limited on fees as well. The dealer gets compensated from Ford, they do at least as well in A pan as regular retail.

Sponsored

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How heavy was the rain noise with the top on? My current car sounds like a tin roof when it rains

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How heavy was the rain noise with the top on? My current car sounds like a tin roof when it rains
It was pretty light, didn’t notice it as particularly loud.

Winni Made

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is my exact build. Looks great. My one concern is the lack of sport mode. I drove an outer banks with sport mode and it made a difference vs. normal mode. Keep us posted as you continue to use it!

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happy to see the non squatch BL looking so nice.
I've been back and forth on SQ and Color. I finally went with CG,
and just last week dropped the SQ off my build.
Congrats Matt!!

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happy to see the non squatch BL looking so nice.
I've been back and forth on SQ and Color. I finally went with CG,
and just last week dropped the SQ off my build.
Congrats Matt!!
I drove both the SQ 2.3 and my 2.7 BL. I prefer the 33” vs 35” for step in, but otherwise both were really good. For me, long term, I think the non-sq will be lower cost and more than adequate for me.
Sponsored