Sponsored

F150, Ford, Rachael Maddow Dont get mad, give it a watch [Off-Topic / Political posts will be deleted - Administration]

How many who viewed this actually watched the video?

• Total voters

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah but if WE start using EVs more(not totally because I love carbed big blocks) then WE will force OUR power supply markets to meet OUR demand by giving a reason to innovate. Then WE will come up with solutions that are just plain better. And like WE usually do, WE will drag the rest of the world into the future.
I can agree with that. Necessity is the Mother of invention. Problem is, necessity is one step away from misery. Hopefully we won't have to become miserable, in the way of extremely high energy costs, uncomfortable standards of living, etc. Before these innovations become a reality.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can agree with that. Necessity is the Mother of invention. Problem is, necessity is one step away from misery. Hopefully we won't have to become miserable, in the way of extremely high energy costs, uncomfortable standards of living, etc. Before these innovations become a reality.
Just going by the amount of scientists and engineers we experience on this forum, I think innovation should be able to keep up with demand. As far as standards of living the ony thing that has ever caused that to go down other than natural disasters is human greed.

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just going by the amount of scientists and engineers we experience on this forum, I think innovation should be able to keep up with demand. As far as standards of living the ony thing that has ever caused that to go down other than natural disasters is human greed.
God forbid we actually pay for the energy we consume at the risk of an "uncomfortable" standard of living. Pretty sure there are plenty of other reasons for that (lack of education, a crap minimum wage, tax cuts for the uber reach, for example). I agree that what we spend on our utilities is crazy, but we definitely over consume, so there is that.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So nuclear power plants are the answer? Cause you can't have enough electricity with out fossil fuels. Diesel, Natural Gas, and Coal generate the majority of electricity. Hydro-electric dams, windmills and solar aren't producing enough electricity to meet the demand. Maybe there will be a better way to generate electricity in the future? But for now it's fossil fuels, like it or not. Unless we build more nuclear power plants.
That may very well be the case, but that doesn't mean we still can't be better.

I'm no expert, but in my simple mind if we have X amount of power plants running on fossil fuels and have to either increase them a fraction to keep up with the demand for additional electricity to power our vehicles or add a few more, but eliminate millions of gas powered vehicles, we're at least moving in the right direction, no?

A slight carbon increase for a huge reduction is worth it, no?

Plus, to me, an electric car is just better in every way, except "refueling". It's a better experience, with better performance and better technology. Once the "refueling" is figured out. And it will be... People will want electric not bc it's "greener" but bc it's better.

Idk, charging is getting better, faster... I feel like I envision parking lots being full of charging stations and literally every place you go to you can just plug in while you shop or eat or sleep or whatever vs an "electric station" to fill up. I feel it'll become more integrated vs a separate place to go. 🤷‍♂️

Also, what's wrong with nuclear? After a quick Google, the US is currently 20% nuclear. And has 55 active plants...

USASAIL

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo S90, Chevy Suburban, Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Keyword..Tax credit!
Without a tax credit the ROI Break even is only 2 years longer (6.25 total) before it starts spitting cash like an ATM. Oil/Gas and the power companies get massive tax credits, I'll take my fair share when I can too

Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

Hopefully Iowa has winterized those wind farms? I hate to see Iowans have the same problem Texas had with a deep freeze 🥶
Texas went cheap so people suffered and died as a result. I have to believe Iowans know winter gets cold, just saying.

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want to like the Y but it’s just not for me. We’ll see how Rivian or a future electric Expedition or Wagoneer look like.

Correct, Iowa has no issue with wind in the winter. Neither does Norway, nor the wind power at Antarctic research stations. Unfortunately in Texas our gas plants went offline bc the water needed for steam froze solid. Hard to cook water when there isn’t any. Had we spent the bare minimum on infrastructure we would have been fine. That’s deregulation for you.

Although Texas is a leader in wind totals our % is only around 20% renewables. Had the rest of the 80% been online there wouldn’t have been blackouts for days. Those who faired best had solar panels on their roofs. It was bright and sunny the morning we dipped to 7 F.
Texas also couldn’t use coal because they don’t buy winterized coal (it’s a thing) . Main problem is they have a grid designed to make money for corporate interests- not a grid regulated for the interests of the citizens of TX

Sponsored

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, so you don't believe the article you used as a reference source. Again, you need to read the article I posted above, or watch the video posted below but you have to hear past their sugar coating of the truth.

OK, now find the methodology they used to get that number. And, yeah that site was linked in the previously posted article that started this conversation, it was a hyperlink embedded in the article.

Here is a primo example of what I mentioned above, people try to feed you crap with a smile on their face. This video plainly tells the viewer the problem is not solved but does it with a pleasant smile and kind voice, dare I say trying to fool the listener. I really liked the part where they bragged about the Texas grid, now this video was put out a year ago; well that did not age well.

Short story is there are real problems and very smart people are working on them, we just ain't there yet. If you want to live in a world of rainbows and unicorns by all means do, but the status of the real world is out there you just have to look for it behind all of the PR.
There is some great info here- thanks!

My problem with this argument is the “we’re not there yet”. May be true but that has never stopped Americans before. I don’t think you wait until everything is perfect before you innovate. The growth of renewables has been amazing in just the last 10 years and will just accelerate. The costs associated with them are dropping as well. Most of it is being driven by the free market. Coal is more expensive to use than many renewable options. Every year this gap will widen. Are there problems with a future, fully renewable energy grid? Yes, but none that can’t be solved.

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model