First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't just host the kick-off Bronco Rodeo at your place...make it an annual event and we'll leave our Broncos on your lifts for some TLC while the pig roasts.
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There are kits to add remote start. Ford doesn’t do it from the factory because of idiots who would remote start it in gear
Did that once (after having it installed for 7 years)...........
Car drove straight into my empty pool (which I was planning on tearing out anyway).
It did test my years of offroad extraction skills, but had it out by myself in about 4 hours. .

Ford Bronco Engine Changes DCP04205

Ford Bronco Engine Changes DCP04209

Ford Bronco Engine Changes DCP04215

Ford Bronco Engine Changes DCP04216

Even drove it to work in the afternoon. One of the rear control arms was tweaked a bit, so it did need
an alignment, but otherwise very little damage overall. Did trash the class one hitch I luckily had for a tow point.

Ford Bronco Engine Changes DCP04218

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wait what are you implying this has to do with piston slap?

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sounds like you and your dealership are unicorns, kudos for keeping good employees happy so they grow with the company. That’s key.
we don’t have unicorns here. What we have are cheap ass greedy thief’s that don’t take care of decent experienced techs plain and simple.
Just picked up an F350 from Earnhardt’s Ford with a vibration over 60mph issue. They had it a week and said the the rear end was worn and needed rebuilt and that the 4x4 manual hubs also needed replaced as they said these were common issues and if that didn’t clear up the vibration they would need dig further and possibly take a look at the transmission torque converter and possibly rebuild the trans. They hit us for $600 for this “diagnostic” and said just the rear end and locking hubs we’re going to be $4600 to get that stuff sorted out.

Told my guy to pick up the truck, pay the bill and bring it into the shop and we would have one of our (NOT vehicle specific) equipment mechanics take a look at it, within 30 minutes we had it on jack stands and found out the drive line got dinged at a job site and was warped. We pulled the driveline had it rebuilt at Arizona driveline and $400 later problem was fixed.
That’s only ONE example of the shit storm we have for dealerships here.
I couldn’t make that shit up if I tried!

Sponsored

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think if I understand what you're saying it's basically that you just need to do exactly what your owner's manual says for maintenance and you'll be fine. No more, no less. If so, I agree. The manufacturer will tell you to use a certain kind of oil for a reason, but any aftermarket company that is telling you their oil will protect your engine better is just marketing.
You know, now that im home and able to properly take my time and reread everything I realized something. if I would have just said it the way you just said it, I probably could have avoided all the chaos I created for myself today.

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
wait what are you implying this has to do with piston slap?
First gen Vortec 6.0’s had piston slap. GM claimed the piston skirts were too short and they replaced a couple of our engines in our brand new 2002 2500hd’s under warranty. The 2003 and newer 6.0’s supposedly had longer skirts and never had the issue.

What I remember being really weird.
The part number for the oil filter changed with the new motors. That’s when oil filter backflow valves became common discussions on GM forums.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Crispy, Don't take this the wrong way because you did a masterful job at laying this out and it makes it easier for me to add some good points in. I am not trying to argue, that is not my point at all, just pointing out my experience to add to yours.

1. Fram ---Once Honeywell sold it off went to shit. We have Wix same as napa. I have napa on my shelf because Wix sent my warehouse wrong case and they sent to me. happens all the time. Have napa / wagner bulbs also. the stuff I can tell you might amaze you.

2. octane is critical. Many of my vehicles over the years have proven it to me but one example is my TJ. 87 octane it would ping like bitch. had to run at least 89 or higher and then it had BALLS. Oil was the same way. grabbed 10w30 off my shelf by mistake. tapped to the high heavens. TICK ! TICK ! TICK ! Dumped it out and put 10w40 like it was supposed to and quiet as silk. I have a lot of toys that take different stuff and I am always checking the manual now so I don't repeat my mistakes of the past.

3. Didn't know they would test fuel, but I do know they will test oil to tell you what condition it is in (need to change or not). I have a customer that is a maintenance freak and he asked my one day about our house brand oil so I explained. so he started using it. When it came time to change he sent a sample away like always and they sent back to him no need to change. So he called and they told him looks like it's fresh 'outta the bottle, change the filter, top off and keep running it. I said see I told you it wasn't cheap junk. He said you don't realize I have done this twice. So that's 7k on conventional oil. he made it 9k before they said it was starting to break down. This topic kinda bleeds into #4 also so ……..

4. I heard you mention ashless oil. I sell Amsoil (not my house brand as above), they have a European oil that is ashless for turbo vw's and I have customers here also. Jetta uses oil all the time. he reads about Amsoil and I say that is the way I understand it as well. Something with the formula turbo engines don't burn the oil like other manufacturers. VW or Amsoil that's it. I don't like to throw brand names out there but sometimes I let it slip. Transmission fluid ??? Got one there as well. Told the garage that serviced the trans in my wife's 98 Taurus make sure you put merc V in it NOT Dex III. Yep no problem. I get it back the thing don't shift worth a shit. DAMN IT !!!!!! Dropped the pan, flushed the fluid, Merc V and...…. walla …….. shifts like a dream !!!!! Don't recommend that garage to anyone !!! now I do all my shit myself. Coolant ….. I think you don't see it because most everything takes extended life antifreeze now and the old green stuff is harder to come by, IMO.

5. Pushrod engine. Because the pushrod is not an efficient design it can endure alot more of non maintenance issues. This newer stuff is built so "tight" it doesn't take much to screw it up. I've seen a SBC runs with three bent pushrods and not have a missfire !!! do that with your 5.4 ( I know no pushrods, just a joke).

