Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan altima cp
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Drove the Bronco a few miles from my house and a ton of smoke began to come out from my exhaust.

The smoke was so bad, it lingered in the air for a bit. After driving it back home, I figured it was burning oil? I didn't receive any alerts or notifications on the Bronco or on FordPass, and my oil level wasn't tooooo low (20%). I removed the dipstick to check the oil and noticed a light amount of smoke coming from it (not sure if that's normal). Oil was a bit black at first, but remained dark brown after checking it a few times. I took it straight to the dealership to get an oil change and get it checked out. Of course exhaust was smoking heavily when I pulled up and a burnt smell lingered. Following day, service tech called and said they couldn't diagnose anything, but would have it reexamined as he had seen all the smoke from the exhaust upon arriving. Service tech called back and said oil change was done but waiting for to hear back from mechanics.

.....still waiting after three days. Anyways, long rant but just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or has any input on what it may be as I wait to hear back from the dealer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds to me like you have a blown head gasket. The smoke is coolant vapor and why you have positive pressure in the oil pan as well

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We can't diagnose it in our arm chairs.

The only question which was asked is what color is the smoke.

Blue is oil
White is water, coolant or condensation
Black is fuel

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Blue is oil
Black is fuel
And Pink means she is having a girl!

Sponsored

JONNEE

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tahoe, 2000 Yukon XL, 1993 Suburban, all 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Just recently got my Bronco back from the dealership as I had gotten the notorious 'Christmas Lights' after a drive thru a little mud! Twas a memorable KOH as a number of us had the same issue!! Yup.....we all needed to get the alternator switched and the shield added. Of course the shield was on back order, so after a long wait, I finally got my Bronco back! FYI TSB 22-2392 (Thanks Bronco6g members for this btw!!!) , which was covered under warranty and the dealership took care of, as this was unfortunately a common problem with lots of Broncos! Dealership cleared all the alerts and was back business.
My 2009 Tahoe (5.7 L V8) had a mysterious "on startup" thick massive smoke cloud issue. Highly intermittent. Every time I brought it to the dealer, there was no evidence, and nothing could be reproduced. No real oil level change, nothing.
So, I started remote starting the truck, with iPhone video being captured. Even got attention from others wondering what and why I was doing it :devilish: (fucking Karens). Eventually I got a couple of epic exhaust farts from this. Took months. Made a DVD of the video clips, handed it to the service advisor, and within an hour or two they discovered it was a sticky vent valve (or something) that was part of the exhaust gas recovery system.
Never had a problem again.
Good luck - Jon

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just recently got my Bronco back from the dealership as I had gotten the notorious 'Christmas Lights' after a drive thru a little mud! Twas a memorable KOH as a number of us had the same issue!! Yup.....we all needed to get the alternator switched and the shield added. Of course the shield was on back order, so after a long wait, I finally got my Bronco back! FYI TSB 22-2392 (Thanks Bronco6g members for this btw!!!) , which was covered under warranty and the dealership took care of, as this was unfortunately a common problem with lots of Broncos! Dealership cleared all the alerts and was back business.

Well, drove it back home. parked. Few days later, I then drove maybe about 2 miles and a ton of smoke was coming from my exhaust. It should be noted that this isn't my daily driver and was left parked, and I had driven it back from the dealership at night, so if there was smoke I didn't notice it.

The smoke was so bad, it lingered in the air for a bit. After driving it back home, I figured it was burning oil? I didn't receive any alerts or notifications on the Bronco or on FordPass, and my oil level wasn't tooooo low (20%). I removed the dipstick to check the oil and noticed a light amount of smoke coming from it (not sure if that's normal). Oil was a bit black at first, but remained dark brown after checking it a few times. I took it straight to the dealership to get an oil change and get it checked out. Of course exhaust was smoking heavily when I pulled up and a burnt smell lingered. Following day, service tech called and said they couldn't diagnose anything, but would have it reexamined as he had seen all the smoke from the exhaust upon arriving. Service tech called back and said oil change was done but waiting for to hear back from mechanics.

.....still waiting after three days. Anyways, long rant but just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or has any input on what it may be as I impatiently wait to hear back from the dealer.
Hi there! I can look into your Bronco's concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?

OP
OP
beepee24

beepee24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan altima cp
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Blue is oil
Black is fuel
*blue

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
beepee24

beepee24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan altima cp
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

*oil leak confirmed. turbo coming out…borescope inspection. waiting game now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beepee24

beepee24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan altima cp
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

UPDATE: *Day 10 at the dealer: Dealer ordered a new cylinder head for the Bronco :cry:borescope test indicated a crack ..... it will arrive in 6 days (estimated). i’m only assuming it will be at least another week after that with labor as it seems like a pretty big fix. i also have to remind myself that my car is not the only one that needs repair lol.

Luckily my dealership has been very pleasant to deal with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beepee24

beepee24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan altima cp
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Update: dealership gave me an estimated date of my car POSSIBLY being finished for 3/21.

my vehicle as been at the dealership since 2/19! that is NOT including the two weeks it took to replace the alternator earlier in the month, at a different dealership.

swmetal

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C8 vette
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unload it through your state's lemon law, then buy a replacement. Prices are down and in-stock Bronco as available.

OP
OP
beepee24

beepee24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan altima cp
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

UPDATE: my dealer received a bad replacement head from the manufacturer 🤯 🤯🤯!!! HOW!?!!

they expedited the part so it should be here in 1 business day… 6 weeks and 1 day since it’s been in!! Loooong wait, but at least my service advisor has been responsive.

My 2.5 year wait for my actual order was less painful than this!!!!!!!
Sponsored

Last edited: