Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4-door Badlands Bronco w/ Sasquatch package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all,

I was driving to pick some things up from the store and when I got back into my Bronco and started driving home I noticed the engine sounded funny. Kind of like a clacking sound when accelerating.

When I pulled into the garage I noticed a little white smoke coming from the driver side of the engine bay.

I just had new wheels and tires put on 2 days ago. I went up to 37’s. The mods I am running are a pulsar xt, Eibach stage 2 lift, and icon UCA’s.

I have attached a video for the sound. Anyone with more experience able to tell what’s going on? I think I might need to take a trip to the dealer but not sure I should be driving it with the smoke coming out briefly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mvilla

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4-door Badlands Bronco w/ Sasquatch package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update: the idiot who installed my winch put the power wire right next to an exhaust pipe. There was a short and some melted cable. A hole burned through the pipe. Luckily this looks like the extent of the damage. I need to order a new pipe and will get something welded on temporarily

I think it’s definitely important to install a kill switch on your winch. I saw a couple people here in the forums say it is not needed but definitely do it for peace of mind.

IMG_2789.jpeg

IMG_2790.jpeg

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update: the idiot who installed my winch put the power wire right next to an exhaust pipe. There was a short and some melted cable. A hole burned through the pipe. Luckily this looks like the extent of the damage. I need to order a new pipe and will get something welded on temporarily

I think it’s definitely important to install a kill switch on your winch. I saw a couple people here in the forums say it is not needed but definitely do it for peace of mind.

IMG_2789.jpeg

IMG_2790.jpeg
Glad that the damage appears to be minimal and you caught it when you did. Ultimately nobody got hurt, which is good to hear.

I sure hope the place that installed your winch is taking responsibility to make this right?

It seems to vary on who you talk to about a kill switch for your winch. I would opt for one, just for the peace of mind.

Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow that was a fire waiting to happen. Electrical needs proper planning and a step back and look it over after done for missed potential issues. This wasn’t done.

Trail_Runner

Base
First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 97 Jeep TJ, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
the pic of the hole is blurry, but it look like it bunt through the exhaust manifold.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Glad that the damage appears to be minimal and you caught it when you did. Ultimately nobody got hurt, which is good to hear.

I sure hope the place that installed your winch is taking responsibility to make this right?

It seems to vary on who you talk to about a kill switch for your winch. I would opt for one, just for the peace of mind.
make them pay for everything ...incompetency

Moose Knuckles

Big Bend
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

IMG_2789.jpeg

IMG_2790.jpeg
😣

Sponsored

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Isn’t that exhaust pipe metal? How did an electrical short blow out that pipe?

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really hope that who ever installed your winch, didn't work on your suspension.

• Wow
Reactions: 0ne

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn’t that exhaust pipe metal? How did an electrical short blow out that pipe?
When power goes to ground, especially that heavy gauge, it acts like a welder. Easily put a hole through metal. If it burned through the exhaust manifold, this will not be a cheap repair. Won't be covered by Ford and if he has any problems with the driveline in the future, they won't be covered by Ford either. I'm seeing so many new Broncos being ruined both functionally and aesthetically by too much lift and too much tire and wheel under them. Just throwing money away, but that's just my own opinion, sorry.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm no mechanic, but I'm a DIY guy to keep costs down AND to make sure shit like this doesn't happen. I installed everything on my Bronco, with some very frustrating moments when things are not clear or correct in the instructions. Due to bad or poor instructions, it can take fives times longer than advertised to install the first side or part and only "twice as long" to install the second side or part; but, between YouTube and the forums you can figure it out.

At least I know my Bronco isn't going to catch fire because some idiot placed wiring right next to the exhaust... Or, used the wrong gauge wire, the wrong connectors or...

I'd have a hard time if I was the OP remaining calm when showing that harness to the shop who installed it, that could have ended his Bronco and put him and whoever was in the Bronco at risk. What if it caught fire when using the winch in the wild and a forest fire started?
Sponsored