6. Can't say this any better. MAINTENANCE is key to any kind of longevity.

7. Don't have much on this one because all my MOD stuff I have not had problems yet. (my F-150 should be after the plug update 10/07, so cross you fingers and pray for me when I go to change them this summer). I can say there are companies out there that make cleaners that have a "straw" on them to insert into the intake tract to clean the deposit problem. I use the run the SHIT out of it method. I have helped friends with the straw thing and the first thing after spraying is to DRIVE THE SHIT out of it. I can say it is the first time I have seen a gas motor belch black worst than a supped-up / tuned diesel !!!!!!!

Don't give up the fight Crispy I too feel just like you. I have customers ask me what is the best and then argue with me why I said that one. Drives me nuts. I want to say then why the hell did you ask me. It's like an hour argument just to sell him a 5$ bottle of fuel injection cleaner when he needs to buy the 25$ one to work properly. :crazy: I too, like your other post, pick up the trash. scrub the latrines, do it all !!! so all I can say is we are all in trouble when all the hard working generation is gone because most of them now don't know how to work. I can remember 10 years ago when the phone thing was heating up and my cousins sat on the couch next to each other texting back and forth. I looked at them and said I can't believe you can't just look to the side and speak. that kind of behavior is going to ruin people. and look where we are now. Worst thing about this whole internet/text/e-mail thing is there is no emotion so you don't see that little smirk or haha or eye roll, to tell you oh it's a joke or I'm kidding. So then the conversation takes the wrong turn.

enough of my long winded rant ..... just had to give you all my 2 cents not to mention pass some time while waiting for the newest release of info trickle, trickle, trickle. will soon be March !!!!:clap:

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sounds like you and your dealership are unicorns, kudos for keeping good employees happy so they grow with the company. That’s key.
we don’t have unicorns here. What we have are cheap ass greedy thief’s that don’t take care of decent experienced techs plain and simple.
Just picked up an F350 from Earnhardt’s Ford with a vibration over 60mph issue. They had it a week and said the the rear end was worn and needed rebuilt and that the 4x4 manual hubs also needed replaced as they said these were common issues and if that didn’t clear up the vibration they would need dig further and possibly take a look at the transmission torque converter and possibly rebuild the trans. They hit us for $600 for this “diagnostic” and said just the rear end and locking hubs we’re going to be $4600 to get that stuff sorted out.

Told my guy to pick up the truck, pay the bill and bring it into the shop and we would have one of our (NOT vehicle specific) equipment mechanics take a look at it, within 30 minutes we had it on jack stands and found out the drive line got dinged at a job site and was warped. We pulled the driveline had it rebuilt at Arizona driveline and $400 later problem was fixed.
That’s only ONE example of the shit storm we have for dealerships here.
I couldn’t make that shit up if I tried!

Not just in dealerships in ALL shops you really have to talk to them and read between the lines. It has been my experience the ones that brag they are the best are more than likely the worst. I try to explain to people but when they start to argue the same point, over and over, to me it means they are not listening to what I have to say and I just tend to give up and say I don't know because I am tired of arguing the same point.

Had a customer that had death wobble with 40's on his Super Duty, It's the tires. Can't be they are new. then I explained we had a set of 37's on the same bolt pattern wheel and put them on your truck no death wobble. IT"S THE TIRES. can't be they are new. Kid bought new tires. Problem solved but it took three days and 10 more grey hairs. Drives me nuts !!!!!

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I sell Motul as well. I can always tell when someone has done their research they ask for stuff by name. Like if you use air bags or helper springs to help you with towing …. don't !!!!! go to Timbren.com they are the bomb. sell the shit out of them, haven't had a disappointed customer yet.

Our local Sheets delivery driver put his load of diesel in the 89 octane storage tank one time (see what I mean about the work force) That was fun ……… Injectors and fuel pumps for every kind of car known to man ….. the phone rang off the hook for weeks after that one. :like:

Last edited:

Sponsored

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
Like if you use air bags or helper springs to help you with towing …. don't !!!!! go to Timbren.com they are the bomb. sell the shit out of them, haven't had a disappointed customer yet.
This is no joke!
We were constantly messing with Firestone ride rite air bags when we tested them out for our trailer pulling 3/4 ton pickups. Within 3 years, all 4 trucks were running with blown out bags, bent brackets etc..
Threw them away and installed Timbren, NOT a single issue. Just install it and Forget it, they work wonderful.
We even installed on the front of one of our Freightliner M2’s medium duty’s and after about 7 years now and 350k miles, not a single issue. Amazing.

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is no joke!
We were constantly messing with Firestone ride rite air bags when we tested them out for our trailer pulling 3/4 ton pickups. Within 3 years, all 4 trucks were running with blown out bags, bent brackets etc..
Threw them away and installed Timbren, NOT a single issue. Just install it and Forget it, they work wonderful.
We even installed on the front of one of our Freightliner M2’s medium duty’s and after about 7 years now and 350k miles, not a single issue. Amazing.

Amen Broncbuyer the rep told me a guy in Austrailia had the mounting bolt broke after 25 years !!!! They sent him a new kit just because.

They are truly towing's best kept secret. People just don't believe me when I explain them. I say … your choice, I know what I would use.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First gen Vortec 6.0’s had piston slap. GM claimed the piston skirts were too short and they replaced a couple of our engines in our brand new 2002 2500hd’s under warranty. The 2003 and newer 6.0’s supposedly had longer skirts and never had the issue.

What I remember being really weird.
The part number for the oil filter changed with the new motors. That’s when oil filter backflow valves became common discussions on GM forums.
Trying to keep oil from draining back and having a "dry" start up Hence the "rattle" when you start it up. oil starvation.

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs