Sponsored

Diesel motor for the Ranger maybe Bronco too .

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So if the bronco is based off the ranger… and there is a diesel ranger overseas….

is it possible to do a diesel swap on my bronco?
Anything is possible with enough money.
Sponsored

GETSCHWIFTY

First Name
Rick Sanchez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Anything is possible with enough money.
well they’re shoving the 3.0 diesel in the global version of the ranger SUV, so if they’re all based off the T6 platform, wouldn’t the hard part be done already?

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
well they’re shoving the 3.0 diesel in the global version of the ranger SUV, so if they’re all based off the T6 platform, wouldn’t the hard part be done already?
The easiest part of an engine swap is physically mounting the engine, the hard part is getting the electronics to get along.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well it should fit and probably bolt up to 10R. But everything else is hard. It’ll be easier to do a 5.0L V8 swap. There is way more support for such a swap in the US.

GETSCHWIFTY

First Name
Rick Sanchez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Well it should fit and probably bolt up to 10R. But everything else is hard. It’ll be easier to do a 5.0L V8 swap. There is way more support for such a swap in the US.
this is exactly why I need to win the lottery

Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Another thing about diesel swaps - What advantage is there to it?

You (might) get slightly better fuel milage which gets pretty much cancelled by the difference in fuel cost.​
You will never recover the cost of the swap​
You will never pass emissions (in some states this makes a difference)​

Only advantage I can see is possibly bragging rights

GETSCHWIFTY

First Name
Rick Sanchez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Another thing about diesel swaps - What advantage is there to it?

You (might) get slightly better fuel milage which gets pretty much cancelled by the difference in fuel cost.​
You will never recover the cost of the swap​
You will never pass emissions (in some states this makes a difference)​

Only advantage I can see is possibly bragging rights
the fact that I have the freedom to spend my money any damn way I choose sounds good enough to me 🙃

Also the emissions comment is bunk. The 3.0 diesel motor was in the F150.

better fuel economy….

better tow rating…

OP
OP
H - 2 CHARLIE

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Maybe boost the heck out of the 2.7 and be happy until it blows then only it makes sense to retrofit a new power plant .🤑🤑🤪

OP
OP
H - 2 CHARLIE

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
At one point I was unhappy with my 5.4 with only 60k on it in my 1998 F150 and was sure as he'll going to repower it with a Chevy 350 and a Muncie 4 speed . I'm not sure why I ever did not but I suppose it was CARB not getting it smogged with a carburetor.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
the fact that I have the freedom to spend my money any damn way I choose sounds good enough to me 🙃 Fair enough, can't stop people from pissing money away it's their choice :)

Also the emissions comment is bunk. The 3.0 diesel motor was in the F150. This was referring to swapping in a diesel not a factory installed one which most likely will never happen

better fuel economy….With more expensive fuel

better tow rating…Motor is not limiting factor on Bronco tow capacity, and BTW my F150 3.5 ecoboost is rated to tow about 2-3K more then the 3 liter diesel in the same truck

Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How long does it take for a diesel engine to pay for itself now? When you consider the upfront cost of the engine, higher maintenance costs, fuel costs, repair costs, etc. I have an f350 that I two with but would never consider one for daily use. I can understand it back 20-30y ago when diesel cost half to 2/3 what gas cost, and the upfront cost of the engine was minimal. I never paid over a dollar a gallon for diesel until 2001 iirc lol.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Won't happen on Bronco. American politics is different from Europe and Asia. CARB will never go along w/it. They make exceptions for pickup trucks...not SUVs. Never thought I would be a fan of US emissions laws, but if they keep smelly diesels to a minimum, then something good has come from it!

EBG

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71EB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So if the bronco is based off the ranger… and there is a diesel ranger overseas….

is it possible to do a diesel swap on my bronco?
Possible? Sure.
Easy? Practical? Probably not.

But, people have swapped all kinds of engines into all kinds of vehicles for a long time - some good (Ford V8's into AC Ace = Shelby Cobra, 351C's into De Thomaso Panteras, LS V8's into just about everything, etc) - some bad.

It's a forgone conclusion that engine swaps are already underway into New Broncos, some will turn out well, some won't. A high horsepower V8 sounds like a great idea, but the Bronco isn't a sports car. A hybrid gas/electric drivetrain will probably happen at some point, but I won't buy one. A diesel swap ( a smaller, "lightweight" diesel, not a 1000 lb Cummins) sounds like a good idea - low rpm, high torque, perfect for rock crawling. For Baja racing, not so much.

I'm old school, I'd love a V8 in a New Bronco - the sound, the effortless power, etc - but the twin turbo V6 puts out a respectable amount of grunt. A diesel swap would have to make a lot more torque and get a lot better fuel economy for it to be worth it.

Tom_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 FJ40, 2011 X5D, 2019 Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My BMW X5 is diesel and I love it. Last year I got 40 mpg on a trip to California. Illinois doesn't do any emissions testing on diesels. I also love when people at the gas station tell me I'm putting in the wrong gas and I just tell them how much better it runs on diesel.

also, it's not smelly. It's not 1985 anymore.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Possible? Sure.
Easy? Practical? Probably not.

But, people have swapped all kinds of engines into all kinds of vehicles for a long time - some good (Ford V8's into AC Ace = Shelby Cobra, 351C's into De Thomaso Panteras, LS V8's into just about everything, etc) - some bad.

It's a forgone conclusion that engine swaps are already underway into New Broncos, some will turn out well, some won't. A high horsepower V8 sounds like a great idea, but the Bronco isn't a sports car. A hybrid gas/electric drivetrain will probably happen at some point, but I won't buy one. A diesel swap ( a smaller, "lightweight" diesel, not a 1000 lb Cummins) sounds like a good idea - low rpm, high torque, perfect for rock crawling. For Baja racing, not so much.

I'm old school, I'd love a V8 in a New Bronco - the sound, the effortless power, etc - but the twin turbo V6 puts out a respectable amount of grunt. A diesel swap would have to make a lot more torque and get a lot better fuel economy for it to be worth it.
I plan on keeping mine for a long time, I figure when it's out of warrantee and the little motor finally craps out I will strip all the electronic crap out of it and shove an old 302 or 351 with a little cam so that it sounds good and pisses off all the tree-huggers.
Sponsored