Sponsored

Where are you folks running wiring through the firewall?

PJSmith

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't have the factory accessory switches. So I'm running a panel switch kit, which has a fairly large wire (probably 4 or 6 Guage).

I noticed there's a rubber grommet plug with two fins. Are those there to make it easy to pull out?

Recommendations and pics welcome. Thanks.
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The rubber grommet by the upfitter harnesses under the hood? Yep. I'd slice a small hole instead of taking it out though.

OP
OP

PJSmith

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Excellent. Thanks.

PleaseDontRoll

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In case you prefer to run your wires through the passenger side I used the rubber pass through on the passenger side below/behind the coolant reservoir (it has a mate on the driver side next to the passthrough you referenced). I had to use some tin snips to cut the end off the nipple (a bit awkward and have to do it blind) and then taped some 550 cord to a long screw driver and poked it through from behind the glove box (you'll see a black molded circle on the top of the interior side of the rubber pass through, thats the nipple) and used the 550 cord to pull my wires through.

shansen

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This may help someone at some point. I installed a Heretic light bar using the Heretic harness (Ford wire for light bar is not a heavy enough gauge) and for this install, you run the wires from the engine bay, through the passenger side wire grommet, and then up to the light bar on through the inside of the cab.

I unbolted the coolant reservoir to gain better access to this, I did not unhook the coolant reservoir (appears to be pressurised); just moved it a little for access.

I also cut the end off the nipple and ran the wire though. You do need to poke a flat screwdriver though first, as Eric pointed out, as the boot inside the cab is also sealed. Last tip - spray windex on the wire as you pull it through, some type of lubrication makes it much easier.

Ford Bronco Where are you folks running wiring through the firewall? IMG_0900

Ford Bronco Where are you folks running wiring through the firewall? IMG_0904

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Getting wire through this is usually the hardest part of any mod I've done to date.

I found using an exacto knife to cut a slit in both sides of the grommet and then a fish tape to tape the wire to was the best method.

timrobporter

Raptor
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Raptor; 2023 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This may help someone at some point. I installed a Heretic light bar using the Heretic harness (Ford wire for light bar is not a heavy enough gauge) and for this install, you run the wires from the engine bay, through the passenger side wire grommet, and then up to the light bar on through the inside of the cab.

I unbolted the coolant reservoir to gain better access to this, I did not unhook the coolant reservoir (appears to be pressurised); just moved it a little for access.

I also cut the end off the nipple and ran the wire though. You do need to poke a flat screwdriver though first, as Eric pointed out, as the boot inside the cab is also sealed. Last tip - spray windex on the wire as you pull it through, some type of lubrication makes it much easier.

My heretic light bar is coming soon. How did you get the wire from the inside to the outside at the roof? Do you have a photo of that? Heretic posted a YouTube video which I’ve watched a hundred times but what happens at the top where the wiring harness plugs into the light bar is pretty vague.

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ran mine through the provided spot on the drivers side. Here's a video with some more details. I hope it helps! FAST FORWARD TO: 10:10

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I did mine the hard way with the exacto knife through the grommet on the driver’s side when installing my amps but now wonder if something like this would make quick work of it if you remove the grommet and take it to the work bench. The grommet on the drivers side is much easier to fish wires through if you remove it to cut and pull the wires from my experience.
https://a.co/d/314SFsM
Ford Bronco Where are you folks running wiring through the firewall? 6D9EB21F-33BA-4C55-B1EE-72BEE83836A2

shansen

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My heretic light bar is coming soon. How did you get the wire from the inside to the outside at the roof? Do you have a photo of that? Heretic posted a YouTube video which I’ve watched a hundred times but what happens at the top where the wiring harness plugs into the light bar is pretty vague.
I don't have any pictures of pulling the wire up the pillar; it did feed through pretty easily after fishing a long zip tie through the pillar and then taping the wire to it. Two pictures below, the first shows the Heretic plug; I could not get a good seal on the hard top panel with this plug in place. I kept getting wind noise. I spoke to their engineer, hopefully they will provide a longer section to go from the light bar to the wire harness in the future so that the connection can happen on the passenger side and not within the rubber grommet area (there is enough room). For mine, I eliminated the plug, ran a longer wire (insulated it after this picture) and soldered the wires together so that no harness is needed. The second picture also shows where the wire comes out the top of the passenger side pillar, though I folded mine back a bit to give me some room for the solder connection and heatshrink.

Ford Bronco Where are you folks running wiring through the firewall? IMG_0930

Ford Bronco Where are you folks running wiring through the firewall? IMG_0933

Last edited:

Sponsored

timrobporter

Raptor
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I don't have any pictures of pulling the wire up the pillar; it did feed through pretty easily after fishing a long zip tii through the pilar and then taping the wire to it. Two pictures below, the first shows the Heretic plug; I could not get a good seal on the hard top panel with this plug in place. I kept getting wind noise. I spoke to their engineer, hopefully they will provide a longer section to go from the light bar to the wire harness in the future so that the connection can happen on the passenger side and not within the rubbler grommet area (there is enough room). For mine, I eliminated the plug, ran a longer wire (insulated it after this picture) and soldered the wires together so that no harness is needed. The second picture also shows where the wire comes out the top of the passenger side pillar, though I folded mine back a bit to give me some room for the solder connection and heatshrink.

IMG_0930.jpeg

IMG_0933.jpeg
Oh wow, that’s pretty clean

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't have any pictures of pulling the wire up the pillar; it did feed through pretty easily after fishing a long zip tii through the pilar and then taping the wire to it. Two pictures below, the first shows the Heretic plug; I could not get a good seal on the hard top panel with this plug in place. I kept getting wind noise. I spoke to their engineer, hopefully they will provide a longer section to go from the light bar to the wire harness in the future so that the connection can happen on the passenger side and not within the rubbler grommet area (there is enough room). For mine, I eliminated the plug, ran a longer wire (insulated it after this picture) and soldered the wires together so that no harness is needed. The second picture also shows where the wire comes out the top of the passenger side pillar, though I folded mine back a bit to give me some room for the solder connection and heatshrink.

Through the seals? 😳

shansen

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, just a small slit, about a quarter of an inch, is all you need to pull the wire through. Make the slit at the base of where the curved rubber hits a more "solid" rubber.

timrobporter

Raptor
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Do you have a photo of your battery hookup? I know the red goes on the red and black goes on black, just not sure which nuts to unscrew. I mean I think I know but a little reassurance would be good. Thanks! I’m wiring it up today.

shansen

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you have a photo of your battery hookup? I know the red goes on the red and black goes on black, just not sure which nuts to unscrew. I mean I think I know but a little reassurance would be good. Thanks! I’m wiring it up today.
I believe the one on the far left is running to my light bar. The middle two go to the ARB compressor, and on the far right I have an on-board trickle charger.

For the negative terminal, I'd connect on the bolt where the BMS is connected, like below.

IMG_1490.jpeg

IMG_1488.jpeg
Sponsored