Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco 2dr, 15 Maserati Quattroporte
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi. Been considering this lil' guy.
Ford Bronco (EDITED) Best budget winch bumpers? 1688754982473

I'm looking for an aftermarket bumper solution for my Bronco, and ideally would like to mount a winch on one. I do actually quite like my base bumper, so I was wondering if I could get away with a Rough Country Nudge Bar. I've had some concerns though:
1. Well, primarily: Could it hold a winch? If I need to custom fabricate a mount, then so be it, but would it theoretically handle the weight? Would it even be recommended?
2. Installation: Noticed that Rough Country's website mentioned cutting & drilling is required. Cutting & drilling into what? The front bumper? The frame? Not quite sure what it means.
And, lastly:
I know one of you is going to say it, so I'll answer it for you: Yes, I really should just be buying an actual winch mount bumper instead of going for this cheap work-around, but I can't help but feel frugal. What cheap (<$1200) winch mount bumper would you recommend, that wouldn't make my Bronco look even more mall-ninja than it already does?

Blanked out the previous post because the answer was very obviously no, so I'll ask another question:

What's the best winch bumper on a $1200 budget?

The $1200 budget isn't really strict nor is this an issue of what I can and can not afford, but rather going for value for money. I've been seeing a lot of different front bumpers on different vendors (CJPonyparts, Nexgenbronco etc) but I'd rather go for what's best rather than what's cheapest. It's going to be a bumper that'll ideally be used frequently enough for winching and pulling, so strength is the biggest priority here. Bonus points for brush guards.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
MEAT_GOD

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Oh, and before I forget: Why are Rough Country's products so cheap? Does the quality still hold up? I do actually use my Bronco for some moderately tough off-roading, and do frequently tow stuck vehicles out of sand a lot, so durability does matter.

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That will not hold a winch, nor would it even be strong enough to withstand any sort of pulling on it.
Get some experience off roading with the Bronco and then figure out what you may need vs what you think you may need. If you cannot afford a strong winch platform now, then perhaps another more useful upgrade will suit you. It is about safety. I would not trust my life or those of bystanders with anything made of plastic meant to pull 9k or 12k pounds.
A used mod bump would be good and then pick up a winch platform. Likewise there are plenty of winch capable bumpers out there in your price range. I am not saying you have to spend a lot, but I am saying you have to research and get some experience. Good luck and this forum is full of info, so please don’t take my response harshly.

OP
OP
MEAT_GOD

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That will not hold a winch, nor would it even be strong enough to withstand any sort of pulling on it.
Get some experience off roading with the Bronco and then figure out what you may need vs what you think you may need. If you cannot afford a strong winch platform now, then perhaps another more useful upgrade will suit you. It is about safety. I would not trust my life or those of bystanders with anything made of plastic meant to pull 9k or 12k pounds.
A used mod bump would be good and then pick up a winch platform. Likewise there are plenty of winch capable bumpers out there in your price range. I am not saying you have to spend a lot, but I am saying you have to research and get some experience. Good luck and this forum is full of info, so please don’t take my response harshly.
Yeah, you're definitely right, and I've come to that conclusion shortly after making this post, but I thought of giving it the benefit of the doubt anyways. Oh well.

OP
OP
MEAT_GOD

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Edited the original post to more clearly ask what I'm wondering about. Thanks for the heads up, btw

Sponsored

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for not taking my response too harshly - here are a few good options I would do. I have not done it yet as I am not there yet either, nor have the time to hit all the trails I want.

If you do get a mod bumper used -
Ford Bronco (EDITED) Best budget winch bumpers? 1688756518324

or this mount - says it will fit the plastic bumper - but does not give the "winch" look - since it is hidden. This is the option I would personally, but that's my taste.

Ford Bronco (EDITED) Best budget winch bumpers? 1688756607606

OP
OP
MEAT_GOD

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for not taking my response too harshly - here are a few good options I would do. I have not done it yet as I am not there yet either, nor have the time to hit all the trails I want.
Nah, you're absolutely right. When it comes to pulling and winching, all too often there's going to be that one clown who skimped out on proper gear and ends up getting someone hurt - or worse. I wouldn't want that to be me, so a "just because I can, doesn't mean I should" mindset is what I should be going for.

If you do get a mod bumper used -
1688756518324.png

or this mount - says it will fit the plastic bumper - but does not give the "winch" look - since it is hidden. This is the option I would personally, but that's my taste.

1688756607606.png
Unfortunately, a used mod bumper is highly unlikely to be an option. I'm not from the USA (Middle East) and finding anything related to the Bronco is already hard enough as it is, let alone anything in our used market.

The hidden winch mount is definitely a possible choice, though it'd still be nice to get a full bumper set up while I'm going there.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Front bumper mounts are not strong enough for a winch. This leaves you with 2-3 options that all cost $1500. Bamf is the only winch bumper I have seen used and abused. I know he modified the crap out of it to fit tighter so it's not stock.

I got a $600 DV8 bumper and currently modifying it for a winch. The other option is Westin but that thing is a huge chin sticking out the front.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Front bumper mounts are not strong enough for a winch. This leaves you with 2-3 options that all cost $1500. Bamf is the only winch bumper I have seen used and abused. I know he modified the crap out of it to fit tighter so it's not stock.

I got a $600 DV8 bumper and currently modifying it for a winch. The other option is Westin but that thing is a huge chin sticking out the front.
Totally agree. I have the BAMF Hybrid and it is heavy duty and very well made and fits tight. Also, got it scratched up and BAMF sent me powder to use with a heat gun and looks like new. The Thermoplatic powder coating process they use is the best and made me a believer. Just waiting for them to make a rear bumper.

Sponsored

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Oh, and before I forget: Why are Rough Country's products so cheap? Does the quality still hold up? I do actually use my Bronco for some moderately tough off-roading, and do frequently tow stuck vehicles out of sand a lot, so durability does matter.
Because for 20 years “rough country” has been synonymous with cheap components and a terrible ride (for their suspension lift) those that advocate for them have either
1) never rode in a vehicle with a proper suspension setup
2) are 16 and that’s what they can afford
3) are on a major budget
4) will install anything the parts guy at a tire store sells without research
5) just want a “look” without any functionality.

Good is seldom cheap
Cheap is seldom good

OP
OP
MEAT_GOD

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
MEAT_GOD

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
MEAT_GOD

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Because for 20 years “rough country” has been synonymous with cheap components and a terrible ride (for their suspension lift) those that advocate for them have either
1) never rode in a vehicle with a proper suspension setup
2) are 16 and that’s what they can afford
3) are on a major budget
4) will install anything the parts guy at a tire store sells without research
5) just want a “look” without any functionality.

Good is seldom cheap
Cheap is seldom good
Yeah, I highly doubt that their cheap price reflects any sort of quality. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Sponsored