Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just did a Friday - Sunday trip with a big group and me being the only Bronco. Thought I’d share for those that are curious on conditions.

Mods/Add-ons:
-Hammerbuilt tailgate reinforcement kit with accessories and antenna mount
-BD S2 sport chase light
-Weboost Reach
-2 Rotopax 2 gal tanks
-Wildpeak RT01 Tires
-Black Rhino Primm wheels 0 offset
-BD lights with KR off-road bracket in bumper
-BD LP4 pillar lights

Day 1
Temps 75°-80°
60 miles

Friday morning we met up in Ridgecrest around 10am and headed to Trona Pinnacles as the first stop for pics. Rangers didn’t seem too keen on us being there and followed us the entire time as we drove around.
After about about an hour there we headed to Nadeau road to our first campsite. The road to the first site was pretty rocky with a decent drop into a wash but has a bypass for those not wanting to risk it. We stopped for camp just near Modac mine on an open concrete slab. This spot is great with wide open space for multiple rigs and an awesome view.

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log FD100091-D113-4BF3-9473-C661A67B438D

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log 5B0F9E2D-60BA-45A9-A498-0FEDF5885DAE

Day 2
Temps 80° - 95°
103 miles

The day started off on a morning trail run to Defense Mine and the chunk on this trail was quite significant. This was the only trail on the trip where I was hitting the underside, and definitely wish I had a lift and some transmission crossmember skids due to those taking the most hits.

After coming back down, we continued on our journey heading up Nadeau to the 190 and going through Panamint springs. We continued on the 190 to start the next leg of this long day on Saline Valley Road. The road was in fairly good condition with some snow still remaining in the higher elevations. There were some segments where the washboard was so bad, it knocked loose some of my BD bumper lights and who knows what else. We drove this all the way to Steele Pass, first stopping at the saline valley hot springs for a break.

Back on the trail we continued on to Steele Pass. The road from the springs was extremely dusty with a few washed out spots from the last rain storms. The path on Steele Pass was, for the most part, fairly visible as we drove through the wash. Towards the end going into Dedeckera Canyon there were a few tight spots between large rocks but all of the rigs got through just fine.

Finally, on the last leg we trekked down the steps in Dedeckera Canyon. The steps were in good condition with no significant wash out from the rain. I was able to get through them without spotting only using the cameras. At last, we made it to the dunes to set up camp for the night. I was definitely beat after this day, we started at 9 am and got to the campsite around 7:30 pm.

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log C26A5AD7-9683-42FC-AD97-F5B4A4FDE8AD

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log 6B07F9CA-4655-4DEF-8117-3610170947E7

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log A8A6190E-7AB6-42E5-8E12-A1D724EEA9EE

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log C98D44D9-59D6-46F4-8679-49B364BD41D0

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log 327C949B-892F-4ABB-84EA-51A249F541E5

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log 8C9AFD9A-242D-458A-B827-6FBEDB5A17AC

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log C5AA9B7B-CEB1-4491-B735-70086DE76C54

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log D93A0B95-0BB5-4681-B0B2-1739B1C0DC43

Day 3
Temps (60° - 80°)
50 miles

The last leg of the trip was mellow. We took Death Valley Big Pine road straight to Big Pine, stopped for some BBQ and headed home.

Overall the Bronco did great with only some minor issues. My rear window struts have started showing issue slowing to open not sure if it’s from all the dust or what. My alignment got knocked out of spec but fortunately no broken tie rods. I also have a clunking sensation coming through the gas pedal only when it’s windy and going highway speeds. Not sure what it could be but may be worth a trip to the dealer for inspection.

Update 6/8/23: I finally had time to take the truck into the dealer after I started noticing more issues. My rear axle is weeping at the breather vent line and I noticed the driver side rear shock had residue on the bottom of the coil seat. I got word back that the shock is leaking and being replaced, the rear axle is "sweating" and they don't see it as a cause for concern yet, and the gas pedal feedback I was getting was due to a cable near the transmission coming loose and tapping against it. The death valley trip was a definite shakedown test.

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log 793D2EDB-D1CC-4113-99D7-7F6873E46DEC

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log D936869C-836C-4D28-BC5A-97A53D5E38FE

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log F58E1EC9-BD1E-402D-BB96-EBAEE5DF8FB4
Sponsored

Last edited:

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That looks like a great trip. Your pics make me wish I was there.
Did you ever need to use your extra fuel? What carrier do you have?

Villageidit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice write up, thanks. This was my favorite time of year to visit Death Valley and I've camped at the hot springs a few times. The ride through the pass out of there can be a challenge. Glad you didn't take any body damage.

