RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The removable top is the only draw for me. What they should have done is made a removable top that didn't suck. šŸ‘
Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just installed the same rubber sleeves. From what I could tell so far, it works. But then again it's 60 degrees. I'll take a better listen when its closer to freezing temps outside, as that historically brought out more rattles.

FYI upon taking a very close look with a flashlight - the rubber sleeves on the mid panel pins appear to be useless. Let me try to explain - All the pins have a ā€˜flangeā€™ at the top where it flares out some, and its too wide to get the sleeve over the flangeā€¦unless you use a size up and heat shrink it (which I did not). On the mid panel pins, the bracket is higher up in relation to the pin, and the bracket is inline with the flange area, so my sleeve actually sits a hair below the bracket and doesnt provide any protection between the two surfaces that would rub. Whereas on the front panels, the bracket sits lower in relation to the pin, so the sleeve does provide coverage. Thankfully, the mid panel pin design has a rubber gasket above, whereas the front panels do not. Likely the culprit of the issue in the first place.

Photos below of mid panel pin then front panel pin. You could see how the sleeve for the mid panel doesnā€™t provide coverage. Iā€™m not hearing any pops which is good. I suppose if I do hear pops from the mid panel I could go a size up on the sleeve and shrink it around the upper flange of the pin. But itā€™s really the front panels that were the problem and now seem to be fixed.

B5C5C876-249E-49D6-A28A-C1CD61BB3049.jpeg

1B797A60-60A4-48C6-A255-099EC79551A6.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Abundigas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
You made me love my Bronco. I had been trying to ignore the clicking noise. Tonight I heat shrank the pins and also lubed the holes with NAPA sil-glyde. And 100% satisfaction. Thank you.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I lubed the pins with Q-tip and vaseline. Dead silient now.
Didn't even have to take the panels off all the way, just scooted them up and over a bit.
Panel removal is a bit tricky with the roof rack on.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just did this fix, heat shrunk the pins. I had previously prepared all the gaskets on the front panels, and this time I took the mid panel off as well, used the same stuff. I had coated on the pins on the front the first time and along with the seals pretty much all of my wind noise went away. I never really had much popping. It was starting tho. I did notice when putting all the panels back in that the heat shrink on the 2 bigger pins on the sides of the front panels would not fit thru the hole with the heat shrink on them. Not sure why as no one else seemed to have this issue. Lol So I took the shrink off those 2 side pins and hit them with a dry lub silicon spray instead. We'll see what happens. Also tweaked my spare tire supports to see if I could get rid of a bit more of that tailgate pingng. It wasn't bad to begin with but if I can make it a little better. Lol šŸ¤˜šŸ™ƒ

VailBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This completely eliminated the noise for me and was very quick and easy. Make sure to use some pliers to gently push the tubing on all the way. Even if it doesnā€™t last forever it takes less than 10 minutes to do it over again.

OP
OP
Bronco wild outdoors

Bronco wild outdoors

Badlands
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
drivenwildgear.com
Vehicle(s)
17 f 250, 66 mustang GT, 91 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just installed the same rubber sleeves. From what I could tell so far, it works. But then again it's 60 degrees. I'll take a better listen when its closer to freezing temps outside, as that historically brought out more rattles.

FYI upon taking a very close look with a flashlight - the rubber sleeves on the mid panel pins appear to be useless. Let me try to explain - All the pins have a ā€˜flangeā€™ at the top where it flares out some, and its too wide to get the sleeve over the flangeā€¦unless you use a size up and heat shrink it (which I did not). On the mid panel pins, the bracket is higher up in relation to the pin, and the bracket is inline with the flange area, so my sleeve actually sits a hair below the bracket and doesnt provide any protection between the two surfaces that would rub. Whereas on the front panels, the bracket sits lower in relation to the pin, so the sleeve does provide coverage. Thankfully, the mid panel pin design has a rubber gasket above, whereas the front panels do not. Likely the culprit of the issue in the first place.

Photos below of mid panel pin then front panel pin. You could see how the sleeve for the mid panel doesnā€™t provide coverage. Iā€™m not hearing any pops which is good. I suppose if I do hear pops from the mid panel I could go a size up on the sleeve and shrink it around the upper flange of the pin. But itā€™s really the front panels that were the problem and now seem to be fixed.

Ford Bronco Fix to stop MIC hard top popping sound issue [how-to DIY video] 1B797A60-60A4-48C6-A255-099EC79551A6

Ford Bronco Fix to stop MIC hard top popping sound issue [how-to DIY video] 1B797A60-60A4-48C6-A255-099EC79551A6
The noise is caused by the pin over the driver/passenger seat rubbing on the side of the pin. The sleeve adds a buffer between the hard plastic pin and the metal bracket. The front does not appear to be a problem.

Sponsored

titleistforged

Base
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base, 2024 IS 500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sadly, the heat shrink sleeve just fell off. Even with some light heat applied to it to get it to be a tight fit, it felt off in several places and doesn't seem to be the long term viable solution (for me).

Also, I think I'm still hearing a rattle, which probably isn't from my hard top.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sadly, the heat shrink sleeve just fell off. Even with some light heat applied to it to get it to be a tight fit, it felt off in several places and doesn't seem to be the long term viable solution (for me).

Also, I think I'm still hearing a rattle, which probably isn't from my hard top.
Wrap them in electrical tape. It wonā€™t fall off.

OP
OP
Bronco wild outdoors

Bronco wild outdoors

Badlands
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
drivenwildgear.com
Vehicle(s)
17 f 250, 66 mustang GT, 91 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what size did you use?

titleistforged

Base
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base, 2024 IS 500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Heading to O'Reilly right now. Heat shrink in stock. Mine started right at 500 miles and has gotten worse (clicking more often) since.

Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Worked like a charm! I put the heat gun on it for a few seconds to tighten it up and give it a more finished look.

One thing I wish I would have done is snapped a picture of what the hard top seam looked like BEFORE I took off the sections. Putting it back, I hope I've got things seated right. That area looks like it could cause some issues in the future.

Ford Bronco Fix to stop MIC hard top popping sound issue [how-to DIY video] 20220305_125850

Ford Bronco Fix to stop MIC hard top popping sound issue [how-to DIY video] 20220305_131007
Sponsored

Last edited: