First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 FJ40, 2011 X5D, 2019 Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Roll it over and see how bad it is...the first scratch is always the worst. Glad you're ok.
Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Road conditions have been shitty and the county has not been maintaining roads. Headed home last night I hit our county rd. (Windy, off camber, snow ice build up) was going about 15mph when I felt the tail end start to come around, jammed the breaks(I know rookie move)
Glad everyone is OK.

And you were in 4A when this happened?? These conditions are what 4A are made for. That's not good. And makes me second guess even getting advance 4x4 if it doesn't even do it's job.
If you read the account again, you will see that the cause of the loss of control was hitting the bakes when the rear end started to get loose. That doesn't mean it wouldn't have happened without hitting the brakes, but hitting the brakes definitely removed any control from the situation.

I'm not sure what job you feel a 4WD system would have in such a circumstance. You may be under the incorrect assumption that a 4WD system will prevent your vehicle from slipping on ice. That is not the case. A 4WD system additionally will not help you stop faster, and it will not help you turn at a faster speed.

In icy conditions, you want to provide slow controlled inputs into the throttle, brakes, and steering. Nothing sudden because friction is limited.

Last edited:

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I hate to see this Mike, but happy to hear you both walked away without any serious injuries.

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Random things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Glad your ok, that some crazy stuff.
I would buy it back from the insurance if it’s not expensive and sell it as is or make an awesome trail rig.
it would still sell pretty close to retail even with a salvage title.

Sponsored

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you read the account again, you will see that the cause of the loss of control was hitting the bakes when the rear end started to get loose. That doesn't mean it wouldn't have happened without hitting the brakes, but hitting the brakes definitely removed any control from the situation.

I'm not sure what job you feel a 4WD system would have in such a circumstance. You may be under the incorrect assumption that a 4WD system will prevent your vehicle from slipping on ice. That is not the case. A 4WD system additionally will not help you stop faster, and it will not help you turn at a faster speed.

In icy conditions, you want to pride slow controlled inputs into the throttle, brakes, and steering. Nothing sudden because friction is limited.
I always talk about this concept with people of what 4WD/AWD actually does for a car, it's not what people think it does.

The reason why I suppose are car commercials showing 4WD/AWD cars ripping through the snow as to imply that "you don't skid on snow/Ice with 4wd/AWD" and creates a false sense of security to some drivers. Think Audi Quattro commercials of yesteryear.

OP, sorry for your car but glad you and the wife are ok and also I am not saying you had a false sense of security for the record but others I speak to in normal car conversations.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm glad it held up well and everyone is ok.

That said I would love more pictures if you've got them!

And yeah 4wd or lockers don't do squat to help you stop or turn. They won't help you drive in snow or ice - except acceleration which is the least important part.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely not a 4A problem. That system is working flawlessly in mine. When I worked the missile fields in Montana for the Air Force, we were issued 2wd, rear wheel drive Expeditions. As others have stated here, it's tires and driving ability. OP stated the obvious, nailing the brakes when the ass end starts to swing around is a Rookie move. It's exactly what not to do. Let off gas, slowly steer into the slide to line the front end up with the rear, and counter correct slowly to get back into your lane. Glad the OP and family are all alive. Happy New Year peeps.

atimberwolf

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Glad you both came away with only airbag rash and bruising. That could have been a lot worse.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Damn sorry to hear 15 is probably to fast in icy conditions with those big ass tires . They will hopefully total that out you going to get in line for another or get something else

Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad everyone is okay!

For those questioning 4A, lockers, snow, ice, etc......there's a zillion factors when it comes to figuring out what happened on an mva on ice, but it almost always involves braking at some point. Here's my 03' f250 4x4 crew cab in 4H, sheet ice on a straight county dirt road going 15mph. Rear started to come around, I touched the brakes, did a 180⁰ into the little berm on the edge of the road, over she went, slowly but still ended up on it's side, all 8k pounds, momentum is real and it doesn't take much lol.

Ford Bronco First a deer and now Bronco rollover. Stay safe out there! ❄ Copy2ofDSC00721_zpsd05c0945

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Flew down to Cali to pick up our badlands from a private seller. 10/8, deer came out of nowhere 10/12 and bronco went to collision center got back mid December. Road conditions have been shitty and the county has not been maintaining roads. Headed home last night I hit our county rd. (Windy, off camber, snow ice build up) was going about 15mph when I felt the tail end start to come around, jammed the breaks(I know rookie move) immediately spun around and hit the bank and sent over and around. Needless to say I don’t think we will be getting her back this time. Wife doesn’t even want it anymore with all the bad juju
Stay safe out there!

View attachment 234067
Glad you’re ok, but sorry to hear this.

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

While this totally sux - we are all glad you are still here to tell the story. Broncos can be replaced…

The side curtain airbags are the big hero here - in a rollover situation, they made all the difference to ensure your safety! BTW - Jeeps don’t have ‘em!

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In icy conditions, you want to pride slow controlled inputs into the throttle, brakes, and steering. Nothing sudden because friction is limited.
I agree. Every new season, when snowy conditions hit, I always took my vehicle to a vacant parking lot to practice intentional spin-outs.

This let me know what to expect and rehearse how to handle it. Obviously, conditions aren’t the same everywhere, but I liked the idea that I was mentally prepared to handle the sudden loss of control and knew how the vehicle would handle.

On my Camaro, I discovered how much better it handled certain driving situations without the traction control on, or intermittently turning it on or off (like going uphill).

Whenever I get my Bronco, I’ll giddily hop in to do the same that first snowfall.