First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can get 18 MPG in my Tundra if I'm easy on the skinny pedal, but it's a 2WD Double Cab with the 4.6L V8...and I'm not always easy on the skinny pedal.

Also, all these posts going back and forth about which EcoBoost the Bronco will get, how much y'all want a hybrid or a diesel, or the Coyote (or Godzilla, really, people?), and all I can think is "I just want to be able to run CNG."
Haha I laugh with my 5.4 Triton f150 that's getting 9mpg to be fair lots of mods
Sponsored

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Recently drove a 2.7 eco in a crew cab f150 4x4. Holy crap, what a peppy little engine. Power delivery is smooth too. Seems like a good set up with the 10 speed.

Dub347sbf

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 bronco sport 302, 2013 F150 ecoboost 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mine has been great. 2013 3.5 ecob f150 82000 miles. One coil pack failure.
I have had my 2013 3.5 from 76k until now 96k and i have not had any problems. Good power, no hiccups.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
From what I’ve read the 2.7 is a SOLID motor as far as reliability goes. Only major issue Is if you need a new oil pan it’s a PAIN.

BUT the 3.5 has had its fair share of issues 90%+ are related to the <2016 model years tho. The 3.5 was redesigned in 2016 to fix the majority of the issues.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
From what I’ve read the 2.7 is a SOLID motor as far as reliability goes. Only major issue Is if you need a new oil pan it’s a PAIN.

BUT the 3.5 has had its fair share of issues 90%+ are related to the <2016 model years tho. The 3.5 was redesigned in 2016 to fix the majority of the issues.
2.7 had significant cylinder head issues early on too, but seem fixed now.

Sponsored

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ChrispyKC - Great info there!

In my 2013 3.5 EB, (82000mi) I run Full syn Pennzy, Motorcraft Oil filter, Napa Premium air filter and change frequently in the mountains (50% more surface area). I also drilled the 3/16" hole in the intercooler to drain any gunk that builds up (in lieu of a catch can.)

Anything else to consider on this motor? Am I truly due for plugs (running great right now).

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
ChrispyKC - Great info there!

In my 2013 3.5 EB, (82000mi) I run Full syn Pennzy, Motorcraft Oil filter, Napa Premium air filter and change frequently in the mountains (50% more surface area). I also drilled the 3/16" hole in the intercooler to drain any gunk that builds up (in lieu of a catch can.)

Anything else to consider on this motor? Am I truly due for plugs (running great right now).
I would just to prevent any chance of build up. It’s a easy cheap maintenance vs what could happen

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks Brother.

DustyD

Base
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Haha I laugh with my 5.4 Triton f150 that's getting 9mpg to be fair lots of mods
I'm about the same with my Titan.

Sometimes i measure in gallons per mile with the 5.6 Endurance and 315/70's

If there's a choice, I'll probably be stuck with the 2.3 due to restraints put on from the ol' financial adviser (wife). That said, I hope it's only offered in the 2.7 so there isn't a discussion lol.

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man, I try not go past 50k miles on plugs with boosted engines. 100k shows how far we've come in a short amount of time.

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve driven DOZENS of trucks very hard and heavily loaded over the years probably 2 million plus miles. I’m a Field service heavy equipment machanic with over 30 years experience.
Things I hear over and over but have never experienced In my life are the following..
The mythical “crappy oil”. Been using Dino oil out of drums, what ever is available at the shop. Never had an engine failure due to oil.
Crappy filters. Have used Napa. Donaldson, Baldwin etc. whatever the current employer buys for oil filters.. Never an oil filter related failure.

Only “AIR” filter EVER to cause a problem was a religiously cleaned and serviced K&N filter. Total crap. Gummed up a throttle body and intake. K&N is total garbage and let’s too much road grime in. Ran one on a 1997 454V8 3500HD for 89k miles and it made a mess of my intake before I realized it was the problem.

Not running hard enough? Never heard that one before.

my biggest pet peave is when somebody blames “crappy fuel”.
I would really like to know where one finds crappy fuel?
I’ve ran Only 87 octane fuel in anything that only required 87 octane fuel and have never had a fuel related issue other than maybe a dozen or so fuel pumps in mostly chevys.
Did I only run crappy fuel in my chevys and not in the Fords and Dodges? Nope. Same fuel. Chevys just had inferior fuel pumps plain and simple.

On the other hand. At Job sites, crappy fuel issues are real! Guys on job sites reuse 5 gallon jugs, buckets, barrels etc.. they have missing vent caps, fuel caps, dirty funnels you name it. Job site dust gets in the containers as well as rain water. I see crappy fuel issues on job sites constantly.. clogged filters full of dirt, clogged pick up tubes with leafs or bugs, water separators full of water etc... I have NEVER seen a crappy fuel issue from a vehicle that gets its fuel straight from a gas station pump.

I have no personal experience with the 3.5 and as a matter of fact, never even drove one before. What I do know is that If the 3.5 is so sensitive to these factors yet no other engine is, maybe the 3.5 is the problem. It’s always easier to chalk some issues up to “operator error” But if the problem persists with one engine and not “one person” it seems to me the blame should be pointed elsewhere.
Sponsored