Sponsored

Dried mud on engine after driving through shallow water puddles -- issue?

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So... this last weekend I drove the Bronco though some REALLY shallow puddles on a trail. Came back home to find dried mud on the hood and whatever this is called crusted in dried mud. This is at the very top of the engine bay. Means that pretty much every electrical component in the engine bay is at risk with even minor water exposure. Am I overthinking this? Never saw anything like that on the Wrangler.
Ford Bronco Dried mud on engine after driving through shallow water puddles -- issue? 1000008423
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My engine bay overall stays dry however there are a couple spots near the fender liners that do allow spray to intrude.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d say you’re overthinking it. All electrical connections under your hood are weather sealed. If they weren’t, you’d already be dead. Even driving through heavy rain splashes water up everywhere, why would a mud puddle be different or worse?

It wouldn’t.

Your Bronco isn’t a delicate flower unless you have a collision, even then, they tend to fair very well.

Should you clean your engine bay on occasion? Sure, but the only potential risk are if you self installed anything like lights or a compressor yourself, but even then, hope you did use weather sealing tape and quality connectors.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d say you’re overthinking it. All electrical connections under your hood are weather sealed. If they weren’t, you’d already be dead. Even driving through heavy rain splashes water up everywhere, why would a mud puddle be different or worse?

It wouldn’t.

Your Bronco isn’t a delicate flower unless you have a collision, even then, they tend to fair very well.

Should you clean your engine bay on occasion? Sure, but the only potential risk are if you self installed anything like lights or a compressor yourself, but even then, hope you did use weather sealing tape and quality connectors.
he's exactly correct, I wash my engine every time I wash my truck, Bronco, Harley etc.
No worries my friend.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At first I thought this was going to be a post about ADM & interest rates.
But yes, the connectors are sealed. just clean it off.

Sponsored
OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What about alternator and air intake? These seem like prime candidates for unintended consequences.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The alternator is a concern for water fording, it sits very low. There's a TSB for a shroud of some sort but it's not a true fix. The intake is well above the advertised water fording depth but if you are moving fast enough to have water come over the hood you're going to take on water.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The alternator is a concern for water fording, it sits very low. There's a TSB for a shroud of some sort but it's not a true fix. The intake is well above the advertised water fording depth but if you are moving fast enough to have water come over the hood you're going to take on water.
Alternator is not at risk because of water, it's heavily contaminated water that's the issue.

Take a hose and wash out the engine bay. Let the hose wash away your overthinking at the same time.

Overcooked

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2D WT, 2021 BMW 540,2024 BMW X7 M60i
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

nah it's fine, my old hyundai had way more mud in the engine bay and was running perfectly when I sold it.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was mine after every time I go off roading in either my F150 or my Bronco. I wet it down use a soap cannon on a pressure washer, let it soak for a few minutes then pressure wash it off or a regular hose. Don't forget under the hood. I let it dry for a while, then I might take a 20 minute drive to warm it all up.
Ford Bronco Dried mud on engine after driving through shallow water puddles -- issue? IMG_5702.JPG
Sponsored