Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seeing a bunch of posts about really expensive mud flaps that seem less than ideal in addition to being quite expensive.

Here is a DIY approach that I have had on my Bronco for a couple of months now and I'm very happy with the results so far. These do require some fabrication. The trickiest part being the front flap mounts. I decided to make my mounts out of 3/6" A36 steel. (I called around and got a scrap piece for $25 from a local fabrication shop).

Here are the drawings for the mounts (front - the front's are "handed" so you need to make a mirror image as well - and rear):

Ford Bronco DIY Sasquatch Mud Flaps Front_Mount_Drawin

Ford Bronco DIY Sasquatch Mud Flaps Rear_Mount_Drawin

Here you can see the front left mount being fitted:

Ford Bronco DIY Sasquatch Mud Flaps front_mount_fittin

I used the "horns" that Ford mounts the anti-intrusion bars into on non-Sasquatch models to secure my mounts to the Bronco. Ford handily left a bolt in the horn that I simply reversed and mounted from inside the horn through the mud flap mount. Note this requires an 18mm wrench which I did not ever have a need for prior to this.

Some grinding is required to fit the mount inside the horn but not terrible job to fit them.

Here's what the front looks like installed:

Ford Bronco DIY Sasquatch Mud Flaps front_mount

You'll notice towards the "top right" of the mud flap a bolt securing the top of it.

A few things to note. The mud flaps themselves are made of out very flexible rubber flooring. Specifically this stuff:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DCR5D5E/

in order to make the fronts conform to the wheel arch and flare I "reinforced" the rubber flooring with some thin sheet steel (I used a shit ton of rubber cement to sandwich them together). This does a couple of things. First as mentioned ensures the flap can take the shape of the flare and wheel arch and second enables bolts to be used to attach the flap to the mount and the flare securely (essentially acting as a giant washer creating a sheet steel -> rubber flooring -> steel mount / flare sandwich. The sheet steel only goes as far down the flap as the bottom of the mount so the everything below the rock rails / steps is flappy rubber flooring only.

How is that top bolt attached to the flare you ask? Nutsert to the rescue!

Ford Bronco DIY Sasquatch Mud Flaps flare_nutsert

The "humps" that are located inline with the flare locks makes a perfect attachment point. Also not visible is I made a spacer for each side approximately 5/8" thick between the top of the flap and the nutsert to get the "look" right (see last pic).

Here's how it looks from the back:

Ford Bronco DIY Sasquatch Mud Flaps front_fla

The rears are much simpler. They are attached to a rear frame gusset. Just need to drill 2 holes in the frame (get a good drill bit!) on each side. You'll need to pull the wheels to do this. Also a little bit of trimming of the inner fender well is required. I used a coping saw to trim it (you only take 2" off the dangly bit in the middle).

Here's what the rear mount looks like:

Ford Bronco DIY Sasquatch Mud Flaps rear_mount

Just like with the fronts, I used thin sheet steel to create a "sandwich" with sheet steel -> rubber flooring -> steel mount. These bolts are a bit of a bitch to get in not gonna lie but a little fiddling and they're good to go.

Here's the "I identify as a semi" view...

Ford Bronco DIY Sasquatch Mud Flaps rear_fla

Pros:

About $150 all-in for all 4 wheels
Strong as shit - Act as anti-intrusion bars in the front
Flexible - literally... flappy mud flaps.
Looks - I think they look fine.
They work! - 100% less rocks thrown at the the Bronco and the guy behind you

Cons:

Somewhat involved fabrication
Need to add nutsert to flares
Need to pull rear wheels to drill holes for rear flaps
Need to drill holes in rear frame gusset
Need to use a tool to remove front flares
Not sexy... basic bitch mud flaps

Thanks for attending my TED Talk.

Ford Bronco DIY Sasquatch Mud Flaps front_side
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheSSBoz

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

(y)(y)

I have a follow up question: how many miles you got on those tires?

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

(y)(y)

I have a follow up question: how many miles you got on those tires?
10K when these pictures were taken. 2 rotations so far.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I absolutely love and can appreciate the drawings with dimensions for the supports. I am an engineer by trade so I assume you must be an engineer or fabricator of some sort as well.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I absolutely love and can appreciate the drawings with dimensions for the supports. I am an engineer by trade so I assume you must be an engineer or fabricator of some sort as well.
I'm kind of a mutt... mostly software guy but dad was an engineer so I guess it rubbed off!

He is always critical of my drawings because they aren't properly toleranced! :)

CARdiac

First Edition
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 Alpha, MINI Cooper S JCW, TVR 280i
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Anyone on here willing to make me a set of mounting bars?

Hill Man

Black Diamond
First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi Don, thanks for sharing your work, based on your ideas, would there be an issue with just extending the crash bar out with u shaped channel instead of cutting, in respect to wheel clearances, extreme shock compression, or whatever. Thanks.
Ger

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi Don, thanks for sharing your work, based on your ideas, would there be an issue with just extending the crash bar out with u shaped channel instead of cutting, in respect to wheel clearances, extreme shock compression, or whatever. Thanks.
Ger
I'm going to say No because this photo is with the wheel turned not quite all the way.

It makes sense since they remove the crash bars themselves for the sasquatch package.

20220525_120431.jpg

yippeekiyay

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-dr Badsquatch, 1998 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great freaking job, and thank you for the details and for sharing! If my Rekgen's don't work out I am going DIY and anything I learn/add from this I will be sure to post back in!

Sponsored

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Dad doesn't like your drawings? How does he feel when you say things like steel/rubber/steel "sandwich." I understood, but you were speaking my language. Nice job all the way around.

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in the process of using your drawings to fabricate my own flaps (hope that's OK). I'm going with polyethelene plastic kind of like rokblokz. I'll post my finished result next week hopefully!

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in the process of using your drawings to fabricate my own flaps (hope that's OK). I'm going with polyethelene plastic kind of like rokblokz. I'll post my finished result next week hopefully!
Cool! Can't wait to see them! I'm pretty happy with the rubber flooring, interested to see how the Poly holds up.

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I built my Mudflaps using your templates with slight modification and different flap material, more like the rockblokz. I haven’t mounted the rears yet but the front performed well on a Montana mule deer hunt and on other muddy roads around the PNW.

666BA287-19E3-48BF-8B5F-4B7AEFCC0D19.jpeg

03B8AD83-D14A-4C3D-8D82-6DD426786750.jpeg

8C61C49C-D578-4195-AF58-CD62ED38C7E6.jpeg

B6FCFFAF-A59F-4681-B8C6-642C08B01E64.jpeg

AC294E80-9B8E-407C-8F6C-1304F1F30FAA.jpeg

5863DF3C-5AFF-4637-9C5F-681BBD01BDE9.jpeg

7CB71BA1-655F-4462-8EBC-07BE07B2211C.jpeg

5713735E-D164-4DA6-812B-BA31B1A62105.jpeg

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I built my Mudflaps using your templates with slight modification and different flap material, more like the rockblokz. I haven’t mounted the rears yet but the front performed well on a Montana mule deer hunt and on other muddy roads around the PNW.
That's awesome!!!
Sponsored