First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
More great examples for what happens when you do not negotiate before placing an order and have a signed sales contract stating what was agreed on.

This is basic car ordering 101, but unfortunately many don't know the steps and are at the mercy of the dealer to jerk them around if you did not negotiate and get the price in writing before placing the order, signed by the dealership general manager.
I find the tone here to be bizarre. Yeah, it probably is the first time for many here ordering a rare, high-demand vehicle. Not sure why you're directing your sanctimonious remarks at them instead of putting that energy into criticizing shady dealer practices.

I have my order sheet with the sales manager's signature. Doubtful that it would be legally binding, but even if it was most buyers probably wouldn't have the wherewithal to lawyer up when the dealer pulls a fast one. Would love to have the car when it comes, but I'm not doing business with people who don't keep their word, especially when it's in writing. Call me old-school.

Hope you get your vehicle hassle free.
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I find the tone here to be bizarre. Yeah, it probably is the first time for many here ordering a rare, high-demand vehicle. Not sure why you're directing your sanctimonious remarks at them instead of putting that energy into criticizing shady dealer practices.
Bronco6g is not Facebook, many members here have a history of helping other members, myself included. New to off-road, many members help those that need to know the basics with their experience. Want new tires or a lift, other members post what works from their experiences. For those that are getting burned by dealerships, as dealerships will always take advantage of the uninformed, some of us are trying to explain some of the steps for ordering a new car as it is the first time for many, these best practices will help with all but the shadiest of dealers.

By "putting that energy into" into educating forum members, we will all help to minimize" "shady dealer practices". When dealers face customers, educated in the car buy process, their shady practices will have less impact on your personal purchase.

It is for members, like @bronco2drga, who became more knowledgeable about the car ordering process, by reading this thread, mission accomplished.
I fall into that category of being a lifetime gear head, but have never ordered a new vehicle in my life so I did not know the process. I assumed the sheet I was given was my price, but I didn't realize it was just MSRP and not a final cost.

BurtoSquirto

Base
First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Worked around many of the Ford dealers in kansas. With few exceptions, they’re pretty scummy and I bet anything the guy didn’t get it in writing so no, it’s not fraud. Just bad dealers. One of the biggest dealers in Wichita has made a business model of sending people home with approvals on cars that never went through and charging them bogus return fees weeks later. And shotgunning credit apps for weeks after you look at cars by tricking people who don’t know better into doing credit apps. Or convincing 82 year olds on social security they need to buy a new car on 9% financing even though they just need an oil change on their perfectly good one. Due diligence probably wasn’t done here.
Well yeah. I agree that if he didn't have an email or an agreement or anything he is technically screwed, unless the state OP lives in recognizes verbal agreements which could be provable, if there is multiple people with verbal agreements (bring forth the class action). Then again, my answer was based under the assumption that OP has something in writing to back him up.

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well yeah. I agree that if he didn't have an email or an agreement or anything he is technically screwed, unless the state OP lives in recognizes verbal agreements which could be provable, if there is multiple people with verbal agreements (bring forth the class action). Then again, my answer was based under the assumption that OP has something in writing to back him up.
I getcha. He was asked a ton and never answered straight so pretty sure he didn’t get it in writing.

chribroo

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco6g is not Facebook, many members here have a history of helping other members, myself included. New to off-road, many members help those that need to know the basics with their experience. Want new tires or a lift, other members post what works from their experiences. For those that are getting burned by dealerships, as dealerships will always take advantage of the uninformed, some of us are trying to explain some of the steps for ordering a new car as it is the first time for many, these best practices will help with all but the shadiest of dealers.

By "putting that energy into" into educating forum members, we will all help to minimize" "shady dealer practices". When dealers face customers, educated in the car buy process, their shady practices will have less impact on your personal purchase.

It is for members, like @bronco2drga, who became more knowledgeable about the car ordering process, by reading this thread, mission accomplished.
And I think you're doing a wonderful service to those here you help educate. I just didn't really understand the need for the sanctimonious tone, but it's the internet so you do you.

