Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought many people here would be interested in this WSJ article. It's behind the paywall, hence the bulk of text not a link. Ford has forgotten how to run a cost-effective and quality-efficient business. And while I love my Bronco, evidence of all of these issues are too easy to find.

Ford CEO Jim Farley Grapples With Problems From the Auto Maker’s Past
Executives say Ford’s traditional business has proved more difficult to transform than expected

Jim Farley took over Ford F -0.70%decrease; red down pointing triangle Motor Co. more than two years ago, eager to chart the auto maker’s path to an electric, high-tech future. Lately, though, problems from the past are requiring his attention.

In recent weeks, Ford executives have outlined many challenges holding the company back: Ford still has too many people, Mr. Farley has said, even after cutting 3,000 jobs last year, and outlining plans this week for another 3,800 cuts in Europe.

Ford’s factories too often churn out vehicles of subpar quality, and supply-chain management lags behind competitors, executives said.

And overall, Ford’s annual costs are $7 billion to $8 billion too high relative to rival auto makers, according to its finance chief.

“We have deeply entrenched issues in our industrial system that have proven tough to root out,” Mr. Farley said earlier this month on the company’s fourth-quarter earnings call.

Mr. Farley has pointed to the irony that Ford—which invented the moving assembly line and built an industrial system that was the marvel of the world early last century—is being tripped up by some basic nuts and bolts of the car business.

“This is what we should be known for. It is our legacy,” Mr. Farley said.

On Wednesday, Ford said a battery fire in an F-150 Lightning was the reason it halted production at the Detroit-area factory that makes the electric pickup truck. Ford said the plant will be down at least through the end of next week as it investigates the cause and said it doesn’t think trucks shipped to customers are affected by the problem.

Previous Ford CEOs also have cited deep-rooted problems in Ford’s industrial system, which have lingered following different company overhauls through the years.

Former CEO Alan Mulally, who led the auto maker for nearly eight years before his 2014 retirement and was lauded for revitalizing the company, complained of needless complexity. Mr. Farley’s predecessor, Jim Hackett, who took over in 2017, emphasized the need for better operational fitness while cutting thousands of jobs.

“Clearly there were costs that were never taken out, or they were taken out and then put back in,” Morningstar analyst David Whiston said. “That is frustrating for investors, I’m sure.”

Ford’s shares have lagged behind competitors this year, increasing about 11% since the start of the year, compared with General Motors Co.’s 28% increase and a 20% rise for Jeep maker Stellantis NV. Ford’s stock performance during the past 12 months also trails those rivals.

Ford is faced with fixing entrenched industrial problems while also moving the company to a future tied to electric vehicles and digital services. It is a task confronting other global auto makers as they try to balance improving their legacy operations with building new business models.

“We have to do it all concurrently,” Ford Executive Chairman William Clay Ford Jr. told reporters Monday.

The troubles were evident in Ford’s fourth-quarter financial results, which fell short of its forecast, sending shares tumbling. Ford’s adjusted pretax earnings for 2022 of $10.4 billion were well below that of GM, which posted $14.5 billion for the year.

GM out-earned its rival last year on slightly less revenue and fewer workers. Ford has about 173,000 workers globally, compared with GM’s 167,000, according to regulatory filings. GM also sold more vehicles last year—about 5.9 million, compared with Ford’s 4.2 million.

Mr. Farley’s main focus is implementing cultural changes that will make Ford more efficient, he said at an analyst conference Wednesday.

“Quality and cost can be solved by the same approach: to go into the company and literally change the behaviors on how we engineer something, how we source it and how we build it,” Mr. Farley said.

The problems in Ford’s core operations threaten to hinder Mr. Farley’s goal for Ford to emerge as a top producer of EVs, analysts say. Ford’s gas- and diesel-engine-vehicles business account for more than 95% of U.S. sales and virtually all of the company’s profit, generating cash needed to underwrite the move to electric and increasingly digital vehicles.

In public appearances, Mr. Farley often contrasts Ford to electric-vehicle leader Tesla Inc. He cites areas where Ford is lagging behind, and has cited Tesla’s more than $10,000-per-vehicle cost advantage that he is trying to erase.

The CEO also has set a goal of eventually surpassing Elon Musk’s company in U.S. sales, and has been recruiting talent from Tesla, Apple Inc. and other tech companies to help Ford navigate the hurdles inherent in switching over to EVs.

Ford executives have cited a need to reduce complexity across the company. Mr. Farley has said the car maker needs to offer fewer models and simplify customer choice from what can be an array of feature packages and build combinations.

