Sponsored

Do You Get Your Vehicles Serviced at Dealerships?

Do you get your vehicles serviced at dealerships?

• Total voters

jayhawkco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
God knows we have enough polls on this site, but I did a search and didn't find any similar conversations. Just curious how many people only get their maintenance done at dealerships vs. a local shop. It seems like a great majority of the posters say they do it at the dealership. Every time I've ever gotten a quote from one, it was MUCH higher than going with an independent shop near me.

If you do get your maintenance done at dealerships, can you post why you do so? That may convert me I suppose if there were a compelling reason.

Sorry for the poll, but thanks in advance for responses.

Mods: I didn't see a better place for this thread than General Bronco Talk, but if you think there is a better place, don't hesitate to move.

Chris
Sponsored

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have I traditionally, absolutely not. Do I now? Yes, for one simple reason, the last couple I have sold outright wanted that Car Max type report proving all of the scheduled service was performed. I have had deals fall through because I don't have that report. Even though I had detailed mileage, receipts, dates and everything available. I had one fall through because I did one of the oil changes myself and there was a gap on the report. He didn't believe I did it. I find it easier now to pay the $50 for the standard service and get it on the report, then deny the dealer when they want to do the air filter, wipers and silly things like that.

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Combo of dealership and me. Depends on what's needed.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've always handled my own repairs unless it requires a tool that's too expensive to rent or buy to justify the cost. The rare exceptions being warranty work or recalls.

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it’s powertrain related, dealer. For just about everything else, I go independent local owned shops.

With the Bronco being a new design, it’s going dealer for everything for a long time.

Sponsored

Edelfin

Big Bend
First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

At least with my newer Toyota, every service report is available to me online. The warranty info is their too. Easy for me and whoever wants to buy it to keep track of.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I only own vehicles while under warranty. Getting all service done at the dealer is recorded and if they screw up they pay for it. If I bring it to an indy or do it myself, the dealer has an out that the damage was done elsewhere.

Tre

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala, Buick Enclave, '77 Suzuki GS750
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have I traditionally, absolutely not. Do I now? Yes, for one simple reason, the last couple I have sold outright wanted that Car Max type report proving all of the scheduled service was performed. I have had deals fall through because I don't have that report. Even though I had detailed mileage, receipts, dates and everything available. I had one fall through because I did one of the oil changes myself and there was a gap on the report. He didn't believe I did it. I find it easier now to pay the $50 for the standard service and get it on the report, then deny the dealer when they want to do the air filter, wipers and silly things like that.
This is what drives me crazy about trying to sell cars sometimes. Some people have absolutely no idea how to evaluate a used vehicle without a fancy printout saying that you actually took care of it.

It's a used car, not a spaceship... The level of scrutiny sometimes is kind of ridiculous.

"Do you have documented proof that you never farted in the vehicle? I'd like to see your daily air quality logs please." ?

Honestly, pop the hood, check the oil level and make sure there aren't any oil slicks underneath, get in drive it and listen for weird noises, and turn everything on and off to make sure it works.

/rant

Edit: I take my cars to the same guy (and now his son) who have been fixing cars for my family for 25 years. Outside of a recall he's the only one who touches our cars. Luckily, he could print out all of the service records if I asked him to, but I haven't needed to do that to seal a deal yet.

Last edited:

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it’s within warranty, it goes to the dealership for everything that could cause issues with warranty. I got 7 “free” oil changes when I bought my truck so I’m getting them done, then it populates in the Ford app as well. I figure it’s better for resale/trade-in some day.

I do cabin air filters myself as well as tire rotations. I update the Ford app with pictures of receipts and any work I do myself. Once the extended warranty runs out, I’ll likely do it all myself unless I can work out some more free oil changes with the Bronco purchase.

For a first year, new vehicle, I think it’s ultra important to take to the dealership for all service. I’d imagine they’ll be able to pull all sorts of data from the systems to make them better.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I typically do it all the maintenance and service myself. I can change the oil and rotate the tires in any of our vehicles in well under an hour.

This past weekend I even performed the dreaded water pump replacement for the 3.5L Duratec in my wifes Flex. 12 hours from start to finish and less than $500 worth of parts. For comparison, the closest Ford dealer wanted $3500 and said it would take them 2 months to get to it as it needed to go to their heavy repair shop that was responsible for motor rebuilds. No thanks.

edit1. I guess I should specify I will perform the maintenance for out of warranty work.
edit2. For those not familiar with the water pump on the 3.5L NA Duratec, it is internal and driven off of the timing chain. Still would like to meet the engineer who thought that was a good idea.

Sponsored

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know dealerships get a lot of flack, but if you develope a relationship with a service advisor, nothing beats that.
Also, a lot of the dealership guys are actually enthusiasts themselves, so I don't think its nearly as bad as some people say it is.

Ive had a TON of stuff covered under warranty that should not have been and honestly, if I add up all the repairs, it would have easily paid for all the extended warranties I have purchased.

But, the key is finding the right guy and that might be difficult.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I typically have the dealer do it all because then there is the record of it being done by them. Obviously warranty work is done by dealer. Once warranty runs out depending on the service needed I will do it myself or have an independent shop do it

Tre

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala, Buick Enclave, '77 Suzuki GS750
Your Bronco Model
Base
For a first year, new vehicle, I think it’s ultra important to take to the dealership for all service. I’d imagine they’ll be able to pull all sorts of data from the systems to make them better.
I really hope NOT, but if there are any vehicle-wide issues like the RS, my hope is that we're all going through the dealership for the first 3/36k to identify any unforeseen issues so they can address them.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Used to live by a dealership that had a quick lube and loved it. I dont anymore so I do that myself. My only real gripe doing it myself is the old oil fill up and drop off at a place that takes it. I used to work right out of high-school at a quick lube so I have literally done thousands of oil changes and hundreds of drive line fluid changes.
Sponsored