First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In case anyone is interested, here are a couple photos of the installed Roadmaster Toad kit on the front of my standard bumper Outer Banks Bronco.

Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? 20230716_101941

Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? 20230716_102056
Sponsored

willettj

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just made my 2 door Big Bend Flat Towable. I used the Blue Ox BX2692 adapters which involved some cutting to the mount for the bumper to allow the adapters to go in the frame. Also wired in some diodes to the back lights and ran to the Blue Ox connector in the front, and wired in +12V to charge the battery for my brake system. 2 weeks on my buddy's lift to complete including fog light addition (but I'm a little anal when it comes to wiring ;)). Here's the stuff I purchased:

I almost have my Blue Ox setup complete as well.. about to purchase the Patriot braking system but the prices I am seeing are much higher than what you paid, curious where you found that deal :) Also interested in how exactly you supplied the 12v+ to keep the battery charged while being towed. Thanks!

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I almost have my Blue Ox setup complete as well.. about to purchase the Patriot braking system but the prices I am seeing are much higher than what you paid, curious where you found that deal :) Also interested in how exactly you supplied the 12v+ to keep the battery charged while being towed. Thanks!
Found a great deal on the last year's model at eTrailer for the Patriot braking system. Was a steal at close to half of retail while they had 25 of the Patriot 3's in stock at the time with the Patriot 4 having just come out.

As for the unswitched outlet, I ordered this pair off of Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082D8WKNW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

You can use the other one to install in your RV for the remote wireless brake monitor for the Patriot Brake system...

I pulled the center console and installed to the right of the power port using a step drill bit to drill out the plastic hole (also put a switch for my Diode Dynamics foglight/off road lights in here too as I put these in while I did the rest of the wiring for the flat tow connections and lights):

Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? IMG_5235.JPG

I then wired the outlet with a micro fuse tap similar to this one and attached the ground to a bolt under the dash. Can't remember which fuse I doubled down on, but I made sure it was unswitched...

https://www.amazon.com/Gebildet-Cir...17&sprefix=micro+fuse+tap,aps,105&sr=8-3&th=1

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

willettj

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Found a great deal on the last year's model at eTrailer for the Patriot braking system. Was a steal at close to half of retail while they had 25 of the Patriot 3's in stock at the time with the Patriot 4 having just come out.

As for the unswitched outlet, I ordered this pair off of Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082D8WKNW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

You can use the other one to install in your RV for the remote wireless brake monitor for the Patriot Brake system...

I pulled the center console and installed to the right of the power port using a step drill bit to drill out the plastic hole (also put a switch for my Diode Dynamics foglight/off road lights in here too as I put these in while I did the rest of the wiring for the flat tow connections and lights):

Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? IMG_5235.JPG

I then wired the outlet with a micro fuse tap similar to this one and attached the ground to a bolt under the dash. Can't remember which fuse I doubled down on, but I made sure it was unswitched...

https://www.amazon.com/Gebildet-Circuit-Micro2-Holder-Harness/dp/B07ZV4LY54/ref=sr_1_3?crid=20ZE6L29ZF79N&keywords=micro+fuse+tap&qid=1695230717&sprefix=micro+fuse+tap,aps,105&sr=8-3&th=1

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks! I plan to attempt the ForScan update to make the outlet in the console active all the time.. my question was really about how/where you connected the 12v from the RV to the Bronco to charge the Bronco from the RV

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks! I plan to attempt the ForScan update to make the outlet in the console active all the time.. my question was really about how/where you connected the 12v from the RV to the Bronco to charge the Bronco from the RV
Gotcha. I put in a resetable 15A breaker from Glosso (PN E512) in series with the connector from the RV and took the "output" and went right to the battery.

Sponsored

willettj

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Gotcha. I put in a resetable 15A breaker from Glosso (PN E512) in series with the connector from the RV and took the "output" and went right to the battery.
FYI.. the FORScan update to enable the 12v outlet full time worked... the 12v feed in my RV tow plug is not active so I have to look in to feeding power to it.. but I also can't find your Glosso breaker after a quick cursory search.. may have to go old school with a fuse ;)

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
After seeing hundreds of the other 4x4 small utility vehicle being towed behind a motorhome, I wonder if anyone on here has also done the deed with their Bronco?
What equipment is needed and what needs to be done to a BD squatch to be able to be towed.
I have an 8000 lb Roadmaster hitch but can't find the hardware to mount under the front of the Bronco.
Is there any cutting, modifying or fabrication to be done, and will the front tow hooks have to be removed?
Just keep in mind that flat towing on the bronco requires a very specific mode to be started on the bronco and following some very specific rules to ensure it stays in that mode. If it's not in that special mode and you flat tow it, the transmission will be ruined.

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FYI, I used a Brake Buddy Charger ($30 if you buy directly from Brake Buddy, $60 from e-trailer Towed Vehicle Battery Charger | Brake Buddy® ) and wired it to the center (12V Power pin of the 6 pin connector coming from my 7 pin RV connector 12V power pin). The Brake Buddy is fused for 15A and is a charger, not a direct line. It also has an LED showing when it is charging. Since it is an accessory to the Brake Buddy system, there aren't instructions included for just the charger installation but e-trailer has wiring instructions on-line. Pretty simple though, red wire to center pin of 6 pin RV umbilical connector, black wire to battery positive terminal and white wire to vehicle ground. (check me on that though....disclaimer :)).

I think all of the 7 pin connectors on RVs should have a power lead. Some people have said that you can have feedback from the TOAD battery into the RV battery but on my RV, when the ignition is off, the power pin on the 7 pin connector is off (easy to check with a test light). I'm not sure if the Brake Buddy Battery Charger has a diode to prevent backflow from the Toad so if the RV 7 pin power pin is still active when the ignition is off, you might want to disconnect the RV to Toad umbilical during long periods of non-use (like overnight). I do that just because I'm obsessive-compulsive but it really isn't necessary on my rig.

I just got back from a 4000+ mile vacation towing my Bronco and had no issues with the system.

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

FYI.. the FORScan update to enable the 12v outlet full time worked... the 12v feed in my RV tow plug is not active so I have to look in to feeding power to it.. but I also can't find your Glosso breaker after a quick cursory search.. may have to go old school with a fuse ;)
Here's a link on Amazon:

GLOSO E512 Stud Type Auto Reset Circuit Breakers for Car Truck RV Automotive Marine Boat Trolling Motor & Custom Wiring Audio Battery Protection Crosswise Bracket, (T1) - 1 Pack (15A)

I opted to use this based on an article I read on eTrailer. To be honest, it was kind of a pain to find a spot to mount it under the hood (ended up on the driver side fender wall close to the firewall). An inline fuse is certainly an easier install option, and if you can get it kind of close to the battery, probably better. It is kind of double protected with a fuse in the RV for the circuit when it is in use anyway in my case.

Nice that the Forscan thing worked. I've used it to mod a couple of other things. Very cerebral as you have to really watch what you change... I went out on a limb and changed my options from 4 door to 2 door in one of the settings for my 2 door Bronco. That disabled my rear swing door auto unlock/lock feature. Thankfully I only changed a couple of things and was able to go back.

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

FYI, I used a Brake Buddy Charger ($30 if you buy directly from Brake Buddy, $60 from e-trailer Towed Vehicle Battery Charger | Brake Buddy® ) and wired it to the center (12V Power pin of the 6 pin connector coming from my 7 pin RV connector 12V power pin). The Brake Buddy is fused for 15A and is a charger, not a direct line. It also has an LED showing when it is charging. Since it is an accessory to the Brake Buddy system, there aren't instructions included for just the charger installation but e-trailer has wiring instructions on-line. Pretty simple though, red wire to center pin of 6 pin RV umbilical connector, black wire to battery positive terminal and white wire to vehicle ground. (check me on that though....disclaimer :)).

I think all of the 7 pin connectors on RVs should have a power lead. Some people have said that you can have feedback from the TOAD battery into the RV battery but on my RV, when the ignition is off, the power pin on the 7 pin connector is off (easy to check with a test light). I'm not sure if the Brake Buddy Battery Charger has a diode to prevent backflow from the Toad so if the RV 7 pin power pin is still active when the ignition is off, you might want to disconnect the RV to Toad umbilical during long periods of non-use (like overnight). I do that just because I'm obsessive-compulsive but it really isn't necessary on my rig.

I just got back from a 4000+ mile vacation towing my Bronco and had no issues with the system.
I considered this but cheaped out. I left stuff connected on my most recent trip (around 4K miles as well) one night staying in a hotel and one night on an over night stay and suffered no ill effects.

I did double check my setup and found the voltage on the Bronco battery was around 0.2 V higher with the RV connected and running, so am sure the RV is charging the Bronco. Suspect you would run in to issues with both connected and running, but for me, that will never happen...

Sponsored

willettj

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Thanks for the tip! Just placed an order for that :)

willettj

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bill, how did you mount that break away switch? that location seems to be the only option even though I don't like it.. did you somehow make it easily removable? I'll post pics of my completed setup soon

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Bill, how did you mount that break away switch? that location seems to be the only option even though I don't like it.. did you somehow make it easily removable? I'll post pics of my completed setup soon
Hi Joe. I used a stainless steel bolt and nylock nut (see photo) to mount the bracket that came with the switch. I ran the wiring thru some split loom that I wrapped along the bottom of the cavity (see photo) to go along with the wire route from the RV umbilical connector... Spacing is a little tight, and you have to make sure you avoid the closable dampers in the front. I can't remember if I drilled a custom mounting hole in the bracket that came with the switch or not. I also can't remember if that bracket came with the switch, or was part of the Blue Ox Towing Accessory Kit - pretty sure it's a Blue Ox thing and not something I made.

Switch is not removable, and is there for the long haul (I hope) ;)
Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? IMG_5243.JPG
Ford Bronco Flat towing a Bronco? IMG_5244.JPG