For example, Ford offers 57 options on its Explorer SUV, one of its top-selling models, compared with 24 options offered on the similarly sized Kia Telluride, according to a review from research site Edmunds at the request of The Wall Street Journal. Ford offers three powertrain choices for its Explorer, compared with one for the Telluride.

That complexity sometimes makes it more difficult for consumers to pinpoint a vehicle with the combination of features they want, said Edmunds analyst Ivan Drury. The additional options lead dealers to order a broader variety, which can result in inflated inventory and increase costs across Ford’s system, he said.

“In some instances dealers have to order vehicles with oddball sets of options and trim combinations as a ‘just-in-case,’” he said.

Mr. Farley pledged to tackle Ford’s quality concerns when he took on the role of chief executive in late 2020. In the years since, the company has continued to struggle with high warranty costs, and last year racked up the most product recalls of any major auto maker for a second straight year, he said.

The company has started to see improvement after hiring a new executive director of quality and implementing more-rigorous preproduction checks, Mr. Farley said to analysts earlier this month. He said more changes are coming.

“We have spent the last several months really getting deep on where we need to go,” he said.

Write to Nora Eckert at [email protected] and Mike Colias at [email protected]
Sponsored

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

“Ford executives have cited a need to reduce complexity across the company. Mr. Farley has said the car maker needs to offer fewer models and simplify customer choice from what can be an array of feature packages and build combinations”.

Hahahaha, like the 10 different options for the Bronco. 4-5 seems like a reasonable amount. Having 10 options is comical in my opinion.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for posting; I’d read that article and totally agree.

The problem with Ford is an entrenched bureaucracy of a “good ole boy“ culture that resists change, fudges reports upward, and sabotages most innovative ideas and processes.

The above is very, very difficult to root out in a company as old as Ford. There are a lot of old guard with loads of institutional knowledge and “friends” upward who protect them. At times, I wonder if it could even be members of the Ford family who are on the board and steer (pun) the company culture.

That said, I in no way feel the entire company is problem. Fact is, the auto industry is undergoing one of the largest and riskiest shifts in its history and it’s a lot to keep up with. Engineer’s carers are at risk with the shift to EV and this is happening at the tail end of their careers which feels akin to something else; agism.

Further, there isn’t enough diversity of thought throughout the company and that is never a good thing. Need more women with power and position with voices and people of different cultures and backgrounds who can see things that the good ole boys either miss or ignore.

Worst of all is Ford’s very poor strategic sourcing and supply chain management, which I suspect is led, or was recently led by a long term executive with a lot of power who didn’t want to hear any opposition to “his” own. Even if this guy is gone, I also think they’ve promoted from within and that his lieutenants continue this distructive legacy.

I do like Farley and think that he is the leader for the future of Ford, because he has the vision, but the person at the top can’t change it all.

@Ford Motor Company I’m rooting for you, as I am now in your camp and always had an affinity for Ford when it comes to domestic automobiles. Please, please root out the stale problems within your culture over the next 12-18 months and continue the march upward.

I’m available to consult if needed and would give you guys a good price for my services. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If Ford is having trouble getting cars built it's obviously due to the fact that they have too many workers and need to let thousands of them go........
Yeah clearly Ford needs more people managing. ;)

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

“Ford executives have cited a need to reduce complexity across the company. Mr. Farley has said the car maker needs to offer fewer models and simplify customer choice from what can be an array of feature packages and build combinations”.

Hahahaha, like the 10 different options for the Bronco. 4-5 seems like a reasonable amount. Having 10 options is comical in my opinion.
I'm not sure the complexity issue is having 10 different trims for a Bronco. Back in the day when the Japanese were taking hold they'd offer a couple of trims, colors, options but outstanding value and reliability that people were willing to drop the American way of custom ordering a vehicle. So my take is even if Ford drops the complexity what are they going to be left with, Better reliability? better value or customer experience?

LewesPlank

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep GC Trailhawk - Bronco Heritage ASAP
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Less than two years after the introduction of the Mustang, on Wednesday March 2, 1966, Ford produced its 1,000,000 Mustang in Dearborn. Makes ya wonder how in the hell they built so many cars then and can't get it together in 2023...

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

When the user manual is 500 or 700 pages tells you the level of complexity in todays vehicles whether all of that is really needed.

Ellis Family Garage

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands, '06 F150 FX4, '95 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Farley needs to go. He was complaining about how Ford as a company wasn't responding and things weren't going the way he wanted.