OP
OP
Ryslegit

Ryslegit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That looks like a great trip. Your pics make me wish I was there.
Did you ever need to use your extra fuel? What carrier do you have?
Thanks! Fortunately we didn’t put ourselves in a situation where the extra fuel was needed and topped off in panamint springs, but was good to have. We had a large group and it was actually expected to take longer than it did. I have the Hammerbuilt tailgate reinforcement kit.

Nice write up, thanks. This was my favorite time of year to visit Death Valley and I've camped at the hot springs a few times. The ride through the pass out of there can be a challenge. Glad you didn't take any body damage.
Yea this was my first time though these parts of Death Valley, it was a great run and would definitely do it again. A few years ago we did echo canyon, racetrack, and lippincott pass. I also wasn't expecting to see a bunch of naked people walking around at the springs either. I actually did take a hit to my rear bumper and put a small dent in the corner. The factory steel bumpers pulled through but I’m going to make it an excuse to go aftermarket lol!

AustyPosty

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door 2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You were able to do the entirety of Steele pass? The website says it’s closed. Either it’s not really closed or you dodged a bullet being stopped by a ranger

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ryslegit

Ryslegit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You were able to do the entirety of Steele pass? The website says it’s closed. Either it’s not really closed or you dodged a bullet being stopped by a ranger
The website has been saying it’s closed since last year I believe. The only road closed sign we saw was turning onto Saline Valley Road, and it was pushed off to the side. Other than that there were no other signs indicating Steel Pass closed. We even passed a few other rigs coming from the opposite side. We also had been using this site to get an idea of its status.

https://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/steele-pass-6700264

fordbroncowildtrak2023

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Very nice! Definitely looking forward to my own adventures with the Bronco in Death Valley.

Does that Weboost Reach really make a difference? I also will be installing the Hammerbuilt reinforcement with antenna mount but am wondering if doing a cellular boosting antenna is worth it.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up & pictures. No doubt one among many jealous to not have been there 🤠

Sponsored

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just did a Friday - Sunday trip with a big group and me being the only Bronco. Thought I’d share for those that are curious on conditions.

Mods/Add-ons:
-BD S2 sport chase light
-Weboost Reach
-2 Rotopax 2 gal tanks
-Wildpeak RT01 Tires
-BD LP4 pillar lights

Day 1
Temps 75°-80°
60 miles

Friday morning we met up in Ridgecrest around 10am and headed to Trona Pinnacles as the first stop for pics. Rangers didn’t seem too keen on us being there and followed us the entire time as we drove around.
After about about an hour there we headed to Nadeau road to our first campsite. The road to the first site was pretty rocky with a decent drop into a wash but has a bypass for those not wanting to risk it. We stopped for camp just near Modac mine on an open concrete slab. This spot is great with wide open space for multiple rigs and an awesome view.

Day 2
Temps 80° - 95°
103 miles

The day started off on a morning trail run to Defense Mine. The chunk on this trail was quite significant. This was the only trail on the trip where I was hitting the underside. I definitely wish I had a lift and some transmission crossmember skids. Those got beat up the most, surprisingly.

After coming back down, we continued on our journey heading up Nadeau to the 190 and going through Panamint springs. We continued on the 190 to start the next leg of this long day on Saline Valley Road. The road was in fairly good condition with some still snow remaining in the higher elevations. There were some segments where the washboard was so bad, it knocked loose some of my BD bumper lights. We drove this all the way to Steele Pass, first stopping at the saline valley hot springs for a break.

Back on the trail we continued on to Steele Pass. The road from the springs was extremely dusty with a few washed out spots from the last rain storms. The path on Steele Pass was fairly visible as we drove through the wash. Towards the end going into Dedeckera Canyon there were a few tight spots between large rocks but all of the rigs got through just fine.

Finally, on the last leg we trekked down the steps in Dedeckera Canyon. The steps were in good condition with no significant wash out from the rain. I was able to get through them without spotting only using the cameras. At last, we made it to the dunes to set up camp for the night. I was definitely beat after this day, we started at 9 am and got to the campsite around 7:30 pm.

Day 3
Temps (60° - 80°)
50 miles

The last leg of the trip was mellow. We took Death Valley Big Pine road straight to Big Pine, stopped for some BBQ and headed home.

Overall the Bronco did great with some only some minor issues. My rear window struts have started showing issue slowing to open not sure if it’s from all the dust or what. My alignment got knocked out of spec but fortunately no broken tie rods. I also have a clunking sensation coming through the gas pedal only when it’s windy and going highway speeds. Not sure what it could be but may be worth a trip to the dealer for inspection.