Sponsored

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Recently I was informed by my dealer that they were changing a policy to charge “market value” rather than MSRP. I specifically went with this dealer because they originally promised they wouldn’t up charge the bronco and would only charge MSRP. Of course they made this change and informed order holders after the deadline to change dealers. Anyone else being faced with this issue? Several legal issues come to mind with this tactic not to mention consumer protection issues.
Name the dealer for shaming sake and then take your order to Granger for your own sake.

BurtoSquirto

Base
First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Base
I getcha. He was asked a ton and never answered straight so pretty sure he didn’t get it in writing.
Feel bad for the dude, I got my back up on e-mail. I specifically said.

"The only reason I am placing my reservation with Rogers Ford is because I understand you guys will sell me the Bronco at MSRP, just want to verify if that's correct"
My email to the manager

"I just have one question. The reason I reserved with you was because I saw Rogers Ford is not planning on marking up the Bronco at launch as of today. Has that changed at all?"

Her answer

"MSRP no added markup"

Hope that will cover me...

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

More great examples for what happens when you do not negotiate before placing an order and have a signed sales contract stating what was agreed on.

This is basic car ordering 101, but unfortunately many don't know the steps and are at the mercy of the dealer to jerk them around if you did not negotiate and get the price in writing before placing the order, signed by the dealership general manager.
you keep saying "this is car ordering 101", which just sounds pompous. There is very little about this process that is standard. And, frankly, almost nobody orders a vehicle, they buy one off the lot.

Repeating the same line over and over and over again, especially after the fact...it might be the least helpful thing you can say.

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Superduty 7.3 PSD, 2017 Ford Escape.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I fall into that category of being a lifetime gear head, but have never ordered a new vehicle in my life so I did not know the process. I assumed the sheet I was given was my price, but I didn't realize it was just MSRP and not a final cost.

Ford motor company should not allow dealerships to get away with charging any more than MSRP for people that waited over a year; clearly that is the suggested price because dealerships can still make profit. I do not care if supply and demand has pushed the value of the Bronco higher, bottom line is that reservation holders put money down, built their vehicles to spec on Ford website, and waited a year. Hell, I never talked to the dealership till 8 months after my reservation to convert it and now they suddenly feel like they are doing me a favor to get the vehicle I reserved. Also, my sales rep just quit so I was super in the dark until I got a build date and started inquiring this past month.

It's unacceptable honestly. My dealer said well I'm going to call around and see what other dealerships are doing then I'll figure out a price..... Again, my bad for not understanding the process, but if Ford doesn't protect it's consumers and this dealership tries to price gouge me I will walk and never do business with Ford ever again.
I was some what in the same boat and agree with on the dealership issue. Something else to keep in mind , we have not seen the vehicle yet, or at least I haven’t. My point is what happens if you commit to a contract, sign it, go look at your new ride 2 years later and you don’t like it? Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing to wait until we actually get to see it, sit in it, feel it, before signing our name to a $40k-$62k bill. Huge risk either way I guess.

RealStepcs

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If a dealer is sleazy enough to renege on a deal for a quick cash grab, they’re not going to care about an empty litigation threat. Consider the situation in reverse: what if it’s the customer who bails when the Bronco is ready for delivery? No court is going to compel the customer to take delivery of a car they no longer want or cannot afford and enter a judgment against the customer for the purchase price. The dealer has no damages in that situation because they’ll sell the Bronco later that day. If the customer isn’t liable in that scenario, neither is the dealership in the opposite scenario.
I totally agree with you to a certain extent. But the realty is in this situation, dealers and salesmen are literally praying to God that order holders back out. They will fine be with it. Actually, they will be over the moon!!!

In the real world if you ask a painter to quote painting your house and he quotes 1,000 and paints your house then says, oh my bad it’s now $1,500. EVERY JUDGE AND COURT IN America will stick with basics of contract law and all you owe is $1,000.

