Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Since FordPass 5.0 does not work on my iPhone 7, I got to wondering about whether the dealership could just reprogram my nav to be "built-in" instead of "connected" ?
Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iphone 7? Getting your money's worth for sure, good on you.

The 8 was released 7 years ago, I get that you don't like to waste money, but I wouldn't count on getting anything free from Ford.

OP
OP

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The reason the economics haven't made me give up on built-in is that I'm not a fan of doing e-commerce, such as a map subscription, on a "smart" phone. Eventually, every "smart" phone will be hacked, so I try to do everything on a desktop, where it's easier to maintain and verify security (e.g., Win 7 system restore works better than the newer versions).

Besides, if I'm not enthused about the maps I can get for car apps, then I wonder if they're going to increase the price on "connected" map subscriptions in the future.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Besides, if I'm not enthused about the maps I can get for car apps, then I wonder if they're going to increase the price on "connected" map subscriptions in the future.
That's odd because Google maps and/or Waze are infinitely better than any factory nav I've ever used.

My friend's 2018 GM satnav doesn't even know my neighbourhood exists, and it's been here since 2005.

OP
OP

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'll check them out, but the 23 Bronco nav is pretty fancy

Sponsored
OP
OP

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks, that's pretty encouraging.

For the cheaper Sync 3, they mention the requirement of changing the Sync/ APIM module.

They don't mention that module change for the higher-priced head unit, which my Bronco came with, so I would guess the company can sell me a quick-and-easy software upgrade, for a price.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Holy crap! You think the security patches work ? ! ?

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Holy crap! You think the security patches work ? ! ?
Free advice: your phone can be hacked by sending you an image. It’s clickless. You should get a feature phone if you’re trying to make a stand against technology.

OP
OP

Muffin Top

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, MK, KK, TJ, DN
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I think it's pretty clear you're saying there's nothing the end user can do to ensure security. You're actually saying that.

your phone can be hacked by sending you an image. It’s clickless.

After saying there's nothing the user can do to ensure security, then you refer to a "stand against technology."

your phone can be hacked by sending you an image. It’s clickless.

You should get a feature phone if you’re trying to make a stand against technology.

So, accepting the reality that "smart" phones are not secure has been morphed into a politicized stance "against technology." Such reasoning is another great reminder of why California is totally f'd up.

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So I think it's pretty clear you're saying there's nothing the end user can do to ensure security. You're actually saying that.

After saying there's nothing the user can do to ensure security, then you refer to a "stand against technology."

So, accepting the reality that "smart" phones are not secure has been morphed into a politicized stance "against technology." Such reasoning is another great reminder of why California is totally f'd up.
I’m saying your old phone that stopped being supported is vulnerable. You should get a device that’s not vulnerable. Smartphones are a complex technology that need to be maintained.

im saying that when someone makes a few statements about how they are hanging onto their old tech, and how they don’t trust the system, it’s natural to assume they have some sort of ideology against hardware lifecycles.

That’s fine, I can respect that.

But I’m a helpful person.

Like how rock crawling has an experienced spotter giving you advice on how to best tackle a difficult section of trail.

so take my advice or not. Or do your own research. Or tie these comments to California somehow. I cared very little to begin with and even less now.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gee I still use a flip phone and I've never been hacked and my life is much less stressful and easier. Smart phones have only been a part of human history for a very tiny percentage of time yet we managed to survive and flourish. As far as navigation goes there are excellent stand alone gps units available far cheaper than oem navigation and far better as well. This business of picking on people who prefer a low tech/no tech life needs to stop because it quickly escalates to harassment. The o/p asked a legitimate question and some of you attacked him for being low tech and backwards. If you can't say something useful then why even say anything?
Sponsored