Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nicely done. That's where mine is and I've noticed no ill effects to the performance from blocking the IC.

PXL_20230624_235601056 (1)1.jpg
If it's going to have an effect, mileage will most likely be the first thing you notice.

Aztec1382

Base
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Base
where did you purchase the winch cradle you used

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's very clean - how on earth did you make it? Did you document your process? I'd love to see that work.
I didn't document much. I started with a RC winch tray and built the center section to support it then bent the wings in a brake to get the clean lines. I have a fab shop at my disposable so this kind of stuff is pretty simple.

Sponsored

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Was the tray itself something you purchased or cut out on a table and bent up? Also awesome idea on the location of the winch solenoid. I am currently working on a mount for my hidden winch and you are making me reconsider going with the RC hidden winch mount. Maybe this will be my V2. :unsure:

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have never wanted a hidden winch ,I think the main points are clearing tangles,feed issued and maintenance I live near the ocean and that thing would just rust under there.
Great job though it would be great somewhere inland.

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very well done! hmmm.... makes me want to modify mine.

As for issues, i've had mine for 2 and a half years with no issues. And I use it A LOT. <---- Self Burn

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
where did you purchase the winch cradle you used
Was the tray itself something you purchased or cut out on a table and bent up?
The winch baseplate started life as a generic unit for an 87-06 Jeep Wrangler. I had it leftover after building a new bumper for my '05 LJ:

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 IMG_4329.JPG

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 IMG_4860.JPG

Sponsored
OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Very well done! hmmm.... makes me want to modify mine.

As for issues, i've had mine for 2 and a half years with no issues. And I use it A LOT. <---- Self Burn
My issues on my first hidden mount were purely self inflicted... I didn't put enough thought into accessing the clutch lever so I ended up making a little reach tool to access it down below the radiator, which meant popping the hood every time I needed to winch, or just powering out instead of free-spooling. And in snow season, that was a regular event as you are well aware (love your videos, BTW). Similarly, with the control box mounted to the winch chassis, it meant that in the event the wireless remote gave up the ghost I would have had to break my arm in 7 places to plug in the wired controller. Just never liked that aspect, although knock on wood never had the issue. And finally, again thankfully never had the problem, but I just didn't like the idea of not being able to see the rope winding back in to help ensure it wasn't packing up on one side.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The winch baseplate started life as a generic unit for an 87-06 Jeep Wrangler. I had it leftover after building a new bumper for my '05 LJ:

IMG_4329.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG
Looks similar to this one:

https://www.offroadwarehouse.com/product/jeep-winch-mounting-plate-8706-wrangler-yjtj-1189

Thanks! Bumper came out great, you have a tube bender too or welded on a pre fab tube?

I'm going to bookmark this plate in case I decide to redo my RC hidden winch setup. I have the modular bumper and I think I can make it work similarly in it. It's funny you mention the pit falls of having the free spool lever tucked behind the bumper and it's limitations. I have been working through a solution for the RC Hidden winch mount and it looks something like this right now in the planning stages:

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 53600192160_9067973311_4k
Untitled by Michael Halat, on Flickr

I specifically bought a winch that can have the clutch clocked and is wireless so never have to open the hood to engage it.

Video:

Clutch demo video

I am going to drill a hole in the winch skid with a grommet to use the extension to engage/disengage the clutch.

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks similar to this one:

https://www.offroadwarehouse.com/product/jeep-winch-mounting-plate-8706-wrangler-yjtj-1189

Thanks! Bumper came out great, you have a tube bender too or welded on a pre fab tube?

I'm going to bookmark this plate in case I decide to redo my RC hidden winch setup. I have the modular bumper and I think I can make it work similarly in it. It's funny you mention the pit falls of having the free spool lever tucked behind the bumper and it's limitations. I have been working through a solution for the RC Hidden winch mount and it looks something like this right now in the planning stages:

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 53600192160_9067973311_4k
Untitled by Michael Halat, on Flickr

I specifically bought a winch that can have the clutch clocked and is wireless so never have to open the hood to engage it.

Video:

Clutch demo video

I am going to drill a hole in the winch skid with a grommet to use the extension to engage/disengage the clutch.
I believe that RC Jeep winch plate is exactly the same one I started with; I picked it up off Amazon several years ago.

Yes, I have a tube bender.

I was happy to see how easy it was to clock this Badland 12k winch so the clutch lever is easily accessible through the face of the bumper:

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 IMG_6238.JPG

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 IMG_6240.JPG

Ford Bronco DIY Hidden Winch Mount v2.0 IMG_6242.JPG

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't document much. I started with a RC winch tray and built the center section to support it then bent the wings in a brake to get the clean lines. I have a fab shop at my disposable so this kind of stuff is pretty simple.
Oh, I thought you indicated you built your bumper itself.
Sponsored