Sponsored

Driving on the beach in OBX. Any tips. Do you need a permit in Corolla?

Eugene the Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco OBX 4 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
New to the world of 4x4. Looking forward to taking my 2023 Outer Banks to the OBX. Have driven on the beach once before in a jeep rental in Nantucket. Lower the air pressure and shift into 4WD. Any other recommendations? Does anyone know if you need a permit to drive on the beach in Corolla, NC?. I read something that you now need a permit to PARK on the beach in the 4x4 section. Anyone know if this is true?
Sponsored

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You do not need a permit to drive on the beach in Corolla and north to the Virginia state line.

you are correct that you do need a permit if you want to stop and park to fish or swim, sunbathe etc. in this area.

you do need (another different) permit to drive on the beach at all in farther south in areas like Oregon Inlet and Hatteras.

you can actually drive in Nags Head and Kitty Hawk during the winter, but not during summer months.

air down to 20psi. & use 4x4 low.

Hope this helps

http://co.currituck.nc.us/beach-parking/

Ford Bronco Driving on the beach in OBX. Any tips. Do you need a permit in Corolla? IMG_4509

Last edited:

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You do not need a permit to drive on the beach in Corolla and north to the Virginia state line.

you are correct that you do need a permit if you want to stop and park to fish or swim, sunbathe etc. in this area.

you do need a permit to drive on the beach at all in farther south in areas like Oregon Inlet and Hatteras.

you can actually drive in Nags Head and Kitty Hawk during the winter, but not during summer months.

air down to 20psi. & use 4x4 low.

Hope this helps

http://co.currituck.nc.us/beach-parking/

Ford Bronco Driving on the beach in OBX. Any tips. Do you need a permit in Corolla? IMG_4509
Great information SuperFord, I might also add that the permits for southern areas like Hatteras are different from the Carova beach permit, those are issued by the National Park Service.

OBXbeachdriving

Big Bend
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have been renting 4x4s for driving Carova Beach down to Ocracoke Island. Cape Hatteras National Seashore issues (ORV) Off-road vehicle permits for $50 for a week or $150 for a yearly pass. Corolla/Carova Beach only requires a pass from the beginning of the Friday before Memorial Day through Labor Day, passes are limited you will need to purchase one early, as they sell out. I have put some of the pumps, gauges, etc that have stood up to constant use by new to off-roading renters www.obxjeeprentals.com/off-road-tire-inflators Hope to add some Bronco's soon.

SeaVee

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 2500 Suburban, 77 Bronco, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We go to Carova regularly, stay a neighbors house a few times every summer. I’d go ahead and get the Currituck County pass now, lots of drama with those right now. Definitely air down but 4L is not necessary. We have an 11 mile run up the beach and we’ll do it in 2wd all the time if the tides low. The worst part is right after you get off the ramp heading north. It gets easy after that. Sand mode is not necessary either. If I have to put in into 4WD I just put it in 4H and use the paddle shift to get in the right gear. Also, pay attention to the posted speed limit. The Sheriffs Office has a fleet of undercover vehicles they roll around in up there ( Black Silverado PU/ Tundra/ couple of jeeps, etc). If you go up there, make sure to hit some of the back roads over the ramps, it’s a funky , cool community back there. We’re up by the Fire Station ( Ramp 22).
Ford Bronco Driving on the beach in OBX. Any tips. Do you need a permit in Corolla? IMG_0671
Sponsored