First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe but Consumer Reports list of engines most likely needing a rebuild include the 2.3 ecoboost.
2015 Ford Mustang

Chrome
2015 Ford Mustang 4-cyl.
Typical mileage:
76,000-85,000
Does anyone really expect these 2.3's to last over 100k miles hauling 5000lbs around? I wouldn't.
I also don't expect my 2.7 to make it to 10k, so there's that. 🤣
Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone really expect these 2.3's to last over 100k miles hauling 5000lbs around? I wouldn't.
I also don't expect my 2.7 to make it to 10k, so there's that. 🤣
You may be right about the 2.3, but if you get 10k out of your 2.7 and you maintain it, your probably going to get at least 150k or more out of it. Just check in with the F150 crowd.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
2.3L is fine IMHO. It’s just a fluke warranty repair. Focus RS came with wrong head gasket. Doesn’t correlate to Bronco.
Didn't say anything about a head gasket.

I just saw a lot of them scatter their internals over the road. Fortunately the motor is nowhere near as stressed in the Bronco as the RS variant was.

I never really enjoyed the motor in my 4 years with it, and the 2.3 in the Bronco is also just a buzzy rattly little thing that didn't make for a very pleasant experience when I drove it IMO.

Winger57

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LibertyDiesel,F450,88Ranger, 80Pinto, 65GT Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anyone seen the amount of testing goes into a new vehicle….. Uh Ford didn't design with the assumption everyone would be out bouncing around in Moab with they’re Bronco’s . Those just driving normal everyday roads cannot be causing oiling issues leading to failure due to not enough bouncing around! A vendor a design flaw a production part issue. Ive driven 2.3L Mustangs and Rangers the motor is awesome and plenty peppy. These things happen. Ford is always making changes some don’t work out in the long run.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuperFord

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Seems like a lot of extra unnecessary work for an engine replacement. He must not be flat rate.
While I’ve not done one on a Bronco and I agree that it’s probably unnecessary especially on a 2.3L, it’s not always as much work as it might seem.

I used to pull cabs on my and customers F-150’s regularly years ago in my Lightning racing days even just for a cylinder head repair or replacement.

This 5.4L engine can also be pulled through the hood but pulling cab only takes an hour or two and makes the rest of the job so much easier.

Ford Bronco Body removed engine replacement photo 1650711085674

Ford Bronco Body removed engine replacement photo 1650711118249

Last edited:

Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ha. As someone who owned an RS with the 2.3.... there's a reason I didn't want another one.

Several, actually.
But you bought a GT350….
I’m not worried. I’ve had 3 Subaru STis which have been notorious for bad ringlands for years and all have been modified and without issue for me. If something happens will deal with it then.

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Um has the owner of several big ford diesels the last thing we want to see is a ford tech that prefers or requires the whole body to come off! I get it fine under warranty but ask us supurduty owners how much it costs after the warranty runs out? Let us know what the total payout is from ford and good luck!
Sadly, most dealers pay techs flat rate. This means they get paid the same amount for the job regardless of how they approach and complete the task.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe but Consumer Reports list of engines most likely needing a rebuild include the 2.3 ecoboost.
2015 Ford Mustang

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Chrome
2015 Ford Mustang 4-cyl.
Typical mileage:
76,000-85,000
Perfect, it should fail within my 8 year 100K extended warranty.

Seems like a lot of extra unnecessary work for an engine replacement. He must not be flat rate.
I left the industry in 2020, but pulling cabs off F-150’s on up was becoming the preferred way for the flat rate techs because it was quicker and allowed easier access. I’m not at all surprised to see it on a Bronco.

That frame is a thing of beauty, looks massive compared to even most truck frames.

Sadly, most dealers pay techs flat rate. This means they get paid the same amount for the job regardless of how they approach and complete the task.
Most techs I knew were happy to be flat rate and bill 150+ hours per 80 hour pay period. The problem came when the OEM compared warranty time to actual repair time and saw there was a faster way causing the OEM to investigate and cut warranty times. Techs are always finding the faster way to complete the task. They usually lose their shirt the first couple times doing a new task, then they get faster and more profitable.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Question...the "truck" Frame is where the strength comes from right? So when you remove the body, isn't it "weak" meaning can it actually support everything without stressing or twisting metal, plastic interior parts, etc?

I mean I've seen people pull the body off, but a lot of times they've stripped out most of the interior.

When Ford builds them, do the place the body on the frame before or after adding all the interior weight?

Sponsored
OP
OP
SuperFord

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Question...the "truck" Frame is where the strength comes from right? So when you remove the body, isn't it "weak" meaning can it actually support everything without stressing or twisting metal, plastic interior parts, etc?

I mean I've seen people pull the body off, but a lot of times they've stripped out most of the interior.

When Ford builds them, do the place the body on the frame before or after adding all the interior weight?
The interior doesn’t weigh much (relatively speaking).

On the assembly line they install the seats, instrument panel (dashboard), etc. into the cabin or body after it has been painted and installed onto the frame.

the metal body is plenty strong enough to hold those parts (ex. Your seats and belts that hold you in place are bolted to the floor pan and body panels, and not to the frame itself.

there is also little or no twisting or torsional stress on the body in this example. The body is just lifted straight up and is “resting” on the lift arms instead of on the frame rails.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
But you bought a GT350….
I’m not worried. I’ve had 3 Subaru STis which have been notorious for bad ringlands for years and all have been modified and without issue for me. If something happens will deal with it then.

Yea, I have a modified 6.0 too 🤣 No one has ever accused me of buying rational vehicles.

My point originally though was really just to say no one should be surprised to see 2.3 failures as well. All the commotion over the 2.7s....2.3 owners aren't immune.

Fords gonna Ford.

Winger57

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LibertyDiesel,F450,88Ranger, 80Pinto, 65GT Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Working in a dealership we remove cabs alot just gives better access to all the stupid harness clips ford loves using and better for torqueing bolts properly.
Thats it you’ve sold me! Im skipping the pool this summer and buying the wife a lift for my garage with 9ft ceilings! Happy Birthday Dear! 🚨🚨🚨
Sponsored