Sponsored

Will a diesel Bronco be in the mix soon ?

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This, we used to have good diesels.

Find a 90s GM diesel full-size SUV and Your getting 25-30MPG (specifically on the 6.2L) vs the gas getting 14MPG. No emissions or urea, and back then diesel fuel cost less than gas.

Diesel can’t do those things any longer, it’s a dead end unless we start letting diesels pollute like the modern DI turbo engines can.
Indeed, the 7.3 Powerstroke in my F250 is a workhorse, sadly never to be repeated stateside.
The rednecks rolling coal do nothing for public perception of diesels (kinda like “loud pipes save lives”...but I digress)
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not much chance. It would hit the Ranger first and there is no interest in it there from what I can tell. Hybrid will be next, then full electric option if I was betting.

Rusty Sheckleford

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The offshore Ford diesels in Rangers I suspect do not have to deal with ultra-low S fuel, diesel exhaust fluid, etc.
Diesel is dying in the US.
When you describe it that way, it's not that diesel is "dying", but that it's being killed off by our stupid government.

Sponsored

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Am I the only one who likes the smell of diesel exhaust?
obviously not, but there are a bunch on here if you don’t like it, or see it exactly as they do your wrong. Life is about finding your way, I would really like to see a diesel in one of these hopefully mine.

OP
OP
H - 2 CHARLIE

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A electric motor full time with a diesel generator that kicks in at 45 - 50 % when the battery half low then your back up to 100 % full battery .

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was a thread for this last week. I did the math for the Wrangler diesel vs V6 MPG

When diesel is $1.00 more than gas - which historically, for about a 10-15 year period it was - then the diesel costs more to run than the V6. At $0.50 more per gallon than gas as it is locally today the diesel costs $100 less in fuel a year.

Great if your a penny pincher, but then the diesel is a $4800 up charge so it will take 48 years driving 15k miles a year. And then you still have to put up with the constant emissions equipment failures costing in many cases $5,000+ a repair.

No thanks, give me a gas V8 and I’ll be happy.

People are too concerned with MPG in a world where that should be the last concern on consumers minds.
Every post that comes up about diesel you bash it. If you don't want one that's fine but we don't care. Me and OTHERS would like a diesel. Lot's of torque and great fuel economy. Since I plan on towing a rzr from TX to CO many times a year the diesel with it's 30-35% better fuel economy makes perfect since.. Ever towed with an ecoboost? I have and you can expect pitiful fuel economy just like your gas guzzling V8

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’m not sure what advantage a diesel would have over the eco boost motors, personally I would love to see the PowerBoost in a future bronco. We have that in our new F150 and it’s impressive
Ford Bronco Will a diesel Bronco be in the mix soon ? 8953D063-39A6-4371-ACC5-19FE0FB40625

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

his math looks accurate though... so not sure where the "great fuel economy" comes from, unless its about range?

the 2.7L has 400ftlbs, the most powerful ranger diesel only has 370... not sure what the plot looks like for the diesel though.
30-35% better fuel economy towing is great to me- don't know about you..... If my 2020 PSD can get better fuel economy than my 17 3.5 EB can then a diesel bronco will beat the 2.7EB by a large majority

Sponsored

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There will be a Hybrid or a full EV before there will ever be a diesel
Agree. Diesel is ment for towing. And people buy trucks not SUVs for towing. Your more likely to find one in the Ranger than the Bronco. And I dout the Ranger will ever get one. So the odds the Bronco will have one is vertually zero.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Based on what is being bantered about in DC, I’m betting on something with lots of batteries. Anything that uses ICE, is considered evil and anything using Lithium is great. In my opinion, I still like the sound a V8 motor makes, but I know those days are numbered. I don’t think a diesel has a chance of getting in the line up.

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t want it for towing, got a F250 for that. Now a little trailer with a Razr, or a 4wheeler is not out of the question. But just about anything will pull that. I want a diesel because I like the idea of it, the low end torque, the fuel economy, the rumble. The Ford Toller T4 has a small diesel and would really like to have one of those, they are the almost perfect off road vehicle from the factory but they won’t allow import of them.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Every post that comes up about diesel you bash it. If you don't want one that's fine but we don't care. Me and OTHERS would like a diesel. Lot's of torque and great fuel economy. Since I plan on towing a rzr from TX to CO many times a year the diesel with it's 30-35% better fuel economy makes perfect since.. Ever towed with an ecoboost? I have and you can expect pitiful fuel economy just like your gas guzzling V8
I don’t hate diesels but the math doesn’t work out. I just mathematically proved to you why your not saving any money. Better fuel economy doesn’t mean diddly squat when the savings results in $100 difference over 15k miles.
Modern V8s are anything but gas guzzling they’ve improved leaps and strides. Diesels unfortunately have regressed. So if a V8 costs $150-200 more in fuel a year than a diesel what the hell is the difference? You get diesel torque without the cost penalty.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
at the end of the day it doesn’t matter what you or I want. Ford isn’t going to market a diesel when the cost difference doesn’t make sense. The Bronco has a low tow rating so that defense doesn’t work.
Sponsored