Happycampinman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Greetings to all Bronco loving owners who have taken their vehicles to Silver Lake Sand Dunes. We have a Wildtrak and are heading to the park this weekend. I have run this bad boy thru all sorts or dirt, but not an environment like the dunes. A couple questions to give me a baseline.

What tire pressure?
What mode?
Did you shut off the traction control?

I plan on really experimenting with the vehicle, just looking for What did you do from folks who have ran their Bronco at Silver Lake. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom
Sponsored

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Go fast.

Don't stop.

Momentum into everything and never lose it.

Throttle into turns but not hard.

Stay off other people's tracks.

Less air = more fun. 20 psi is where I'd start and I'd honestly drop lower if you have a compressor on hand. Air up on CONCRETE, not sand.

Straight up or straight down a dune. I promise you, that's an absolute must live by for newbies.

Get a sand flag. Don't be that person without one.

There. Silver lake is awesome. Desert driving is awesome but sand dunes are even more fun if you're smart, safe, and love shoveling.

Oh yeah - sunglasses aren't just for the look. Get some and use them. Eye fatigue is real and it's hard to see things in a sea of that gorgeous yellow gold awesomeness.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go fast.

Don't stop.

Momentum into everything and never lose it.

Throttle into turns but not hard.

Stay off other people's tracks.

Less air = more fun. 20 psi is where I'd start and I'd honestly drop lower if you have a compressor on hand. Air up on CONCRETE, not sand.

Straight up or straight down a dune. I promise you, that's an absolute must live by for newbies.

Get a sand flag. Don't be that person without one.

There. Silver lake is awesome. Desert driving is awesome but sand dunes are even more fun if you're smart, safe, and love shoveling.

Oh yeah - sunglasses aren't just for the look. Get some and use them. Eye fatigue is real and it's hard to see things in a sea of that gorgeous yellow gold awesomeness.
Good tip on the shovel. I bet that gets forgotten as often as people forget to bring a snow brush with them in the Winter.

I have zero experience driving in the sand myself, so I'm curious why you would stay out of other peoples tracks? When it snows, you usually follow tracks and sand kind of seems like a similar surface to drive on (sort of).

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good tip on the shovel. I bet that gets forgotten as often as people forget to bring a snow brush with them in the Winter.

I have zero experience driving in the sand myself, so I'm curious why you would stay out of other peoples tracks? When it snows, you usually follow tracks and sand kind of seems like a similar surface to drive on (sort of).

Sand that has been moved has had it's surface tension broken. (IDK that sounds right. I didn't do well in physics) But for real sandy beach, wet stuff, etc it's best to stay on top of everything and float along which is why you want lower pressures, wider tires, and lighter vehicles in general.

It's not gospel, but have you ever been out in snow and the top is strong but once you get under that you get that soft drifty stuff? The biggest difference is for you, under that snow, is hard soil or concrete or something.

Sand is the same only the soft stuff goes ALL THE WAY DOWN. There isn't dirt below it, just more sand... at least as far as we can see or dig. Could be a mile. Snow packs, sand just keeps being sand deeper and deeper and deeper. You want to float on top of sand. lighter and less air pressure means less digging and more floating.

Gregg G

Wildtrak
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was there as a newbie for the bronco take over. I ran at 18 and went every where used sand mode it was amazingly powerful. Bronco graveyard has awesome flag and quick dethatch mount.
Sponsored