First Name
pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
chevy 2500 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After seeing hundreds of the other 4x4 small utility vehicle being towed behind a motorhome, I wonder if anyone on here has also done the deed with their Bronco?
What equipment is needed and what needs to be done to a BD squatch to be able to be towed.
I have an 8000 lb Roadmaster hitch but can't find the hardware to mount under the front of the Bronco.
Is there any cutting, modifying or fabrication to be done, and will the front tow hooks have to be removed?
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just made my 2 door Big Bend Flat Towable. I used the Blue Ox BX2692 adapters which involved some cutting to the mount for the bumper to allow the adapters to go in the frame. Also wired in some diodes to the back lights and ran to the Blue Ox connector in the front, and wired in +12V to charge the battery for my brake system. 2 weeks on my buddy's lift to complete including fog light addition (but I'm a little anal when it comes to wiring ;)). Here's the stuff I purchased:
Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? 1681924536433

Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? Bill Flat Tow Front Picture.JPG

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I flat tow straight off the Modular bumper mounts. Just had to get the off road adapters (035-1) for the towbar, I have the roadmaster nighthawk. And the Demco stay-n-play braking system. Everything works great, and there's nothing that needs to pair to the tow vehicle, it pulls like any other trailer.

IMG_0776.jpg

lni

Badlands
First Name
Lni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Dr Badsquatch, Porsche GT4, BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lots of people have. I have a Roadmaster setup myself. Just look through that thread, posted above, and you'll get everything you need. For the first dozen of us, it was tweaking the groundwork others started to work for us, but most combinations have been documented by now, in regards to the tow connections, lighting, charging and brake controls.
Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? PXL_20221016_213419434_2

Sponsored

Kane88

Base
First Name
Kane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I flat tow straight off the Modular bumper mounts. Just had to get the off road adapters (035-1) for the towbar, I have the roadmaster nighthawk. And the Demco stay-n-play braking system. Everything works great, and there's nothing that needs to pair to the tow vehicle, it pulls like any other trailer.

Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? PXL_20221016_213419434_2
Can you share of pic of your bumper attached please? Thanks,

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have a close up picture of the setup. but these are the adapters I got for the roadmaster nighthawk towbar to attach directly to the modular bumper.
Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? 71KF48UivwL._AC_SX679_
Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? 81O4Wk26S5L._AC_SX679_

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't have a close up picture of the setup. but these are the adapters I got for the roadmaster nighthawk towbar to attach directly to the modular bumper.
I have the same towbar and the same adaptors for my Modular Bumper. Clean system. Roadmaster makes a setup that removes the Modular Bumper tow hoods and replaces them with their twist and lock adaptors (which is what I have on my Honda CR-V). Seems kind of foolish to replace the tow hooks with a more complicated system that costs ~$450 and you lose the capability of the tow hooks:)

Idaho Chris

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm running a Roadmaster Nighthawk bar with Roadmaster Direct-Connect Base Plate Kit (removable arms) for attachment to the standard bumper. Braking system is portable RVi-3. Taillight wiring is Curt 58992 plug and play.

Installation was straightforward without any issues to speak of.

Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? 20230707_130834

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm running a Roadmaster Nighthawk bar with Roadmaster Direct-Connect Base Plate Kit (removable arms) for attachment to the standard bumper. Braking system is portable RVi-3. Taillight wiring is Curt 58992 plug and play.

Installation was straightforward without any issues to speak of.

Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? 20230707_130834
Do you have the LED tail lights? I know that there are two Curt kits, one for Bronco with LED tail lights and one for the Bronco without.

Sponsored

Idaho Chris

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you have the LED tail lights? I know that there are two Curt kits, one for Bronco with LED tail lights and one for the Bronco without.
Yes, my Outer Banks has LED lights. The CURT harness 58992 worked for me.

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks, my Black Diamond doesn't so the kit is 58996. Not all sales advertisements for the harnesses show with or w/o LED tail lights.

aknavy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Is there anything to this harness other than the plugs and the extension to run to the front? I added a receiver and the Curt wiring for towing a trailer - this seems to be the same thing, minus the powered module the trailer wiring comes with. I want to just add the extension to it to run to the fron and avoid another harness. Any idea if that will work and power the Bronco lights when in tow?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is there anything to this harness other than the plugs and the extension to run to the front? I added a receiver and the Curt wiring for towing a trailer - this seems to be the same thing, minus the powered module the trailer wiring comes with. I want to just add the extension to it to run to the fron and avoid another harness. Any idea if that will work and power the Bronco lights when in tow?
I had initially installed the Curt trailer tow harness like you. I initially used some independent auxiliary lights when using as a towed. Supposedly the Curt towed harness has diodes to prevent 'back feeding ' and damage to Bronco electronics. So I bought the Curt towed kit and installed to eliminate the auxiliary lights . The area behind the taillight barely holds all four Curt plugs with both kits but it works.

The Curt towed kit now comes with a 'Tap' to plug the trailer tow lights into to eliminate the need to run two sets of wires to taillights. So, I removed the taillight plugs from the trailer tow harness and spliced by color into the tap provided with the towed harness and grounded the white (and in my case red, long story) wire, all works well.

I may not have done the best explanation, but I suggest you study the Curt website, including installation instructions for both kits and I think you'll get it. You can by a kit from Curt to use the 'Tap' for the trailer lights, but removing the taillight plugs from the trailer harness does the same thing and doesn't require buying and installing a new trailer wiring kit.
Sponsored