Sponsored

Does Badlands Sasquatch and Non-Sasquatch have identical MPG?

MaddSkillzzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Morris Minor Traveller
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wouldn't take MPG as the reason to pick one over the other, I really don't think over the long run it will really matter. You are a lucky lucky person, and I am so envious and happy for you! I would choose the one that will keep that silly gin on my face the longest and not ever think I make the wrong choice. I would go green, but my dream is lost in fords forgotten souls and is cyber orange.
good luck with this
Sponsored

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To be honest the Bronco is severely overgeared with the 4.70. It is a great number for the small percentage that will be crawling and climbing. Not that it’s a bad thing but a 4.10 would have still be sufficient for most applications. F-150 Raptors have always only came with 4.10’s for the 35’s and still do on the latest 37 package. The first gen F-150 Raptor with the 5.4L made less power and torque than the 2.7 and weighed a thousand pounds more.

Some extra MPG would be a nice gain to help on longer trips to the trails. Right now to go to my preferred “get away” I burn through 3/4 a tank before even arriving. I had a first gen F-150 Raptor 6.2 and never struggled with power even with hanging with the climber group. I have had many brainstorms about bringing my Badlands down to 4.10.
I have to respectfully disagree. The 4.70 is perfect gearing. You are comparing apples to oranges.

The 4.70 with 35's is absolutely perfect. Off-road the gearing is as important for downhill control as it is for power going up. Put it in M1 and you can crawl down anything with confidence. Now jump to the highway. Cruising at 85 mph you are humming along at 2200 rpm with very decent fuel economy for what it is. Would 4.10s lower the rpms? Certainly on occasion like travelling on a flat highway below 70 mph.

Gear up to the 4.10 you will not get better mileage unless you stick with 33s. Throw in any 35" tire other than the OE Goodyears and it only gets more important to have the 4.70. The factory Goodyears weigh 52 lbs. Almost every other 35" tire weighs in at 70 lbs. or more (sure there are exceptions but nearly every popular tire weighs considerably more than the Goodyears). Now you will be turning more rotational weight. Running the 4.10 with 35's (especially anything other than the stock Goodyears) will simply cause the drivetrain to compensate by downshifting to a lower gear more often, search more for gears, run at higher rpms, increase drivetrain wear and tear, and drop overall performance when passing or towing or climbing mountain grades. Having many vehicles including Tundras, 4Runners, Jeeps and Ford trucks re-geared for all of the above reasons, I have never said to myself I wish had not gone with that bigger gear. In fact after spending $2k I had often realized I should have gone a step bigger. The Ford engineers got this one right and it is why Jeep followed the lead with the Recon pkg.

Sorry, this jumped off topic fast!

Last edited:

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have to respectfully disagree. The 4.70 is perfect gearing. You are comparing apples to oranges.

The 4.70 with 35's is absolutely perfect. Off-road the gearing is as important for downhill control as it is for power going up. Put it in M1 and you can crawl down anything with confidence. Now jump to the highway. Cruising at 85 mph you are humming along at 2200 rpm with very decent fuel economy for what it is. Would 4.10s lower the rpms? Certainly on occasion like travelling on a flat highway below 70 mph.

Gear up to the 4.10 you will not get better mileage unless you stick with 33s. Throw in any 35" tire other than the OE Goodyears and it only gets more important to have the 4.70. The factory Goodyears weigh 52 lbs. Almost every other 35" tire weighs in at 70 lbs. or more (sure there are exceptions but nearly every popular tire weighs considerably more than the Goodyears). Now you will be turning more rotational weight. Running the 4.10 with 35's (especially anything other than the stock Goodyears) will simply cause the drivetrain to compensate by downshifting to a lower gear more often, search more for gears, run at higher rpms, increase drivetrain wear and tear, and drop overall performance when passing or towing or climbing mountain grades. Having many vehicles including Tundras, 4Runners, Jeeps and Ford trucks re-geared for all of the above reasons, I have never said to myself I wish had not gone with that bigger gear. In fact after spending $2k I had often realized I should have gone a step bigger. The Ford engineers got this one right and it is why Jeep followed the lead with the Recon pkg.

Before 4.70 was even a thought we tested the Bronco with 4.10’s and it was perfectly fine….. but okay. 4.46 was originally the max gear

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve got a nonsas 2.3 with stock wheels and 33 tires. 2in zone lift. Getting 18+mpg (1 more than the sticker)
Ford Bronco Does Badlands Sasquatch and Non-Sasquatch have identical MPG? 3E03E354-64DA-4092-BC1C-DD86E97B603F

OP
OP
Sweetooth710

Sweetooth710

Badlands
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't take MPG as the reason to pick one over the other, I really don't think over the long run it will really matter. You are a lucky lucky person, and I am so envious and happy for you! I would choose the one that will keep that silly gin on my face the longest and not ever think I make the wrong choice. I would go green, but my dream is lost in fords forgotten souls and is cyber orange.
good luck with this
Appreciate your thoughtful comment. I don’t think I can go wrong. The green is tough yet classy, A51 is a neutral/flat color with a modern vibe...And I thought the orange was too loud until I saw a 2 door in person. It’s stunning! I like so many colors. Lol. But I love the outdoors and either way its gonna be a compliment to my adventures.

I realize I’m luckier than some with this reservation fiasco. I hope you and those early reservations get your Bronco asap. Until then life is still good ✌

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sweetooth710

Sweetooth710

Badlands
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate the useful tangent. It seems the Sasquatch knocks maybe 1-2 mpg off compared to the 33s so really a non factor. And your insight as far as the off-road benefits to the gearing is something to consider.

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve got a nonsas 2.3 with stock wheels and 33 tires. 2in zone lift. Getting 18+mpg (1 more than the sticker)
Ford Bronco Does Badlands Sasquatch and Non-Sasquatch have identical MPG? 3E03E354-64DA-4092-BC1C-DD86E97B603F
Update: just finally did some longer driving above 70 and it was down closer to 17 or below. The noise kicks way up and the fuel drops way down starting at the 70 mark. It was really windy today though.

A907Chick

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Wildtrax Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a SAS Area 51, my avg MPG is 16. I run a mix of highway and city. I also don't drive like an old man out on a Sunday drive either. If you plan on adding a lift kit and going bigger then I'd get the non-sas then you can customize your lift. I am happy with the height of mine with the SAS package.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sasquatch Badlands all day.
Ford Bronco Does Badlands Sasquatch and Non-Sasquatch have identical MPG? IMG_20220326_153206_819

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Owned my 2.3L 4 Door Base Sasq for a week and did my first road trip in the NH and VT mountains.

One way is 288 miles on 1 tank of gas, 1 got 19.4 mpg.

I saw a youtube video where the guy tested the Sasq on ECO and Standard both got the same mpgs. Not sure where the ECO would be economical than standard mode.

PXL_20220418_170714072.MP.jpg
Sponsored