Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I am a bicyclist and need a bike rack. The problem is, the spare tire blocks the typical bike rack. The fix is to insert a 6" spacer between the receiver and the bike rack mount. This results in a reduced capacity for the rack due to the moment arm. I was told by the rack installers that a 6" extension spacer reduced the load capacity by 10 lbs. So, I was thinking today as a Jeep Wrangler drove past me without a spare attached to the back that I could remove the spare and fit the rack without a spacer.

Do you think it would be a really bad idea to remove the spare? I would not go into back country without a spare, but for riding around town and between Calgary and Canmore, I think I could get away without a spare. I could always keep a battery powered compressor and some tire plugs in the back.

Thoughts? Keep in mind, it is more important for me to be able to transport my bikes than the way my Bronco looks. Shameful, Yes! I know, but I really don't like using spacer between the rack and receiver.
Sponsored

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am a bicyclist and need a bike rack. The problem is, the spare tire blocks the typical bike rack. The fix is to insert a 6" spacer between the receiver and the bike rack mount. This results in a reduced capacity for the rack due to the moment arm. I was told by the rack installers that a 6" extension spacer reduced the load capacity by 10 lbs. So, I was thinking today as a Jeep Wrangler drove past me without a spare attached to the back that I could remove the spare and fit the rack without a spacer.

Do you think it would be a really bad idea to remove the spare? I would not go into back country without a spare, but for riding around town and between Calgary and Canmore, I think I could get away without a spare. I could always keep a battery powered compressor and some tire plugs in the back.

Thoughts? Keep in mind, it is more important for me to be able to transport my bikes than the way my Bronco looks. Shameful, Yes! I know, but I really don't like using spacer between the rack and receiver.
Yes. You really do.

OP
OP

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP
OP

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Jim, I use this one on my Jeep, and it does the job. I know it say it's for a Jeep, but it will fit a Bronco. It just hangs from the tire, and is secured by two straps that hook under the bottom of the rear door. Simple to install.

The pic shows it secured under the bumper, but it works just fine hooked to the door.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports...locphy=9009899&hvtargid=pla-568889512259&th=1
Looks like the rack I used to hang on the back of my 1970 VW Beetle. It will not work for my eMTB's ... they weigh over 50 lbs. 100 lbs with two bikes exceeds the 70 lb rating. The link is appreciated all the same.

This is the rack I want to use since it swings away to permit opining the rear door.

https://rockymounts.com/backstage/

Last edited:

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For your use case I'd say you would be okay. A lot of modern cars don't even come with donut spares.
Good luck filling a bronco tire with a can of "fix a flat" that the modern cars you refer to come with.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My ‘19 Mustang GT came with an air compressor, no spare. You’ll be fine and you always have a bike as a backup.

Sponsored

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used to have a 2017 Mini Cooper convertible w/o runflat tires. No spare. No room. Carried a can of green slime which has its own issues if used. Had several slow leaks but never a no drive blowout. Currently drive a BMW M2 Competition that has non runflat high performance tires. Car came w/ a little compressor and a can of sealant. Haven't had to use it. Perhaps you could take the spare off in bike riding season. Put it back on for the colder months.

For me flat tires run in spurts. May go ten years w/o one then have three or four in two years. It's all a matter of how much risk you want to carry. If you have some kind of road service you're good to go.

OP
OP

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good luck filling a bronco tire with a can of "fix a flat" that the modern cars you refer to come with.
I would never consider using a can of Fix-It-Flat. A fit for purpose portable air compressor and a tire repair kit will work fine, IMHO. Even a poorly positioned puncture will get me on the road for a trip to a tire shop. I haven't had a spare tire for years, so I really don't feel the need unless I am off-road where support services are unavailable.

https://www.amazon.com/Tooluxe-5000...s=flat+tire+repair&qid=1641688745&sr=8-4&th=1

OP
OP

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My ‘19 Mustang GT came with an air compressor, no spare. You’ll be fine and you always have a bike as a backup.
Only when the bike is on the back, :cool: Point taken all the same. My first BMW didn't have a spare either and it didn't even have run flat tires. It had a can of sealant and a small DC/cig liger adapter air compressor. The last 2 BMW's have had run flat tires. The last time I had a flat tire was when I was driving off-road in a Yukon. A plug tool and air compressor worked fine. SO, I am now seriously considering storing the spare tire.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Get a tire plug kit with a mini compressor. Otherwise have your phone on you. You’ll be fine. If you do go with out a spare, make sure you buy quality tires. Cheapo brands will disintegrate with a puncture vs just grabbing the nail or having a slow leak.
Sponsored