Sponsored

Do G.O.A.T modes make a difference to a skilled driver?

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Speculation at this point, but just put in Baja then switch to 2H/no lockers.
Our best reference is how it works on the Raptor, so I don't think that is the case.

At a minimum, Baja keeps the RPM's within peak boost range and likely doesn't engage traction control until a higher slippage threshold has been met.

Sport is designed for asphalt, so it won't hold the RPM's as high and will engage traction control sooner.

Edit: This is assuming the 10AT.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The various GOAT modes sorta remind me on the ///M modes in a BMW. Sure, you can absolutely drive an M3 at a certain level all the time in standard mode, but the magic that M1 and M2 mode do in an F80 is like nothing else. all new shift points, throttle response, suspension damping, ABS changes, etc. makes for a whole different car

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2 questions:

How do the GOAT modes work with Manual?

Can aftermarket "tunes" be used to add different off-road modes or to tweak current modes?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just saw this post. I spent a couple of hours experimenting with a couple of “traction” modes and the mechanical settings with my rear locker and 4wd ho/low today. I am an experienced driver, not the best, not the worst. I can say, without question, the electronics can produce results you cannot duplicate through skill, throttle and brakes alone. Other situations, I felt like the computer could not “better” my ability to adjust wheel spin, steering angle and chalice of mechanical settings. No electronic setting alone bettered the mechanical advantage of the rear locker or 4wd for ultimate performance, but I am excited to see how the modes can make the Bronco incrementally more capable than I can alone!

Sponsored

pitter_patter

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Our best reference is how it works on the Raptor, so I don't think that is the case.

At a minimum, Baja keeps the RPM's within peak boost range and likely doesn't engage traction control until a higher slippage threshold has been met.

Sport is designed for asphalt, so it won't hold the RPM's as high and will engage traction control sooner.

Edit: This is assuming the 10AT.
So better than sport mode? Who knows. I'd rather have rather have sport mode than normal mode.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2 questions:

How do the GOAT modes work with Manual?

Can aftermarket "tunes" be used to add different off-road modes or to tweak current modes?
Goat modes with manual will affect throttle response, traction control, switch settings. Just not the transmission stuff.

Aftermarket cannot add additional tables, but they may be able to modify the "ECO" mode setting to actually have a performance "sport" setting instead.

So better than sport mode? Who knows. I'd rather have rather have sport mode than normal mode.
Probably not. If it is like Raptor, Baja mode will not be suitable for street use. Maintains constant high RPMs (3K-4K) and avoids shifting, traction control allows tire spin even with light throttle, and only works in 2H (no 4A). This is a low-performance mode on street, but great for burnouts if that is your thing. It is really targeted for hi-speed offroad.

I am not fan of Sport mode on Raptor for daily use (constant elevated RPM is annoying), but it is suitable for street use. However, a tune on Normal mode is better (better performance without annoying RPM hold).

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From someone who owns a Raptor and has attended their Raptor Assault class. The drive modes make a huge difference. They had us run an off-road lap in each of the drive modes so that we could feel the difference and it's truly amazing how much of a difference each mode made the course feel. Acceleration/steering/braking - all of those things seemed to change with the different inputs. I feel like the Bronco is going to be very much like this as well.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm looking forward to it. It's so easy to get into trouble.... And so hard to get out! This is a little insurance.
Yes, I find it always better to avoid getting stuck, rather than having to get out afterward. Always found it counter productive to wait until I am stuck before thinking about avoiding it in the first place.

Sponsored

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
the real reason we take the doors off right?

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Think of it this way....
If you give a very skilled carpenter a hammer, a handsaw, wood, and nails he can build you a house.
If you give him more specialized tools it makes it that much easier for him.
The average person would have a much harder time with the bare essentials.
The new off roaders seem to use a lot of fancy electronics to make the job much easier.

pitter_patter

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Goat modes with manual will affect throttle response, traction control, switch settings. Just not the transmission stuff.

Aftermarket cannot add additional tables, but they may be able to modify the "ECO" mode setting to actually have a performance "sport" setting instead.

Probably not. If it is like Raptor, Baja mode will not be suitable for street use. Maintains constant high RPMs (3K-4K) and avoids shifting, traction control allows tire spin even with light throttle, and only works in 2H (no 4A). This is a low-performance mode on street, but great for burnouts if that is your thing. It is really targeted for hi-speed offroad.

I am not fan of Sport mode on Raptor for daily use (constant elevated RPM is annoying), but it is suitable for street use. However, a tune on Normal mode is better (better performance without annoying RPM hold).
I'd rather have sport mode than normal mode, as ECO will be what I use most for daily driving. It would be nice to have sport to flip to for a few minutes of fun here and there when the opportunity presents itself.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
First off I just drive trails, I don't do baja high speed desert stuff (although I do a lot of rural gravel road driving at speed)

Don't be afraid to learn how to drive your vehicle on your own. Experience makes an experienced driver, not the computer doing everything for you. You are offroading not flying a fighter jet, it isn't sudden death (usually) if you mess up and get stuck or slip a wheel. Pick your fights, learn it with friends around preferably with a home field advantage.

When you don't have traction control and lockers making you look like you know what you are doing you have to think about how to drive the truck, how to keep weight on the tires to maintain traction, how to feather the throttle etc. If you learn that and then throw the digical magic stuff at it you will be far better off than just letting the truck try to figure out what it has to do because you have no real idea what you are doing.

Becoming a better offroad driver should be the goal of anyone wanting to drive offroad, not just finding the best system possible to do it for you.

It's like people dogging the Trail Turn Assist in the other thread. You think you can lock the brakes on the inside rear wheel at will without it? Post that shit up on YouTube, because the dozens of videos I've seen of Jeeps on switchbacks almost always include some lengthy eleventy-billion point turn.
Easy peasy. Put t-case in FWD and set parking brake. Turn. AKA "Front Dig"

Reactions: Wyo

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So Tesla can create an autopilot feature and people have oohs and aahs, but ford develops off road drive modes and folks start crapping on it....
Most of you keep your traction control on when you drive, and it keeps you from careening into a ditch, but GOAT modes are somehow lame 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored