Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty big noob here when it comes to driving on sand, have only done it a couple times in a bronco sport... looking for tips and general info for soft sand driving on Long Island.

Will be taking my 23 Sas Badlands out to the beach soon.

Is it necessary/helpful to air down those 35's and if so to what psi? Was reading about 15-20 would be beneficial.... Obviously will put into sand drive mode as well...

Was also looking for any tips on aftercare after taking on the beach, mostly on dry sand. Is there specific gear I should get to clean the bottom after? I know the salts not too good for the metal and want to make sure I keep the under parts in top condition. Or do I need to take it in to a shop to get it cleaned out.

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
Shovel, traction boards, an air compressor, tire deflator kit (18 psi should be enough) and a friend to shovel for you in case you get stuck.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If there's a beach you can drive on, chances are there's going to be a car wash that has a beach/sand/salt/undercarriage wash option that basically just hoses down your undercarriage, no soap or wax. Drive through it twice and you'll still find sand weeks later, but the salt will be very diluted and mostly gone, and that's what you're really after. The sooner you do this, the less chance the salt has to eat your Bronco. Clean the sand off your windshield wipers too, nothing like seeing scratches on a brand new window because sand was caked in the little channels of the wiper.

A 2dr Bronco with 35's, you don't even need to air down or use 4WD in the sand for the most part unless you're getting in deep ruts or climbing a dune. I drove 140 miles on PINS and decided that normal mode was perfectly acceptable, sport mode was fine too, all the other modes just seemed excessive. Hold the traction control button down until you get a message that advancetrac is off too, it reduces the amount of nanny crap hampering your fun. Ran 36psi on the way down, aired down to 14psi on the way back, both were fine. I probably have an extra 400lbs or more bolted on my Bronco and I doubt I'll air down again on the next trip, it's just not necessary.

Recovery boards, shovel, and a hi-lift is always a good idea. A winch anchor will get you out of virtually anything sand related if you have a winch (though a hi-lift could technically function as a winch if you're determined). If you don't have a winch anchor, hook the winch line up to your spare instead and dig a huge hole to bury it in some distance away, this should be all you need...if it pops out it wasn't deep enough. Instead of digging it back out when you're done, just keep winching yourself toward it until it lifts out on its own. If you have a winch anchor and you're buried to the frame, sometimes it helps to position the spare tire vertically underneath the winch line close to the vehicle, this gives you some upward pull to the winch to lift you out of the hole you're in. Kinetic rope is helpful if you encounter anyone that's stuck in the sand. Grab some soft shackles for the winch and/or kinetic rope. Winch line and kinetic rope should be washed well after being used on the beach, as sand will abrade the strands internally and shorten its lifespan.

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

ALWAYS Air Down and carry all equipment. jack, jack board, shovel, rope, chain or snap line, fire extinguisher, spare tire, tire wrench, tire gauge, flashlight, first aid kit, and a portable air compressor or air tank

Sponsored

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm quoting @BroncoA512021 on this. There's a class this weekend out here - looks like it will be well attended:

SUNDAY, APRIL 16, 2023 AT 9:00 AM EDT
3RD ANNUAL BEACH DRIVING CLASS
Democrat Point, Robert Moses State Park

****IMPORTANT…. FISHING LICENSE, GEAR AND SURFING OR FISHING PERMIT REQUIRED! WE WILL NOT HELP OR ASSOCIATE WITH ANYONE NOT IN FULL COMPLIANCE OF STATE REGULATIONS!!!!!***** read the back of your permit for required gear and come prepared please!
This will be our 3rd beach driving class. Last year we had about 40 vehicles show up and it was a great success. We even showed some AWD not 4WD vehicles that are beach capable how to navigate the beach with ease. *if you are unsure if your vehicle is beach compatible reach out to myself or the moderators and we’ll let you know beforehand* I’m setting this event early to give people ample time to schedule.
***IMPORTANT….. WE WILL MEET AT ROBERT MOSES FIELD 2 PARKING LOT IN THE WESTERN MOST AREA***
This gives us space to wait for arrivals and go over the plan, have introductions etc, and not be in peoples way. We will also air down our vehicles from there and take the short trip around the corner to demo. (We can’t have 40 vehicles show up to the air down area at once and clog it up) Please respond going if you truly are attending so we know who to expect.
What will you learn?
-GEAR what gear is required, also what’s not required but good to have, and how to use it properly
-AIRING DOWN/UP How to air up and down your tires to the correct psi
-BEACH DRIVING general tips on how to navigate the sand safely and effectively
-SAFETY (self explanatory)
-RECOVERY PROCEDURES this is very important. How to get yourself out of the sand without destroying your vehicle or someone elses is not easy. Also how to fix the sand afterwords so someone else does not get stuck in the hole you created. As well as how to properly attach and use a tow strap or chain. We will also have merch from our amazing sponsors at 27 east designs available for in person sales.
***Keep an eye out for a post regarding upcoming club membership opportunities and or how to donate to the cause. We are proud to announce that by the time of this event we will be a licensed and insured non for profit club.
LI 4x4 Beach Driving Class

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Pretty big noob here when it comes to driving on sand, have only done it a couple times in a bronco sport... looking for tips and general info for soft sand driving on Long Island.

Will be taking my 23 Sas Badlands out to the beach soon.

Is it necessary/helpful to air down those 35's and if so to what psi? Was reading about 15-20 would be beneficial.... Obviously will put into sand drive mode as well...

Was also looking for any tips on aftercare after taking on the beach, mostly on dry sand. Is there specific gear I should get to clean the bottom after? I know the salts not too good for the metal and want to make sure I keep the under parts in top condition. Or do I need to take it in to a shop to get it cleaned out.

Any help would be appreciated!
Join us here too!! Long Island Bronco FB group

OP
OP
captaincrunch

captaincrunch

Badlands
First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If there's a beach you can drive on, chances are there's going to be a car wash that has a beach/sand/salt/undercarriage wash option that basically just hoses down your undercarriage, no soap or wax. Drive through it twice and you'll still find sand weeks later, but the salt will be very diluted and mostly gone, and that's what you're really after. The sooner you do this, the less chance the salt has to eat your Bronco. Clean the sand off your windshield wipers too, nothing like seeing scratches on a brand new window because sand was caked in the little channels of the wiper.

A 2dr Bronco with 35's, you don't even need to air down or use 4WD in the sand for the most part unless you're getting in deep ruts or climbing a dune. I drove 140 miles on PINS and decided that normal mode was perfectly acceptable, sport mode was fine too, all the other modes just seemed excessive. Hold the traction control button down until you get a message that advancetrac is off too, it reduces the amount of nanny crap hampering your fun. Ran 36psi on the way down, aired down to 14psi on the way back, both were fine. I probably have an extra 400lbs or more bolted on my Bronco and I doubt I'll air down again on the next trip, it's just not necessary.

Recovery boards, shovel, and a hi-lift is always a good idea. A winch anchor will get you out of virtually anything sand related if you have a winch (though a hi-lift could technically function as a winch if you're determined). If you don't have a winch anchor, hook the winch line up to your spare instead and dig a huge hole to bury it in some distance away, this should be all you need...if it pops out it wasn't deep enough. Instead of digging it back out when you're done, just keep winching yourself toward it until it lifts out on its own. If you have a winch anchor and you're buried to the frame, sometimes it helps to position the spare tire vertically underneath the winch line close to the vehicle, this gives you some upward pull to the winch to lift you out of the hole you're in. Kinetic rope is helpful if you encounter anyone that's stuck in the sand. Grab some soft shackles for the winch and/or kinetic rope. Winch line and kinetic rope should be washed well after being used on the beach, as sand will abrade the strands internally and shorten its lifespan.
Awesome, thanks for the info

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently went to Sand Lake, Oregon on the coast. My first time taking the Bronco.

Here's what I took:
Recovery Boards
Fire extinguisher
Flag
(the last two are required in this park)

Here's what I actually used... the flag.

I aired down to about 30psi as I didn't have an air compressor (I've since ordered one).

I didn't explore too far into the soft sand because I was by myself. But everywhere else was fine. At no point did the Bronco ever feel like it was going to get stuck. No matter the drive mode.

I aired back up at a nearby tire center and then washed the rig when I got home. I sprayed extensively underneath. There was a noticeable pile of sand under the Bronco after the bath.

66e665dd-fe45-45d8-9537-1d4071b37d97-jpeg.jpg

3643a8c3-4fea-4106-9ed6-3616115c7416-jpeg.jpg

Because at the beach the sand tends to be moist there is very little chance of a Bronco getting stuck. After a few minutes you'll get use to it and start to enjoy being there instead of worrying about getting stuck.

OP
OP
captaincrunch

captaincrunch

Badlands
First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently went to Sand Lake, Oregon on the coast. My first time taking the Bronco.

Here's what I took:
Recovery Boards
Fire extinguisher
Flag
(the last two are required in this park)

Here's what I actually used... the flag.

I aired down to about 30psi as I didn't have an air compressor (I've since ordered one).

I didn't explore too far into the soft sand because I was by myself. But everywhere else was fine. At no point did the Bronco ever feel like it was going to get stuck. No matter the drive mode.

I aired back up at a nearby tire center and then washed the rig when I got home. I sprayed extensively underneath. There was a noticeable pile of sand under the Bronco after the bath.

Ford Bronco Sand Driving and Aftercare for beginner 3643a8c3-4fea-4106-9ed6-3616115c7416-jpe

Ford Bronco Sand Driving and Aftercare for beginner 3643a8c3-4fea-4106-9ed6-3616115c7416-jpe

Because at the beach the sand tends to be moist there is very little chance of a Bronco getting stuck. After a few minutes you'll get use to it and start to enjoy being there instead of worrying about getting stuck.

Thanks for the tips, love your setup and that video is awesome that beach looks so nice haha

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The thumbnail for this video reminds me of another important tip for driving on any beach...always be aware of the tide and whether there are any narrow spots that might box you in or keep you from getting back to pavement. Many beaches are well known for hilariously eating stricken vehicles.

636408426543851297-Honda-AfterHarvey.jpg

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The thumbnail for this video reminds me of another important tip for driving on any beach...always be aware of the tide and whether there are any narrow spots that might box you in or keep you from getting back to pavement. Many beaches are well known for hilariously eating stricken vehicles.

636408426543851297-Honda-AfterHarvey.jpg
Good call out. I wasn’t ever in any danger as you can tell from the width of the beach.

SeaVee

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 2500 Suburban, 77 Bronco, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Go ahead and air down, doesn’t hurt and it’s easier on your drivetrain/engine. Turn off the Traction control. I do a good deal of beach driving on the OBX, even in that nasty stuff ( Hatteras Island) the sand mode is overkill. I put it in 4H and use the paddle shifter to find the best gear for the situation. Up on the Northern OBX I can actually run in 2H a lot, which helps because it’s about 15 miles up the beach to our shack in Carova Beach. They only truck that has done better on the beach than this one is my box stock 77, that thing floats
Ford Bronco Sand Driving and Aftercare for beginner 7D1D08D1-05F6-4F88-95E1-1453EF52182A
Rinse off the undercarriage when you’re done. Don’t think that driving through puddle will do it for you. The locals on Hatteras Island have a saying “it’s salt water, dumb ass!”

RescueCheckPT2

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD, MH-65D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had my BD SAS on the beach more times than I can count at this point. I only aired down for the maiden trip onto the sand, after that I kept it at the normal PSI. Never once have I had an issue.

If I were you I would err on the side of caution and air down until you get more comfortable driving on the sand. Also be aware of what the weather has been like in your area for the last few weeks or so. No precipitation can cause "sugar sand" to be prevalent which will make things WAAAAAY more difficult.

Lastly, be aware that Sand mode defaults to 4HI. If you are in the sand and are pulling out from a dead stop, you'll want 4L to get out and get to firmer stuff.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good call out. I wasn’t ever in any danger as you can tell from the width of the beach.
There was one year on Padre Island the tide brought in a ton of seaweed that piled up at the edge of the surf. High tide would come in and the seaweed would get buried by the sand but leave a squishy cavity underneath. Low tide, the sand would dry up, and it was just as smooth and indistinguishable as everywhere else. It was impossible to see where these pockets were and a lot of locals who had been going up and down the beach to fish for years would sink to the framerails on vehicles that did great in the sand otherwise, and most of them were close enough to be submerged at high tide. It was like playing minesweeper with a truck. Only way to safely traverse the beach was to stay high up by the dunes where the seaweed never got buried. I travelled the entire 70 miles of beach pulling people out that weekend before the park issued a warning about it. I doubt stuff like that happens very often on any beach, but it sucks when it does.
Sponsored