Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr basemansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I bought @RCI Offroad roof rack for my 2 door Bronco because I like its looks better than Trailrax’s set up. I still think RCI has the best looking system, but I ran into rattling issues that leave me disappointed enough to put my old OEM roof rack back on. I use Inspired Overland’s light weight RTT. RCI’s rack has been rattling and emitting this popping sound that sounds like my hardtop is warping. I’ve disassembled, then reassembled it with rubber washers where I suspected problem points were. Same problem after a few days. Then I added 1/4” foam padding to where the rack hooks to the hardtop. No lasting improvement. I think there are gaps left due to included rubber hardware not fitting snuggly enough. Maybe that’s what’s slamming onto my roof during daily drives. Maybe I’m an outlier and more patient people create their own fixes, but at $1,028 not including light bar I expected more.
That sucks to hear. I bought the cheapy Amazon Hooke road for $450 and just went on an overlanding trip and it moves around considerably/ make noise from that exact location. For $450 I can expect it but not at over 1k!!! I think I will get rid of the hooke road and get one that comes down and mounts under the hardtop like the Gobi rack or similar. Hopefully a competitor will jump in and be in the $1,400 range instead of over 2k like Gobi.

rack.jpg
Sponsored

Chvless956c

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
i have the rci rack on the 4 door. i used both rci’s and JCR’s options to prevent sagging in the back, had an initial rattle on the front fairing that i adjusted and tightened and have not had issues for over 6 months now. have had it loaded several times too.

doyouglas

Black Diamond
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the RCI rack 4 door as well. I installed the JCR hardtop support bracket + the one RCI supplied. By itself, the rack does not make any noise commuting local and on freeway. However, ever since I put my RTT which is 220 lbs on the RCI rack, I experience crackling, banging sound. I knew on the first ride that it was the RTT metal railing getting in contact with the extrusion bars. I spent 2 hours puting stick on felt all around the metal railing on the RTT and it immediately got rid of that sound. I double it up the felt just to be sure it is absorbing the contact.

Now I am experiencing a new noise coming from where the JCR support bracket is. I believe it's not coming from the support bracket but the hard top itself. To best describe it, it sounds like a creaking noise or two styrofoam rubbing against each other. It is quiet annoying. I can replicate the issue when I press against the hard top around the area and I would hear it. To mitigate the issue, I put 1.5" foam block between the hard top and roll bar to put pressue on the hardtop. Now I'm driving noise free for now....

It just takes some trial and error :)

Overall, I'm still happy with my purchase after some tweaks and modification. Here is how my RCI rack is looking with my RTT.

Ford Bronco Disappointing RCI roof rack… PXL_20240511_010252025

Ford Bronco Disappointing RCI roof rack… PXL_20240512_174759006

Ford Bronco Disappointing RCI roof rack… PXL_20240517_210015451

OP
OP
Gypsy RN

Gypsy RN

Black Diamond
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I added foam padding to contact points between my tent and rails. It helps out quite a bit with noise, but doesn’t get rid of it. I’ll spend Monday installing my OEM rack. Not as capable, but at least it’s quiet. Unfortunately RCI limits returns to 30 days. Buyer is responsible for shipping and restocking fees if you send it before a month. I really can’t recommend RCI metal works roof rack.

mciasto

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4Dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
sorry about your issues.

if it helps at all, my @TrailRax TRMR is losing coating and already rusting around the attachment points. only had it on there 8 months.

Ford Bronco Disappointing RCI roof rack… IMG_4336

Last edited:

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That sucks to hear. I bought the cheapy Amazon Hooke road for $450 and just went on an overlanding trip and it moves around considerably/ make noise from that exact location. For $450 I can expect it but not at over 1k!!! I think I will get rid of the hooke road and get one that comes down and mounts under the hardtop like the Gobi rack or similar. Hopefully a competitor will jump in and be in the $1,400 range instead of over 2k like Gobi.

Did you put the foam pads under the pieces that clamp to the roof? I've got the older 4 dr version and it's been rock solid, even with a RTT.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Bummer on the RCI, it's definitely a nice looking RR. My JCR (looks very similar) with load routing bracket has been silent, but haven't got the tent up there yet.

GTS104

Base
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr basemansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did you put the foam pads under the pieces that clamp to the roof? I've got the older 4 dr version and it's been rock solid, even with a RTT.
I did not get any type of foam pads in the box. Might play around with some pieces.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks great but at that price I would expect it to be perfect with 0 rattles. I need a rack for kayaks but for sure will go with the stock rack.

Sponsored

ronij

Badlands
First Name
Roni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands non-sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

sorry about your issues.

if it helps at all, my @TrailRax TRMR is losing coating and already rusting around the attachment points. only had it on there 8 months.

They have replacement stainless steel brackets now. I think that they will send under warranty.

Cbgarrett

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought @RCI Offroad roof rack for my 2 door Bronco because I like its looks better than Trailrax’s set up. I still think RCI has the best looking system, but I ran into rattling issues that leave me disappointed enough to put my old OEM roof rack back on. I use Inspired Overland’s light weight RTT. RCI’s rack has been rattling and emitting this popping sound that sounds like my hardtop is warping. I’ve disassembled, then reassembled it with rubber washers where I suspected problem points were. Same problem after a few days. Then I added 1/4” foam padding to where the rack hooks to the hardtop. No lasting improvement. I think there are gaps left due to included rubber hardware not fitting snuggly enough. Maybe that’s what’s slamming onto my roof during daily drives. Maybe I’m an outlier and more patient people create their own fixes, but at $1,028 not including light bar I expected more.
Just looking at this photo, are those black pads under the bracket the hard rubber pads that RCI provided, or the foam you added?

I have the RCI half rack and it's been rock solid

RCI Offroad

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4Dr. 1st Edition, 2022 Badlands 4Dr.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi! Thank you for bringing this to our attention and your support! We've reached out to you via email with some photos and suggestions from our engineers. All in all there should be no gap between the rubber pad and the roof of the Bronco. In our instructions it provides suggestions on how to adjust the height of the rack. In our email to you, we have provided visual differences between the 2Door mounts and the 4Door mounts, hoping that we can clarify you received the correct ones because those could be a cause to the fitment of the pad in relation to the roof. We want to make sure that you are happy with the rack at the end of the day and provide you the support necessary!

OP
OP
Gypsy RN

Gypsy RN

Black Diamond
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just looking at this photo, are those black pads under the bracket
Just looking at this photo, are those black pads under the bracket the hard rubber pads that RCI provided, or the foam you added?

I have the RCI half rack and it's been rock solid
pads I added there and on the cross bars touching my roof rack.
Sponsored