Wow! What a wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing. I would love to do a trip like this Sometime. ❤🐴

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

good to see that the hammerbuilt tailgate setup is capable of holding 2 Rotopax containers.. how do you configure that?

rzshootr

Badlands
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 Etron
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Mods/Add-ons:
-BD S2 sport chase light
-Weboost Reach
-2 Rotopax 2 gal tanks
-Wildpeak RT01 Tires
-BD LP4 pillar lights

Day 1
Temps 75°-80°
60 miles

FD100091-D113-4BF3-9473-C661A67B438D.jpeg

5B0F9E2D-60BA-45A9-A498-0FEDF5885DAE.jpeg

Day 2
Temps 80° - 95°
103 miles

The day started off on a morning trail run to Defense Mine. The chunk on this trail was quite significant. This was the only trail on the trip where I was hitting the underside. I definitely wish I had a lift and some transmission crossmember skids. Those got beat up the most, surprisingly.

After coming back down, we continued on our journey heading up Nadeau to the 190 and going through Panamint springs. We continued on the 190 to start the next leg of this long day on Saline Valley Road. The road was in fairly good condition with some still snow remaining in the higher elevations. There were some segments where the washboard was so bad, it knocked loose some of my BD bumper lights. We drove this all the way to Steele Pass, first stopping at the saline valley hot springs for a break.

Back on the trail we continued on to Steele Pass. The road from the springs was extremely dusty with a few washed out spots from the last rain storms. The path on Steele Pass was fairly visible as we drove through the wash. Towards the end going into Dedeckera Canyon there were a few tight spots between large rocks but all of the rigs got through just fine.

C26A5AD7-9683-42FC-AD97-F5B4A4FDE8AD.jpeg

6B07F9CA-4655-4DEF-8117-3610170947E7.jpeg

A8A6190E-7AB6-42E5-8E12-A1D724EEA9EE.jpeg

C98D44D9-59D6-46F4-8679-49B364BD41D0.jpeg

327C949B-892F-4ABB-84EA-51A249F541E5.jpeg

8C9AFD9A-242D-458A-B827-6FBEDB5A17AC.jpeg

C5AA9B7B-CEB1-4491-B735-70086DE76C54.jpeg

D93A0B95-0BB5-4681-B0B2-1739B1C0DC43.jpeg

Day 3
Temps (60° - 80°)
50 miles

Overall the Bronco did great with some only some minor issues. My rear window struts have started showing issue slowing to open not sure if it’s from all the dust or what. My alignment got knocked out of spec but fortunately no broken tie rods. I also have a clunking sensation coming through the gas pedal only when it’s windy and going highway speeds. Not sure what it could be but may be worth a trip to the dealer for inspection.

793D2EDB-D1CC-4113-99D7-7F6873E46DEC.jpeg

D936869C-836C-4D28-BC5A-97A53D5E38FE.jpeg

F58E1EC9-BD1E-402D-BB96-EBAEE5DF8FB4.jpeg
View attachment 499388

Fantastic! We were there a week ago. Drove through a nasty but very cool sandstorm. That was a first for us. Camped two nights at the Eureka dunes and considered going up Dedeckera Canyon but decided against it since we were alone. Those spots are extremely tight indeed! Settled on the "Wheel-on-the-rock pic instead". We also headed out on Big Pine Road. Death Valley is an amazing place.

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log _DSF2618

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log _DSF2759

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log _DSF2796

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log _DSF2804

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log _DSF2941

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log _DSF2932

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log _DSF2846

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log _DSF2855sm

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log Road-to-Eurekasm

Ford Bronco Death Valley Weekend Trip Log sandstorm2sm

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryslegit

Ryslegit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where is that hot tub?
It’s at Saline Valley Hot Springs

Very nice! Definitely looking forward to my own adventures with the Bronco in Death Valley.

Does that Weboost Reach really make a difference? I also will be installing the Hammerbuilt reinforcement with antenna mount but am wondering if doing a cellular boosting antenna is worth it.
Honestly, I have no idea. During the times I had slight reception I did not notice a difference in signal strength with the weboost on. Maybe I don’t have it set up correctly or what but as of now I’m disappointed in it. Especially for the price I paid. Another thing that was frustrating is the coil antenna mount is not firm enough with the 18” extension. While on the highway it was swinging side to side violently every time a gust of wind came through. There were some moments it was banging against the top too.

good to see that the hammerbuilt tailgate setup is capable of holding 2 Rotopax containers.. how do you configure that?
I have the accessory arm mounted closest to the tire and used the Rotopax extension for 2 gallon tanks. I also picked up the shortened strut from Hammerbuilt for the tailgate so it stops at 90° to prevent damage to the tail light.

Sewie

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 22 Bronco BL Sas 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great pics. Looks like a fun trip. I've only been there once about 15 years ago but plan to go back with the Bronco. Last time our group camped at Furnace Creek and did day trips to Racetrack/Ubehebe craters, then Barker Ranch via Coyote Canyon, and then a day out to Rhyolite ghost town. So much more to explore though.
Sponsored