First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This. I've been bitching about this for years. Auto makers have sensors in the seats to know if they are occupied. How hard is it to see that the passenger seat is occupied and let the passenger update the nav? :mad: The lawyers ruin everything. And they don't care because at $750/hr, they are being chauffeured around and ride in the back all of the time.
Sponsored

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Connected Nav is where the unit gets its GPS data from your phone, no phone signal, no map data. Built in connected means the unit has its own GPS sensors and does not require a phone for a GPS signal, but may use it for traffic and weather updates depending on build. The subscription is for map updates, live traffic & weather. You do not need the subscription in the built in unit to get maps, but do need it if you want map data updates, live traffic & weather. As for the trail maps I am not sure as they are new and specific to Ford.
Do you know if there's any hardware differences between the two then?. I figure if you don't want to prepay for the 3 years you can do a monthly subscription instead. Or I connect it through wifi to get live updates.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you know if there's any hardware differences between the two then?. I figure if you don't want to prepay for the 3 years you can do a monthly subscription instead. Or I connect it through wifi to get live updates.
The only HW difference I am aware of is the map and address storage & recall ability of the built in connected. Just be aware that if you are out of cell phone range with the connected you won't have maps or info services unless you connect via a phone mapping app that you remembered to download the area maps too, and you still will not have any services other than static maps. As half the cost of the built in connected gives you 33 months of services (turn-by-turn, weather, traffic, predictive typing, etc) that you would have to pay out of pocket after the 3 month trial I consider it worth it as I am off grid a lot. (Not sure if the connected has the GPS antenna or not)

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only HW difference I am aware of is the map and address storage & recall ability of the built in connected. Just be aware that if you are out of cell phone range with the connected you won't have maps or info services unless you connect via a phone mapping app that you remembered to download the area maps too, and you still will not have any services other than static maps. As half the cost of the built in connected gives you 33 months of services (turn-by-turn, weather, traffic, predictive typing, etc) that you would have to pay out of pocket after the 3 month trial I consider it worth it as I am off grid a lot. (Not sure if the connected has the GPS antenna or not)
I don't see a reason for it not to, now the company that's providing the services is telenav, I'm just curious what level of satellite data transfer is available through them. I know the maps will be downloaded offline and stored. What I'm getting at is if ppl decide not to go 700$ package at order what that looks like if I want to upgrade, is it software update and subscription or if additional hardware is required.

good article on some info.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-bronco-f150-sync-4-navigation-maps-off-road-telenav/

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This taken from the f150 build and price.

Connected Built-In Navigation

$795 S4

Available Connected Built-In Navigation is fully connected to and informed by internet-based data with maps that are frequently refreshed with the latest available traffic and construction information, ensuring you get up-to-date info for your routes.
Includes a three-year prepaid subscription.†

†Available Feature. Navigation services require SYNC®4 and FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles), complimentary connect service and the FordPass app (see FordPass Terms for details). Eligible vehicles receive a complimentary 3-year trial of navigation services that begins on the new vehicle warranty start date. Customers must unlock the navigation service trial by activating the eligible vehicle with a FordPass member account. If not subscribed by the end of the complimentary period, the connected navigation service will terminate, and the system will revert to embedded offline navigation.

Connected service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features.

FordPass App, compatible with select smartphone platforms, is available via a download. Message and data rates may apply.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the connected navigation service will terminate, and the system will revert to embedded offline navigation.
The connected only will not store maps, you need the built in for that, or a phone you have downloaded them to.

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The connected only will not store maps, you need the built in for that, or a phone you have downloaded them to.
For the sake of the system itself I don't want any solution that requires phone interface. I wanna know what capabilities are offline/online and what connectivity the actual unit has and how it can be supplemented through wifi/cellular.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So are we thinking that the GPS reviever is included anyway? Just not turned on? I'd be surprised. That was the difference with my Mazda... The actual reviever box was either there or was a dangling plug.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So are we thinking that the GPS reviever is included anyway? Just not turned on? I'd be surprised. That was the difference with my Mazda... The actual reviever box was either there or was a dangling plug.
I have a Ford with Sync 2 with a static map nav SD Card only no GPS. I have a 2019 F150 Sync 3 with connected nav that gets live updated map nav with GPS module. I still think the Bronco will be similar with Sync4 and Sync3 options. The only difference is the Sync4 is getting more potential nav sources via subscriptions and 100% offline capability with the added built in connected nav if you select it.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think we're overthinking this.

Base package includes Sync4. No Navigation, no ability to get live updates.

Mid package includes "Connected Navigation." It's "connected" in the sense that the vehicle is equipped with a cellular data modem. If you pay the monthly data subscription fee, you get traffic/construction updates, etc. If you don't pay for that, you still get nav... just not those realtime data updates. (Includes a 90 day trial.)