However, if he quotes you $1,000 and you never call the painter back and decide not to paint your house you don’t owe him anything. This is literally first day of Contract Law in undergrad. Accept if you want or not, IDGAF.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I tot

I totally agree with you to a certain extent. But the realty is in this situation, dealers and salesmen are literally praying to God that order holders back out. They will fine with it.

In the real world if you ask a painter to quote painting your house and he quotes 1,000 and paints your house then says, oh my bad it’s now $1,500. EVERY JUDGE AND COURT IN America will stick with basics of contract law and all you owe is $1,000.

However, if he quotes you $1,000 and you never call the painter back and decide not to paint your house you don’t owe him anything. This is literally first day of Contract Law in undergrad. Accept if you want or not, IDGAF.
Sure, of course. But that’s apples and oranges. The most important part of any contract dispute is damages when you get down to it. If there’s a breach but no party was damaged, then it’s a moot point. In the sleazy Ford dealership scenario, the problem is that — written sales agreement or not — no one is going to have any cognizable damages that a court can compensate. At least not any damages that would make any economic sense to pursue in court.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a level of trust you have to have with a dealer, especially with a high stakes vehicle such as this. It's high stakes for the buyer as they will have a year or more invested in waiting and it's high stakes for the dealer as they hope the buyers will back out so they can break out the ADM paperwork... ok, mostly kidding... mostly.

RealStepcs

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sure, of course. But that’s apples and oranges. The most important part of any contract dispute is damages when you get down to it. If there’s a breach but no party was damaged, then it’s a moot point. In the sleazy Ford dealership scenario, the problem is that — written sales agreement or not — no one is going to have any cognizable damages that a court can compensate. At least not any damages that would make any economic sense to pursue in court.
You don't think waiting a year for your "Reserved" and "Specifically Ordered" Bronco to be cancelled by your dealer and sold to someone else.... is NOT cause for damages? Where and what planet have you been on? Damages is just one option a judge can rule on. The damages will be having to buy another Bronco somewhere else at a higher cost. The damages will be the difference in cost plus emotional suffering.

In my opinion, I would ask the judge to enforce the agreement. And as a reminder it does NOT have to be signed, the sales order issued is the agreement.

And you're are missing the point, the threat and or actual lawsuit is way more of a hassle than the dealer needs. Especially some sales manager who, is getting sued personally. Agree with me or don't. You made my point, what dealer in his right mind would spend 3k to 5k fighting this? Lots of lawsuits are settled to avoid legal costs, However if my dealer tries to screw me out of my Bronco he will be in court with lawyers spending stupid money for no reason other than selling MY Bronco to a friend or someone willing to pay a little extra. He will be sued, the salesman will be sued and the dealership. All will be sued personally as well.

Let the judge decide, trust me.... they will just sell it to you.

Last edited:

DHC

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Several are getting them $1000.00 under invoice from what I have been reading. I will be happy with MSRP, however , does it hurt to try to get invoice? Which all I am doing is trying to save a few bucks.
Me and the other Grangetober customers have a written, signed deal for $2,000 below invoice.

Gasherbrum

Base
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Off Road, Beater Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was some what in the same boat and agree with on the dealership issue. Something else to keep in mind , we have not seen the vehicle yet, or at least I haven’t. My point is what happens if you commit to a contract, sign it, go look at your new ride 2 years later and you don’t like it? Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing to wait until we actually get to see it, sit in it, feel it, before signing our name to a $40k-$62k bill. Huge risk either way I guess.
Each state has different laws, but typically the buyer's order does not require that you have to ultimately accept and purchase the vehicle. However the dealer may potentially retain any deposit you made with the order. On top of this most states have recission / lemon laws that also protect vehicle buyers. In the Bronco sphere, it would seem most dealers would actually like some buyers to walk from their orders so the dealership can sell the vehicle with additional mark-up.

Bottom line is if you have a buyer's order you won't be forced to buy the vehicle if you ultimately decide you don't want it.
Sponsored