Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is what I believe the service would look like after it expires. It's through att

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/ford/
I've got plenty of monthly fees, and don't think I want another. IIRC the Bronco will be connected to another service that has all the off road trails, and maps which will cost you a monthly fee. How much I have no idea.

With the Apple Car Play, and Android Auto you use your phone connection. So there's no extra charge, it just eats up your data. But, I'm sure you know that already. I use AA with my GM plastic car, and it works great. That's why I'm on the fence about getting the built-in nav in my Bronco. I'll probably get it, because what's another 700 bucks when you're in close to 47K to start with. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ugh, is Ford listening? Navigation, built in navigation, connected navigation, normal navigation, Mustang, Mustang Mach E, Bronco, Bronco Sport, jeeze, WTF are they thinking to make this so hard??
My sentiments exactly Roger. Just tell me what the offer is in plain English, and then I can make a decision. As the old saying goes, "A rose by any other name is still a rose". So why use hieroglyphics to get your point across. Jeeze........

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got plenty of monthly fees, and don't think I want another. IIRC the Bronco will be connected to another service that has all the off road trails, and maps which will cost you a monthly fee. How much I have no idea.

With the Apple Car Play, and Android Auto you use your phone connection. So there's no extra charge, it just eats up your data. But, I'm sure you know that already. I use AA with my GM plastic car, and it works great. That's why I'm on the fence about getting the built-in nav in my Bronco. I'll probably get it, because what's another 700 bucks when you're in close to 47K to start with. :)
Android auto and Apple is limited to the type of apps it supports. At the moment android auto is having ALOT of connectivity issues (I manage a Tmobile store). I'd rather have the option to do my own wifi connection or another cell provider for a monthly fee if wanted. I'd love to get a Ford tech guy on here and ask questions about hardware/software and connectivity types this would have. I guess I can go check out an f150 and ask questions ans dig around in there.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what I believe the service would look like after it expires. It's through att

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/ford/
I believe this is to allow your vehicle to act as a Wi-Fi hotspot, enabling you to use any Wi-Fi device to get online. Think your kid's non-cellular iPads and iPods.

In addition, I read that you will be required to get the AT&T plan if you want to use wireless CarPlay or wireless Android Auto. The reason being that when using these two services, you connect to the vehicle via Wi-Fi, because Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth. That being the case, when your phone tries to connect to the internet, it will attempt to do so via Wi-Fi, but without the AT&T plan will be unable.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Android auto and Apple is limited to the type of apps it supports. At the moment android auto is having ALOT of connectivity issues (I manage a Tmobile store). I'd rather have the option to do my own wifi connection or another cell provider for a monthly fee if wanted. I'd love to get a Ford tech guy on here and ask questions about hardware/software and connectivity types this would have. I guess I can go check out an f150 and ask questions ans dig around in there.
Tomasz, the F-150 I was talking about was a 2013. I would think the new F-150's would have the same stuff as the Bronco. So, that would be a good place to look. Let us know if you get a chance to check one out.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the AA. I haven't used it in a while, and didn't know they were having problems.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe this is to allow your vehicle to act as a Wi-Fi hotspot, enabling you to use any Wi-Fi device to get online. Think your kid's non-cellular iPads and iPods.

In addition, I read that you will be required to get the AT&T plan if you want to use wireless CarPlay or wireless Android Auto. The reason being that when using these two services, you connect to the vehicle via Wi-Fi, because Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth. That being the case, when your phone tries to connect to the internet, it will attempt to do so via Wi-Fi, but without the AT&T plan will be unable.
I believe this is a misunderstanding on how these wireless systems work.

You are correct that if you want to run a mobile wifi hotspot, you need a cellular data plan for your car.

In contrast, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto use a combination of Bluetooth and an adhoc wifi network... but it's not a hotspot connected to the internet.

So while technically your vehicle must be equipped with wifi to enable ACP and AA, you don't need to pay for the data subscription.

Your phone connects to the car through Wifi... but the connection to the outside world is still through your phone and its own data plan.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe this is a misunderstanding on how these wireless systems work.

You are correct that if you want to run a mobile wifi hotspot, you need a cellular data plan for your car.

In contrast, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto use a combination of Bluetooth and an adhoc wifi network... but it's not a hotspot connected to the internet.

So while technically your vehicle must be equipped with wifi to enable ACP and AA, you don't need to pay for the data subscription.

Your phones connected to the car through a Wifi protocol... but the connection to the outside world is still through your phone and its data plan.
Whew, that would be great. I already send AT&T too much money every month! :p

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Tomasz, the F-150 I was talking about was a 2013. I would think the new F-150's would have the same stuff as the Bronco. So, that would be a good place to look. Let us know if you get a chance to check one out.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the AA. I haven't used it in a while, and didn't know they were having problems.
I have a 2019 F150 but its sync3 so there are changes.

Ford Bronco Connected Navigation vs the $695 Connected Built In Navigation option 1612905138229

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a 2019 F150 but its sync3 so there are changes.

Ford Bronco Connected Navigation vs the $695 Connected Built In Navigation option 1612905138229
Yep, Ford lost me when they passed Sync 2. I'm so technologically challenged. :oops: :p

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

f150 build and price info, should translate to the bronco.

Connected Built-In Navigation

$795 S4

Available Connected Built-In Navigation is fully connected to and informed by internet-based data with maps that are frequently refreshed with the latest available traffic and construction information, ensuring you get up-to-date info for your routes.
Includes a three-year prepaid subscription.†

†Available Feature. Navigation services require SYNC®4 and FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles), complimentary connect service and the FordPass app (see FordPass Terms for details). Eligible vehicles receive a complimentary 3-year trial of navigation services that begins on the new vehicle warranty start date. Customers must unlock the navigation service trial by activating the eligible vehicle with a FordPass member account. If not subscribed by the end of the complimentary period, the connected navigation service will terminate, and the system will revert to embedded offline navigation.

Connected service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features.

FordPass App, compatible with select smartphone platforms, is available via a download. Message and data rates may apply.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Built in has everything needed to have Nav and once your subscription ends, you just don't get any more updates.

Non built in requires your phone.. and same thing, no updates once your shorter subscription expires.

Android Auto/Apple Carplay is always available, has nothing to do with Ford Nav, but requires your phone.
Sponsored