"Connected Built-in" is just like the connected but it means that you've paid upfront for the live updates... 3 years worth. The difference on going with the "built-in" is about $750 (you can opt for one or the other on the Big Bend without upgrading screen size)... which works out to $20/month for the cell data service.... after the three years you're at the point where you'd need to pay the monthly data fee.

Ford Bronco Connected vs. Connected Built-In Navigation Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.15.20
Ford Bronco Connected vs. Connected Built-In Navigation Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.15.32

Though... I guess it depends on what their definition of "Navigation Service" is... service... service....

Like, the Navigation window on my screen? Or like, the "service" of them delivering live traffic data?

If they are following their own nomenclature, it would seem that "service" does mean the connected "cloud" services. (https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-services-discontinued-faqs.html)

Also, reading these it looks like perhaps the Ford App remote start is not available on the base... which I believe some people have been saying it is.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Connected means the unit gets its gps location & services from the cell modem via the gps antenna in your phone, (cloud connected) hence no cell signal no gps mapping or services, connected 'built in' means the unit has both a GPS antenna/receiver mounted on the roll bar, and the ability to store maps onboard so with no cell you still get mapping but maybe no services. At least this is the way it was explained to me.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is from the Ford page on SYNC 4:
"SYNC 4 Technology with cloud-connected navigation can help keep you informed on the latest weather, traffic, construction zones, parking availability and even plug-in info (for Electric vehicles). Ford offers two different navigation options and they both work the same. First is Connected Navigation with a 90-day trial, which is available on the F-150 and Bronco. The other is an optional Connected Built-in Navigation system with three years of complimentary service. It’s available on F-150, Bronco and standard on the Mach-E."

If this is correct, then both options function identically, and the only difference is 90 days included vs. 3 years included. (In which case, someone should be beaten for calling one Connected and the other Connected Built-In.)

If they do NOT actually both work the same, there are a couple of different possibilities.
  1. Connected taps into your phone's cell connection to receive data, while Built-In can maintain it's own connection without your phone.
    (IMO this is unlikely. There is nothing I can find from Ford that suggests your phone is necessary for any of these features.)
  2. Connected uses a cell connection via a modem in the vehicle to receive data, while Built-In is able to use both a vehicle-based cell connection as well as an actual GPS signal.
    (IMO possible. Everything on these features from Ford includes a disclaimer about AT&T network availability, so it's highly likely this is using a vehicle connection to cell towers completely independent of your personal cell phone.)
  3. Both Connected and Built-In include a vehicle-based cell connection and GPS. Location data functions via GPS regardless of cell coverage. With Connected, services like live traffic, construction updates, and some search functions rely on cell coverage. With Built-In, these same services can be provided via the GPS receiver (via Telenav).
    (IMO the most likely if the two options are functionally different; gives some added benefit to Built-In while not making Connected completely dependent on cell coverage.)
I would lean towards some sort of actual GPS being integrated into both options, with no absolute dependency on a personal cell phone or being in range of a cell tower. On the same SYNC 4 page, there is a note "If not subscribed by the end of the complimentary period, the connected navigation service will terminate, and the system will revert to embedded offline navigation. " This suggests that navigation is still possible without a subscription to the AT&T-based services (and again no mention of your cell phone). My expectation is that you continue to receive updates as long as you subscribe.

Absolutely no clue how much of this will impact the trail maps.

Two things I have not seen discussed/answered:
  • At the end of your complimentary period, how much is this connected service?
  • Most likely the feature that let's your Bronco provide a Wifi hotspot (I forget the name) uses the same AT&T network connection. I wonder if that is a separate subscription or if it and this connected navigation are bundled together.
    • Wondering how many subscription services this thing is going to tie me to. Hopefully just 2, but could be as many as 4. Hopefully the bottom 3 are all together.
      SiriusXM
      Nav
      Data Plan for Hotspot
      Trail Maps
Looking at some of the info in manual for the Mach E (which has SYNC 4). That vehicle definitely has it's own modem (again suggesting no need for your phone). And it has the ability to connect to a Wifi network (presumably to receive OTA updates). The Mach E manual also mentions subscribing to a network data plan to provide a hotspot.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Connected vs. Connected Built-In Navigation 2021-bronco-packaging-guide-brochure-10

Navigation explained, yes!

Connected:
  • 90 day trial
  • Will terminate entirely without subscription
Connected Built-in:
  • 3-year trial
  • Will revert to regular navigation after trial

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Connected vs. Connected Built-In Navigation 2021-bronco-packaging-guide-brochure-10

Navigation explained, yes!

Connected:
  • 90 day trial
  • Will terminate entirely without subscription
Connected Built-in:
  • 3-year trial
  • Will revert to regular navigation after trial
Absolutely this. Came here to say this. This is this. This. Thiiiisssssss