Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This morning’s result:

Light to medium rain. Backed into the driveway and turned on the wipers (15” trico onyx) and no slowdown. Once I realized there was no slowdown, I counted 25 wipes to be sure.
Pulled into the garage and let them run until they slowed down, then pulled back into the driveway but they did not speed back up once the rain was off them.

removed blades, sprayed them with synthetic wax, wiped them off, and reinstalled. No slowdown after driving for 5-10 minutes.

im sitting in my garage now, going to let them slowdown then drive around and see if they speed up. Will update later
Sponsored

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do they completely stop working after a while? If so I would think this is a warranty item and certainly a safety issue, if they slow to the point you can’t see because they can’t keep up in a downpour that’s a real issue.

OP
OP

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do they completely stop working after a while? If so I would think this is a warranty item and certainly a safety issue, if they slow to the point you can’t see because they can’t keep up in a downpour that’s a real issue.
No, they just go into intermittent mode. There is a big thread about it, and while, yes, it should be warrantied, as I mentioned earlier, I want to figure it out because I don't want a dealer hacking up my brand new vehicle, and I don't believe the motor is the issue.

UPDATE: I pulled out of the garage and they sped up when they hit the rain again! Drove around in the rain for an hour this morning and they worked flawlessly the whole time. And most of the time the rain was light enough that I'd normally use intermittent mode, and almost everyone else on the roads was using intermittent wipers.

Mosi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
TL;DR - Lift your wipers up and leave them up overnight (or when not in use) every day for a week! Then enjoy them working as intended! :)

Long version: I bought my Bronco on 11/15/22. The wipers slowing down plagued me all winter - they only worked properly once or twice. I was very active on the long thread about the issue, and like everyone, assumed there is something wrong with the motor. The manual states that the motor senses the resistance of the wiper blade on the window and will slowdown to protect itself if it has to work too hard to wipe. The manual also says that the wiper will speed back up once it senses less resistance from rain on the windshield. After reading this, I started to wonder "What if the issue isn't the motor - what if the motor is working properly and the issue is that there is too much resistance from the blade?"

So I went and looked at the wiper blades and the first thing I noticed was how heavy they were to lift. I lifted up on the blade of my Pacifica and it was so much easier to lift. So I played around, and even tried to remove the driver's side wiper arm to see if I could take it somewhere to get a lighter spring. I had no luck removing the arm, and finally thought to simply leave the arms raised as much as possible for a few days to see if that could stretch them. So I lifted them when not driving for a few days, probably about 48 hours total of being lifted.

Conclusion - since I lifted the blades a month ago, I have been in the rain 5 times and the wipers now WORK! They will shutdown during a break in the rain, but start back up when the rain starts up, which NEVER happened before. This morning I was out in a medium rain and had no issue with slowdown.

I have posted this several times in the below thread, but everyone seems to rather wait for Ford to approve having some dealer tear into the wipers to replace the motor, or a software update that will have no effect. :D
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/wiper-control-speed-issues-urgent-safety.31809/

And I posted a thread with a poll for possible fixes, but not much happened there. One user here has reported that 15" blades solved the issue.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/possible-wiper-fixes-easy-free-cheap.70311/

Anyway, here is the video I took this morning where, they are in slowdown mode in the garage, but when I back out and the rain hits them they speed back up. :)

Worked for me!
Sponsored