Sponsored

Do G.O.A.T modes make a difference to a skilled driver?

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First off I just drive trails, I don't do baja high speed desert stuff (although I do a lot of rural gravel road driving at speed)

Don't be afraid to learn how to drive your vehicle on your own. Experience makes an experienced driver, not the computer doing everything for you. You are offroading not flying a fighter jet, it isn't sudden death (usually) if you mess up and get stuck or slip a wheel. Pick your fights, learn it with friends around preferably with a home field advantage.

When you don't have traction control and lockers making you look like you know what you are doing you have to think about how to drive the truck, how to keep weight on the tires to maintain traction, how to feather the throttle etc. If you learn that and then throw the digical magic stuff at it you will be far better off than just letting the truck try to figure out what it has to do because you have no real idea what you are doing.

Becoming a better offroad driver should be the goal of anyone wanting to drive offroad, not just finding the best system possible to do it for you.

Easy peasy. Put t-case in FWD and set parking brake. Turn. AKA "Front Dig"

Yup, that's a Jeep Wrangler alright. I put a twin stick in my '79 Bronco and could do that, but I must have missed where you can put the new Bronco in FWD and select which brake is locked up when you pull the parking brake. Dogging automatic windows because you can crank them up by hand doesn't make sense either when you don't have a manual crank.

Back to GOAT modes, I think we saw a few professional drivers using them in addition to being good off-road drivers.

Using your phone to cast a YouTube video doesn't make you less of a channel flipper if you don't learn to switch your CRT TV to UHF and crank through a few dozen detents until you get a channel coming in clear enough to watch and hear the programming.

Does my GPS unit hunt for me? No, but it has saved my ass before in unfamiliar territory.
Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So Tesla can create an autopilot feature and people have oohs and aahs, but ford develops off road drive modes and folks start crapping on it....
Most of you keep your traction control on when you drive, and it keeps you from careening into a ditch, but GOAT modes are somehow lame 🤷‍♂️
I own nothing with traction control.

I am not crapping on it, just saying you will be a better offroad driver if you know what you are doing without it and use it rather than just using it blindly not knowing what you are doing.

Yup, that's a Jeep Wrangler alright. I put a twin stick in my '79 Bronco and could do that, but I must have missed where you can put the new Bronco in FWD and select which brake is locked up when you pull the parking brake. Dogging automatic windows because you can crank them up by hand doesn't make sense either when you don't have a manual crank.
Just saying the theory is nothing new and you don't have to have a computer to do it. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the Bronco do it in the trailer in hopes that one could in fact put it in FWD.

Nothingburger to me anyway, I guess it is only a 2.7 thing.

Back to GOAT modes, I think we saw a few professional drivers using them in addition to being good off-road drivers.
Referring to everybody here clambering for goat modes because it is like having Tom Brady be your DD or some BS like that.

Using your phone to cast a YouTube video doesn't make you less of a channel flipper if you don't learn to switch your CRT TV to UHF and crank through a few dozen detents until you get a channel coming in clear enough to watch and hear the programming.
Thinking offroad with/without TC is on par with flipping channels with a phone vs a switch... :ROFLMAO:

Does my GPS unit hunt for me? No, but it has saved my ass before in unfamiliar territory.
It can also take you into some interesting areas if you follow it blindly.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just saying the theory is nothing new and you don't have to have a computer to do it. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the Bronco do it in the trailer in hopes that one could in fact put it in FWD.

Nothingburger to me anyway, I guess it is only a 2.7 thing.
It's on all the automatics which has almost drawn me to the dark side because there isn't a twin stick/FWD option. Ford used the same tech on their Focus RS with a manual transmission, though, and called it torque vectoring. I was really hoping the manual transmission Broncos would get it too, but I bet a bean counter said that they needed to control everything about the vehicle to include it or face frivolous lawsuits/warranty claims.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's on all the automatics which has almost drawn me to the dark side because there isn't a twin stick/FWD option. Ford used the same tech on their Focus RS with a manual transmission, though, and called it torque vectoring. I was really hoping the manual transmission Broncos would get it too, but I bet a bean counter said that they needed to control everything about the vehicle to include it or face frivolous lawsuits/warranty claims.
Well this is awkward.

We ordered the automatic :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored