Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some feedback/help on my speaker upgrade plan since I'm a complete novice when it comes to this type of stuff.

What I plan on installing:
Front Corners: Hertz DCX 100.3 + 300Hz bass blockers
Front Center: PRV 4MR60-4 + 300 Hz bass blockers
Rear Pods: Hertz DCX 100.3
Kick Panels: Stock
Subwoofer: Stock

• Is there anything missing/anything you'd change to the parts above?
  • How much polyfil is needed per speaker location?
    • Should I even place it under each speaker?
    • Is there such thing as too much/too little?
  • Should I only put "kilmat" type sound deadening underneath the speakers, or should I also put some in between the speakers and mounting faces to possibly prevent unwanted rattles/vibrations? Not sure if that'll affect the sound at all
  • Is there anything else I should consider or be aware of while I have those panels off/open?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You can never have too much Kilamat. Iā€™d do as much as you are willing to do. Although I think youā€™d get more bang out of just doing big swaths of body panels than small areas near the speakers - helping cut down on road noise and tighten up the otherwise horrible trim fitment.

As far as fiber fill, Iā€™ve never done it for smaller speakers, just sub enclosures. Dunno how much it would help but I donā€™t see how it could really hurt anything either so long as you arenā€™t packing so much in there it affects the speaker being able to move.

The panels you are opening are easy to get at if you forget anything - I canā€™t think of anything else you really should be looking for there though unless you wanted to do the center dash USB or something at the same time

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can never have too much Kilamat. Iā€™d do as much as you are willing to do. Although I think youā€™d get more bang out of just doing big swaths of body panels than small areas near the speakers - helping cut down on road noise and tighten up the otherwise horrible trim fitment.

As far as fiber fill, Iā€™ve never done it for smaller speakers, just sub enclosures. Dunno how much it would help but I donā€™t see how it could really hurt anything either so long as you arenā€™t packing so much in there it affects the speaker being able to move.

The panels you are opening are easy to get at if you forget anything - I canā€™t think of anything else you really should be looking for there though unless you wanted to do the center dash USB or something at the same time
Yeah, I'd love to put killmat behind the door panels, but I try not to remove any panels unless absolutely necessary because I know it typically results in broken tabs/more rattles. Maybe one day though.

Putting polyfil behind speakers is one of those things I wasn't sure about because I typically see it in sub enclosures like you mentioned. Hopefully someone who did a comparison can chime in and say if it's worth it.

WestlakeHorn

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I installed the Hertz DCX 100.3 in the front corners and rear pods last weekend using Metra adapters and 150 Hz bass blockers in the front corners (Crutchfield's "kit" is excellent if you happened to buy through them). The improved soundstage will make you extremely happy that your undertook this exercise (I have the B&O fyi).

The front corner grills were difficult only b/c my trim tools were not thin enough to get under the side of the grill. I finally found a thinner trim tool and had zero problems.

I'm going to do the kick panels this weekend -- installing the Hertz midwoofers. I'm going to add Kilmat behind the kick panel enclosures. I didn't use in the other locations. Note that the space in the pods is pretty tight and probably not worth it in that location. I don't have any rattles from the 4" speakers and they sound good in my opinion (even the pods with no bass blockers).

I'm undecided on the center channel speaker -- let me know how feel it turns out. That may be a project for the following weekend....

Last edited:

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have the Hertz 100.3 across all 3 dash locations and they sound awesome. Rear pods are next but I plan on stepping up to 6.5's

Sponsored

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did these upgrades to my front speakers w/out the blockers. Brian_b is right w/r to the kilmat/poly wherever you can. I didn't upgrade the rears but did put kilmat/poly in there. I think it sounds better, but not as good as listening on my airpods. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ Honestly, I think the biggest difference was the upgrade to the center channel (to my untrained ears).

The below youtuber has some techniques you can adapt to your install...

INCREASE MID BASS! How to Sound Deaden Like a Pro - CarAudioFabrication (youtube.com)

IMPROVE SOUND! Deadening Treatment EXPLAINED - Better Bass and Improved Sound Quality! (youtube.com)

Installing speakers? These techniques make a BIG difference! - YouTube

Last edited:
OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the Hertz DCX 100.3 in the front corners and rear pods last weekend using Metra adapters and 150 Hz bass blockers in the front corners (Crutchfield's "kit" is excellent if you happened to buy through them). The improved soundstage will make you extremely happy that your undertook this exercise (I have the B&O fyi).

The front corner grills were difficult only b/c my trim tools were not thin enough to get under the side of the grill. I finally found a thinner trim tool and had zero problems.

I'm going to do the kick panels this weekend -- installing the Hertz midwoofers. I'm going to add Kilmat behind the kick panel enclosures. I didn't use in the other locations. Note that the space in the pods is pretty tight and probably not worth it in that location. I don't have any rattles from the 4" speakers and they sound good in my opinion (even the pods with no bass blockers).

I'm undecided on the center channel speaker -- let me know how feel it turns out. That may be a project for the following weekend....
Keep me updated on the kick panels please, still on the fence on that one. Which speakers did you get?

Also, you're right about not having much space for kilmat in the front 3 speaker pods. Couldn't really see any spots worth adding it too. I did add a bit to the rear pods, but there's also a ton of ribbing/ridges back there so you can't really add much. Definitely a lot of space for polyfil in there, though.

If anyone's planning on doing a similar upgrade, I'd probably skip buying kilmat for the front/rear speakers.

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did these upgrades to my front speakers w/out the blockers. Brian_b is right w/r to the kilmat/poly wherever you can. I didn't upgrade the rears but did put kilmat/poly in there. I think it sounds better, but not as good as listening on my airpods. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ Honestly, I think the biggest difference was the upgrade to the center channel (to my untrained ears).

