Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FYI - after logging in Montana I found the Rough Country Hidden Winch performed like a champ. It pulled logs of a couple thousand pounds with no problem, but for lacking feature - access to the Engage/Disengage lever. Spooling it out via the motor is way too slow and could mean the difference in a successful rescue as time is everything in emergencies.

I have successfully developed several solutions that now provide a method of using the Engage/Disengage lever from the front of the bumper

Ford Bronco DIY - remote engage/disengage Rough Country Hidden Winch lever IMG_1792

this solution doesn’t require opening the engine hood or dismantle anything while it won’t be harmed when 4 wheeling. I have some other designs that I am working on as alternatives but they all end up with the same outcome. Now I just need a lever that fits the 1/4” hex fitting instead of the ratchet.
Sponsored

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interested for sure!

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How are you going to do that when you're buried in mud or up against rocks?

OP
OP
Bellime

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How are you going to do that when you're buried in mud or up against rocks?
Well, if your buried that far, then a permanently attached lever is the only solution, so you can blindly reach down in the muck to flip it.

OP
OP
Bellime

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, if your buried that far, then a permanently attached lever is the only solution, so you can blindly reach down in the muck to flip it.
There was another approach I scoped out, but it requires opening the hood and drilling a hole in the cross frame member behind the radiator

Sponsored

Greasyfingers429

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Range Rover Sport Td6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As clean of an install as the hidden mount is, these drawbacks are what have kept me waiting to see what else comes out. Glad to see you sharing what you have come up with.
Even with the draft design I made for a front hitch receiver for my removable winch, I ran into access issues for the hitch pin if I buried it under the front skid plate.
One suggestion I have for you is to lock your lever from rattling out of the desired position. And provide a visual indicator when it’s in the locked/unlocked positions.

OP
OP
Bellime

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As clean of an install as the hidden mount is, these drawbacks are what have kept me waiting to see what else comes out. Glad to see you sharing what you have come up with.
Even with the draft design I made for a front hitch receiver for my removable winch, I ran into access issues for the hitch pin if I buried it under the front skid plate.
One suggestion I have for you is to lock your lever from rattling out of the desired position. And provide a visual indicator when it’s in the locked/unlocked positions.
Still in testing before I make a front mount to hold the tip and then potentially a fixed lever.

OP
OP
Bellime

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After final testing I have finalized the installation. All parts are off the shelf with modifications.
The final assembly is here
Ford Bronco DIY - remote engage/disengage Rough Country Hidden Winch lever IMG_1803

installed at the winch

Ford Bronco DIY - remote engage/disengage Rough Country Hidden Winch lever IMG_1804

with the bumper on

Ford Bronco DIY - remote engage/disengage Rough Country Hidden Winch lever IMG_1806

with the modified aluminum ratchet it stays tucked behind the bumper

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are you publishing your notes on this beauty or selling it ? I have to tear into my hidden winch this Saturday and replace the controller.

Ford Bronco DIY - remote engage/disengage Rough Country Hidden Winch lever 20230614_151122

OP
OP
Bellime

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are you publishing your notes on this beauty or selling it ? I have to tear into my hidden winch this Saturday and replace the controller.

20230614_151122.jpg
RC didn’t seem interested in a solution.

Sponsored

JMacBadlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After final testing I have finalized the installation. All parts are off the shelf with modifications.
The final assembly is here
Ford Bronco DIY - remote engage/disengage Rough Country Hidden Winch lever 20230614_151122

installed at the winch

with the bumper on

with the modified aluminum ratchet it stays tucked behind the bumper
This seems to be the best option I have seen and I am copying this. I am just having trouble with the connection from the winch to the opening on the 90 degree adapter. What did you use or modify for get that fit?

OP
OP
Bellime

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This seems to be the best option I have seen and I am copying this. I am just having trouble with the connection from the winch to the opening on the 90 degree adapter. What did you use or modify for get that fit?
A Dremel tool.

OP
OP
Bellime

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Interesting you just now finding this. Mine is still functional, but the material is rusting. The idea and design works, the material sucks….. more research…..

JMacBadlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking the same thing with the material the adapter is made of. I was going to look into if I could take off and put on just when I'm wheeling or spray it down with rustoleum before install.
Sponsored