I thought that he was in command of the ship and that is ultimately responsible for Ford. Evidently he doesn't have the power or the balls to chop heads. Over last couple of years Ford has done some shake ups and moved a bunch of execs around to new areas. Problem with this was the fact they weren't doing a good job and by moving them to a different "new" position, didn't change the fact they were underperforming to start with and they just continue with under preform at a different position/job title.

All I know is the if I under preformed at my job by these gross amounts I would be canned no questions asks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Problems? What problems? Every time someone mentions an issue or problem here, they are told they are Jeep trolls who hate Ford. So obviously the writer from WSJ misquoted Farley to keep the Jeep trolls happy. There obviously are no issues with Ford and especially the Bronco.

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for posting; I’d read that article and totally agree.

The problem with Ford is an entrenched bureaucracy of a “good ole boy“ culture that resists change, fudges reports upward, and sabotages most innovative ideas and processes.

The above is very, very difficult to root out in a company as old as Ford. There are a lot of old guard with loads of institutional knowledge and “friends” upward who protect them. At times, I wonder if it could even be members of the Ford family who are on the board and steer (pun) the company culture.

That said, I in no way feel the entire company is problem. Fact is, the auto industry is undergoing one of the largest and riskiest shifts in its history and it’s a lot to keep up with. Engineer’s carers are at risk with the shift to EV and this is happening at the tail end of their careers which feels akin to something else; agism.

Further, there isn’t enough diversity of thought throughout the company and that is never a good thing. Need more women with power and position with voices and people of different cultures and backgrounds who can see things that the good ole boys either miss or ignore.

Worst of all is Ford’s very poor strategic sourcing and supply chain management, which I suspect is led, or was recently led by a long term executive with a lot of power who didn’t want to hear any opposition to “his” own. Even if this guy is gone, I also think they’ve promoted from within and that his lieutenants continue this distructive legacy.

I do like Farley and think that he is the leader for the future of Ford, because he has the vision, but the person at the top can’t change it all.

@Ford Motor Company I’m rooting for you, as I am now in your camp and always had an affinity for Ford when it comes to domestic automobiles. Please, please root out the stale problems within your culture over the next 12-18 months and continue the march upward.

I’m available to consult if needed and would give you guys a good price for my services. :)
God I hope the Ford Motor Company bot replies to your message asking for your VIN so they can look into this for you. Would confirm what we all think about its effectiveness!

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

God I hope the Ford Motor Company bot replies to your message asking for your VIN so they can look into this for you. Would confirm what we all think about its effectiveness!
What VIN? I drive a Wrangler. :)

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure they'll be just as (in)effective looking into that for you as well.
Yeah, I saw them ask Low Country for his VIN the other day and I was like; ahh no thanks. :ROFLMAO:

Got my Bronco a couple of weeks ago and am happy with it for sure, but see, that’s the thing that makes it so hard.

On one hand, Ford still has some gas in the tank (pun!), on the other, they can’t adequately deliver the results necessary to dominate the market.

Another example is the Mach E. As far as an EV, it’s brilliant, but they didn’t have the courage or confidence to give it an identity.

The F-150 Lightning is a novel concept, but it’s boring as hell and can’t do real truck stuff. My question here is, what was the rush? Was there a real market for an EV pickup? No there wasn’t really and won’t be until you build one that can tow 300 miles on a charge. Again, no identity.

The Braptor is another area and most relevant to all of us. The Warthog nickname was awesome! I mean really fucking awesome on several levels; it sounded mean, big, and badass. But no
.. the scared bunch were too chickenshit to pull the trigger on something radical that would have built its own ”IDENTITY“ and culture although the most rabid of the customer base were calling for it. Instead you decide to market to the passive, trendy, jackass crowd that more turn people off from your special edition than bring people to it. So why do it? No adults in the room with the balls to make a big call.

Basically, they felt that “well, the Bronco itself was risky enough” (Not really though!), so we’d better not press our luck here and push the ball forward.

Will Braptor sell? Yes, but will it become a true icon? Maybe, but not like Warthog would have done. Yet, Bronco is its own sub brand, right?

So, what this means to me is that there are two cultures currently at war within Ford; the old school guys who are capable of a homer, but also lead in strike outs and a BA of 229. Not quite triple A ball, but won’t win MVP either.

Ford needs to find a way to absorb the strengths of the old guard and shed all of their baggage while platforming the newer innovators to be free to push, push, push. That will help them to thrive and not just discuss mere survival.

Bronco sales will surpass Wrangler sales by Q3 this year, but only if they can build the ones that people actually want.
Sponsored