The below youtuber has some techniques you can adapt to your install...

INCREASE MID BASS! How to Sound Deaden Like a Pro - CarAudioFabrication (youtube.com)

IMPROVE SOUND! Deadening Treatment EXPLAINED - Better Bass and Improved Sound Quality! (youtube.com)

Installing speakers? These techniques make a BIG difference! - YouTube
Did you use the same PRV 4MR60-4 for the front center? Also, do you use the stereo or surround setting? Seems the front center speaker is more pronounced in surround mode

Ibuprofen3293

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd skip the rear pod upgrade and put that money toward a sub upgrade. I went to Hertz K165 components in 6.5" Mabett pods and really can't tell a difference from the driver seat. ~$300 could have been spent somewhere else.

I've really enjoyed my Hertz CX100's in the front/left dash corners--incidentally, they seem like they are blown after getting my car back from the dealership, but were great for the year they weren't. They are just a tad bright to my ear. I just turned down the High EQ one notch. Not sure how the DCX's compare to the CX's.

I also use the PRV 4MR60 center, but I'm not sure I have a strong opinion on it... It's affordable and a helluva lot beefier than the stock speaker, so it's gotta be good, right? I ended up adding a foam baffle behind it to get rid of a buzz right in the male vocal frequency.

And for the sub... A lot of folks (myself included) have had good luck with the shallow mount Kicker 8" in the stock enclosure and Key 500.1 amp (Kit #2 at PlugnPlay Kits gets you all the parts together with a harness-- no affiliation). This will make as much or more of a difference in the overall sound as the dash corner speaker upgrade.

To echo others, use all the butyl sound deadener you can! The rear load floor & wheel wells made the largest difference for me.

Sponsored

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did you use the same PRV 4MR60-4 for the front center? Also, do you use the stereo or surround setting? Seems the front center speaker is more pronounced in surround mode
I did use that one... After purchase I noticed amazon has a similar speaker with neodymium magnet which is more sensitive.

Amazon.com: PRV AUDIO 4" Full-Range Neodymium Speaker 4MR60-NDY-4 PRO Audio Midrange - 60 Watts, 4 Ohm - Compact and Powerful Driver for Car Audio - Low Profile, High Fidelity Sound (Single) : Electronics

I would have bought that if I had seen it first, but ~25$ speaker is hard to argue against. I go all surround which seems to push the bulk of the audio to that center channel with the FL and FR kind of adding spatial fill to the sound stage. I'm no audio expert and partially hard of hearing, but I feel these simple upgrades made for a better listening experience. I also wasn't willing to dump +1000$ into upgrades for a sound system in a rolling cheese grater that I don't spend immense amounts ot of time in.

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did use that one... After purchase I noticed amazon has a similar speaker with neodymium magnet which is more sensitive.

Amazon.com: PRV AUDIO 4" Full-Range Neodymium Speaker 4MR60-NDY-4 PRO Audio Midrange - 60 Watts, 4 Ohm - Compact and Powerful Driver for Car Audio - Low Profile, High Fidelity Sound (Single) : Electronics

I would have bought that if I had seen it first, but ~25$ speaker is hard to argue against. I go all surround which seems to push the bulk of the audio to that center channel with the FL and FR kind of adding spatial fill to the sound stage. I'm no audio expert and partially hard of hearing, but I feel these simple upgrades made for a better listening experience. I also wasn't willing to dump +1000$ into upgrades for a sound system in a rolling cheese grater that I don't spend immense amounts ot of time in.
Dang, wish you didn't share that link because now I might have to consider that as well. Guess I'll see how the 4MR60-4 does first and go from there.

WestlakeHorn

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Kick panels: Hertz C165 F

Iā€™m intrigued by the sub project.

In the B&O, I fade the soundstage to right behind the front seats, so I do get some fill from the Hertz in the pod speakers.

If you sit the backseat, the muddled bass from the factory subwoofer makes you want to throw up. Thankfully, it is not as noticeable in the front seat.

EDIT: Just opened the Crutchfield box and I actually ordered the Hertz K165 components. Iā€™ll probably try them first rather than send them back.

Last edited:

WestlakeHorn

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Update - kick panel mod was totally worth it -- Hertz speakers, kilmat and polyfill. It further opens the sound stage. In many respects, this mod was easier than the dash speakers (especially the center channel).

I also added a Hertz 100.3 as the center channel speaker which continued to improve the B&O sound system. For me, this was the toughest speaker to replace.

Debating what to do about the subwoofer. After watching Ragnar's subwoofer video last night, I will definitely take the extra 20 minutes to add Kilmat to the back of the Bronco. Frankly, I may do that even before I change the subwoofer.

mdube72

Heritage
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Update - kick panel mod was totally worth it -- Hertz speakers, kilmat and polyfill. It further opens the sound stage. In many respects, this mod was easier than the dash speakers (especially the center channel).

I also added a Hertz 100.3 as the center channel speaker which continued to improve the B&O sound system. For me, this was the toughest speaker to replace.

Debating what to do about the subwoofer. After watching Ragnar's subwoofer video last night, I will definitely take the extra 20 minutes to add Kilmat to the back of the Bronco. Frankly, I may do that even before I change the subwoofer.
@WestlakeHorn - I also have the Hertz DCX 100.3 in my 2 corners. Right now, I have the stock B&O in the center, I will say that I dont really notice its there. Did adding the middle Hertz DCX 100.3 really wake it up ? I was concerned about it being too bright. In addition, there are countless threads on using the PRV as the center speaker. I am on the fence about the center.
Sponsored