Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m curious what your water temp was. I’m guessing the 2.7EB in that package isn’t taxed much. The EB’s will pull like no other but low RPM’s and lots of load (boost) will build heat in the turbos.

My 2nd gen 3.5EB would have the power to accelerate up an 8% grade pulling a 9000lb travel trailer, the problem is it couldn’t get rid of the heat fast enough. I never had it go into power reduction mode (252 water temp I believe) but I did see it hit 245 a couple times and would regularly pull grades (when towing) at 235-240.

People like to say it’s an intercooler issue but ambient vs. intake temps never varied much than a delta of 10 degrees.

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m curious what your water temp was. I’m guessing the 2.7EB in that package isn’t taxed much. The EB’s will pull like no other but low RPM’s and lots of load (boost) will build heat in the turbos.

My 2nd gen 3.5EB would have the power to accelerate up an 8% grade pulling a 9000lb travel trailer, the problem is it couldn’t get rid of the heat fast enough. I never had it go into power reduction mode (252 water temp I believe) but I did see it hit 245 a couple times and would regularly pull grades (when towing) at 235-240.

People like to say it’s an intercooler issue but ambient vs. intake temps never varied much than a delta of 10 degrees.
Coolant temp wasn't an issue. It never went over 218. However I was watching the trans temp very closely. While on the highway, it seemed to be ok, even when climbing. However, once we got on the dirt road and was going much slower, the trans temp rose to 221. That's the highest I've seen it. It wasn't in the red yet but trans temps still worry me.... :confused:

schlava

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F250; 2021 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Your over your gvrw1
You don't have tow brakes!
Your over your payload!
Your insurance won't cover an accident!!

Hopefully that covered all the tow police comments so that we can enjoy your excitement!

I tow with diesel. We have the 2.7 and I've towed with a 3.5. They are great motors that to me are like mini diesels. It's nice to not hear scream their guts out all the time. Enjoy the towing and that's awesome it fits your needs.

Sponsored

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Coolant temp wasn't an issue. It never went over 218. However I was watching the trans temp very closely. While on the highway, it seemed to be ok, even when climbing. However, once we got on the dirt road and was going much slower, the trans temp rose to 221. That's the highest I've seen it. It wasn't in the red yet but trans temps still worry me.... :confused:
I wouldn’t worry at all about the trans temps. The new transmissions will run 250 all day long and not even worry about it. Nice to hear on the water temp though!

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Bronco's suspension is definitely softer than the Suburban's. I was surprised with the squat so we played around with moving the RZR forward and back until we felt good about the tongue weight.
Raise the ball height about 2 inches. It will ride much better

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The Bronco's suspension is definitely softer than the Suburban's. I was surprised with the squat so we played around with moving the RZR forward and back until we felt good about the tongue weight.
I was noticing the rear squat as well. Some interesting analysis from a skilled spring/trailer tow shop is in order. Most pickups and some SUV that have a factory trailer package are built a bit stiff in the rear suspension so that they can handle the tongue weight of a trailer and the extra weight of a load in the rear (and then they sell front level kits!). It appears that in the Broncos case the suspension is tuned for trail articulation and soft ride, not for extra load. There will be solutions!!

In the 1990s, there were several after market tow assist suspension upgrades that could be installed on my full size Bronco and similar vehicles and turned on when needed and left soft the rest of the time. These include
(1) rear air bladder assist springs that could be pumped up when needed with a dash button. In fact, my 2003 Excursion had one added by a previous owner.
(2) shock absorbers that could be twisted/switched by reaching under the car to a trailer setting when needed
(3) stocks that could be adjusted via dash controlled air hose
(4)Install a heavier spring, but that makes for a permanent fix (stiffer ride), whether towing or not.

Will be interesting to see if this is a problem that needs solving in the years ahead.

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just curious. What's the height from the ground to the bottom of your receiver on the 4dr BL non-squatch? My offroad trailer tongue is definitely higher than most so I'm curious as to how this will play out in my case before I pick it up.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

may need your advice on the sxs scene as we are looking to purchase one. Yours looks nice.
Get a can am there super nice I hear nothing but horror stories about the razors catching fire . Honda talon is really nice side bye side too. There all overpriced though getting as high as close to 30000 now

Sponsored

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Your over your gvrw1
You don't have tow brakes!
Your over your payload!
Your insurance won't cover an accident!!

Hopefully that covered all the tow police comments so that we can enjoy your excitement!

I tow with diesel. We have the 2.7 and I've towed with a 3.5. They are great motors that to me are like mini diesels. It's nice to not hear scream their guts out all the time. Enjoy the towing and that's awesome it fits your needs.
Thought same thing. I tow a similar set with my F350 PS. He’s running a single axle trailer. The appropriate position to distribute weight is more on tongue than behind axle. He’s doing nothing wrong.
Reminded why I’ll never post any pics in effort to be helpful. Too many know it all’s.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good write up OP, thank you. This is the kind of real world towing report I was looking for. Sounds like a few add-on items, like maybe sumo springs, or an added sway bar, or maybe weight dist. hitch as others have noted, the towing might be even a bit more stable (?), just guessing, even though it sounds like it was no issue. Thanks OP.

DJN1985

Base
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Super Duty 7.3, ZF6, 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why do you need that thing on the trailer? You have a Bronco!
So he can share and his friends can drive the Razr!

Bwaggs83

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get a can am there super nice I hear nothing but horror stories about the razors catching fire . Honda talon is really nice side bye side too. There all overpriced though getting as high as close to 30000 now
They are getting really expensive. Thanks for the help. I'll look into the Can Am

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are getting really expensive. Thanks for the help. I'll look into the Can Am
We have a group that we ride with regularly. They are mostly RZR with a couple of Can-Ams and other brands. You really can't go wrong with any of the newer modern SxS. We love the suspension of the RZR. The Bronco suspension is great but the SxS suspensions are better, especially when going fast. The turbos are wicked fast but not always necessary depending on the type of riding you do. You get a better view over the hood in a RZR than the Can-Ams but many people prefer the laid-back seating position of the Can-Ams. Go test drive them and see what you like better. They are all fun!
Sponsored