Sponsored

Firewall pass-through for power supply on 7MT.

RossBG83

Black Diamond
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you cut the nipple on the grommet in the engine bay it's a 1/4 in hole.

What I ended up doing was using an X-acto knife to cut an X on the left side of the grommet in the engine bay, then sliced open the right side of the rubber nipple on the right side of the grommet behind the clutch. From there tied off the 3/4 inch antenna connection to a coat hangar and pulled it through. Hope this helps clarifies things for someone.
Ford Bronco Firewall pass-through for power supply on 7MT. PXL_20230422_231652186
Ford Bronco Firewall pass-through for power supply on 7MT. PXL_20230422_231636828
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I did the same, but be careful - I somehow sliced the fuel gauge wire. Cost me a week at the dealer and a massive headache for the tech. I was throwing codes for everything.

John P.

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you cut the nipple on the grommet in the engine bay it's a 1/4 in hole.

What I ended up doing was using an X-acto knife to cut an X on the left side of the grommet in the engine bay, then sliced open the right side of the rubber nipple on the right side of the grommet behind the clutch. From there tied off the 3/4 inch antenna connection to a coat hangar and pulled it through. Hope this helps clarifies things for someone.
Ford Bronco Firewall pass-through for power supply on 7MT. PXL_20230422_231636828
Appreciate the intel, as someday soon Iā€™ll be running amplifier power wire. Looking at your pics it looks like the wire you ran isnā€™t any wider than 1/8ā€ or 1/4ā€ unless the perspective is throwing me off. If thats the case, why not use the nipple?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I was prepping for a powered sub install today. Iā€™ve heard others use a small rubber grommet on the drivers side. On a manual transmission it looks to be used by the clutch. I could poke a hole in the giant rubber wire bundle pass-though but was hoping for another option.

This may help answer your question

RossBG83

Black Diamond
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Appreciate the intel, as someday soon Iā€™ll be running amplifier power wire. Looking at your pics it looks like the wire you ran isnā€™t any wider than 1/8ā€ or 1/4ā€ unless the perspective is throwing me off. If thats the case, why not use the nipple?
Just to make future access easier, glad I didn't cut anything

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just to make future access easier. Probably not the best solution but ĀÆā \ā _ā (ā ćƒ„ā )ā _ā /ā ĀÆ
I did the same as you for my GMRS cable and somehow nicked the gas gauge wire. Out of everything in that main harness. No idea. It caused all sorts of issues. But, an overlay and itā€™s been fine since.

I never got the full story from the tech. I wanted to give him some time to deal with the PTSD. Iā€™ll report back once I know more info. I think there was some other underlaying issues that this brought to light.

I ran amp and IAG dome lights through the nipple.

skim276

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just cut the nipple off and confirming it is a tiny hole, not enough to run multiconductor cable through, maybe for a single wire or something. Based on the cross sectional diagrams someone posted of the rubber grommet, it looks like it's still sealed from the inside, so cutting the nipple off doesn't seem to compromise the seal. I may have to go the route of cutting next to the wire harness as you guys did, looks like it is much thinner and easier to run cable through. But it doesn't seem very easy to seal off. Are you just putting some electrical tape on it and calling it good? Does anyone know of any grommet/clamp type device that could get a good seal? Thanks in advance.

LevelSeven

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco - 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just successfully installed a Midland GMRS antenna through the ā€˜nippleā€™ into the cabin. I did not see it mentioned anywhere in the thread that the grommet can easily be pulled out towards the engine bay. From there you can use an x-acto blade to make a star pattern. Since the antenna was larger than a wire, I also used a drill bit to create more space. If you squeeze the grommet at the top while drilling, you will notice a round ā€˜protectiveā€™ circle on the cabin side - just opposite the ā€˜nippleā€™. This should prevent the hole from expanding.

Engine Bay:
Ford Bronco Firewall pass-through for power supply on 7MT. 1000001079-01

From inside the cabin looking up:

Ford Bronco Firewall pass-through for power supply on 7MT. 1000001080-01

Drill in Engine Bay:
Ford Bronco Firewall pass-through for power supply on 7MT. 1000001081-01

I used some marker grease to help move the wire through the grommet and a piece of weed whacker string to easily see it in the cabin:

Ford Bronco Firewall pass-through for power supply on 7MT. 1000001082-01
Sponsored