First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
1st gen raptors/12th gen f150s have a similar issue where if the door gets opened a little too hard, the door hits the edge of the hinge causing little bends on the edge of the door. Hopefully that's not the case here
i saw that, found someone that even made a custom door check to prevent the door from opening too far.

too soon to tell if thats going to be an issue here. looks like its more-so the metal that the hinge is attached to cant handle the stress of the door being hyper extended.

Again, hopefully not the case, and hopefully just preproduction issues, but i'd love to rule it out after owners have spent some time with their production models. Hoping they are stronger than these preproduction doors
Sponsored

OP
OP
AMK610

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The vinyl door edge protectors won’t prevent that kind of sheet metal deformation. Those edge protectors are simply designed to protect the paint on potential contact points (leading edge of the door or the front fender panel) during door removal and installation.

IMO, the photo in the opening post appears to show bending of the door‘s external skin at the end of where the internal hinge block is attached, due most likely to unintentional over-extension caused by a strong gust of wind.
are most doors engineered like this? I had a hard time believing the hinge is connected to the door skin when i first saw this pic. Door skins are so thin, you'd think the hinge itself would be no way shape or form connected to and sharing the strength of the light weight door skin

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

are most doors engineered like this? I had a hard time believing the hinge is connected to the door skin when i first saw this pic. Door skins are so thin, you'd think the hinge itself would be no way shape or form connected to and sharing the strength of the light weight door skin
I would have to take a look at a photo of the inside of the door to say for sure, but I think the hinges are attached to a reinforcing frame behind the door skin. If the reinforcing frame bends, it will likely buckle the sheet metal where it is attached to the frame.

OP
OP
AMK610

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would have to take a look at a photo of the inside of the door to say for sure, but I think the hinges are attached to a reinforcing frame behind the door skin. If the reinforcing frame bends, it will likely buckle the sheet metal where it is attached to the frame.
makes sense, I'm trying to find a door diagram.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The vinyl door edge protectors won’t prevent that kind of sheet metal deformation. Those edge protectors are simply designed to protect the paint on potential contact points (leading edge of the door or the front fender panel) during door removal and installation.

IMO, the photo in the opening post appears to show bending of the door‘s external skin at the end of where the internal hinge block is attached, due most likely to unintentional over-extension caused by a strong gust of wind.
Due to the lesser clearance of the internal hinges, I suspect mishaps with people removing/installing doors. Just kind of the nature of the design. Probably a good idea to use those door edge guards. Owners will want to be more careful than on a Jeep with exposed hinges.

Sponsored

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I give up. I'm sure ford has been making doors for some time. this appears to be over extension and damage to the door. i would not like this to be the cause of a lightened door for easy removal. lets wait for real problems to arise with your bronco instead of trying to make some up. let me add if this turns out to be a real issue, good catch. otherwise, people will worry for no reason. like me.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1st gen raptors/12th gen f150s have a similar issue where if the door gets opened a little too hard, the door hits the edge of the hinge causing little bends on the edge of the door. Hopefully that's not the case here
Can confirm.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The door removal tutorials I've seen says to put in these rubber protectors on the edge of the door and door frame when removing. Maybe during all the demonstrations the pre production models have gone through they weren't used every time and caused the dent?
It's there to protect the edge, not the outside face of the door

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Absolutely... I can't see any way the interior structure would do this to the outside skin. The hinge in the door is mounted to the forwaes/inside face...

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had doors damaged so badly by overextension from a gust of wind that they could not be closed. If you live in or travel to windy areas you often learn the hard way to hang onto the door tightly when opening it.

Sponsored

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Guess I never paid attention before. Is there no strap to keep the doors from hyper extending? Would have been a simple fix, one thing to disconnect before removing the doors. If this turns out to be a problem, you can guarantee Ford will have to provide a fix or people are going to scream when their $50k plus vehicle looks like a giant turd after a month.

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seriously? I tried as hard as possible to just ask a simple question based on a picture I saw. If you don’t have anything to add, you can just not comment. I don’t think I’m making it up, as there’s a picture and a few other Broncos I’ve seen in video with this thing going on.
i did comment. that damage surely happened by over extension (or agreed to) this did not happen during install. i did also mention if this is true that IT WAS A GOOD CATCH. after reading what i wrote, it appears i was saying you were making it up. you where not.

OP
OP
AMK610

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i did comment. that damage surely happened by over extension (or agreed to) this did not happen during install. i did also mention if this is true that IT WAS A GOOD CATCH. after reading what i wrote, it appears i was saying you were making it up. you where not.
Deleted my comment cause I truly didn’t want to start an argument over this, all good man

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Door skin replacement pic from the WSM. Looks like there could be reinforcement/crash bars in those general locations. Note, the skin is glued to these. We've seen this happen on hoods and is due to the glue and what it's attached to. Fix was to separate the two pieces in that spot and apply another dose of panel glue.

Ford Bronco Door Hinge Dents? 1627060725574

OP
OP
AMK610

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Door skin replacement pic from the WSM. Looks like there could be reinforcement/crash bars in those general locations. Note, the skin is glued to these. We've seen this happen on hoods and is due to the glue and what it's attached to. Fix was to separate the two pieces in that spot and apply another dose of panel glue.

1627060725574.png
Thank you! This is perfect.

So once the dent would occur, and you’d do the repair you stated, the hood would be straight again and good to go for the future?
Sponsored