Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Update in replies.

I purchased Flowmasters American Thunder axle back system on 11/29/22 from 4WP, it arrived the week of 12/12 and installed 12/17. Installation was very easy. They utilize their own mounts, one on top of the existing passenger OE mount and a new one opposite side in the rear. They use push nuts to slide on the ends of the hanger mounts which they recommend to tack weld in place. I have not done that yet, but they are still in place. I chose this exhaust based on a few things:

Sound, I thought it had a decent sound for the small V6 when I watched the video. Didnā€™t seem too loud, but a somewhat aggressive tone if you got on it. Which it does sound pretty decent to me. Very quiet inside the cab at regular acceleration and cruising speeds. No droning, we had a 12 hour trip to and from NC last week and there was zero annoyance from the exhaust at all speeds 55-85. But if you wanna hear it, stab the go pedal
Next up, Price. For $429 I didnā€™t think that was too bad for a ready bolt up small system. Probably cheaper at an Exhaust shop, but the time saved is worth it. I also didnā€™t want or need to spend $1k on a full system.
Clearance, the level of off-roading I do has yet to be decided, but I didnā€™t want to take away from any of the off-road prowess it had. A lot of exhausts protruded past or under the bumper. I think the tip is even slightly more tucked than the OE tip.
Lastly, hp gains. Whether true or not, a 19hp gain was claimed with the exhaust. I did also add a K&N air filter, always have used them, no issues. Plus plan on a tune or tuner or something along that line down the road so figured the exhaust would compliment those gains.
My only gripe so far, rust. This exhaust has had the paint burned off over 70% of the system and looks 10 years already. I have used 1000*F plus rattle can paints that have never burned off of many types of exhaust. This is unacceptable for a 5 week old system. I have reached out to Holley to see if they want to rectify it, but have yet to hear. I guess if they do not want to I will attempt to remove and paint myself. But I should not have to. That being said, this is my first painted aftermarket exhaust system I have purchased, but would never have expected this. If anyone cares what I have to say. Seems the only posts that get noticed are when I need to call BS on things. Lol.

sorry they were not posted in this order, and the vid of me revving it in the driveway would not upload.

Ford Bronco Flowmaster American Thunder axle back review-UPDATE 5BE4BBD8-B135-47E1-B725-DB30C437F703

Ford Bronco Flowmaster American Thunder axle back review-UPDATE 18B43DE7-B278-46E3-9045-3DFBF6C17C28

Ford Bronco Flowmaster American Thunder axle back review-UPDATE AD91AA4D-8FBB-4E0F-8773-3A321CD569D7

Ford Bronco Flowmaster American Thunder axle back review-UPDATE 68B88CBF-E30A-4EAD-9D72-15B8C5A0FF88
Sponsored

Last edited:

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was leaning towards this exhaust, but yeah that paint looks terrible.
Hopefully they do you right.

Baseaf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mine does not look like this either. I've had it on for quite a while already.

OP
OP
Rjacks258

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Glad to hear so far it isnā€™t common on these, more basis for them to rectify.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rjacks258

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I called Holley today to ask about my rust issue and what I got was nothing. After getting connected to 3 different reps, the guy I last talked to said ā€˜itā€™s normal for paint to burn off after a few heat cycles and 409 stainless will start to surface rust. Best bet to sand it and spray some hi-temp on it. They wonā€™t warranty unless it rusts thru.ā€™
Wait, did I not buy it painted? Are you guys using regular fricken Krylon? I have painted many, many hi-temp parts and have no issue with off the shelf paint burning off. Even clear. WTF?!?. I honestly did not know 409 stainless would do this as I have had it on MX bike exhausts and never had issues. Last Flowmaster Exhaust for me. My stainless MBRP on my 2009 Ranger is fine, and it has been on the truck for 2 years, and no bed for one year or so.

snewton

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 2 dr /1966 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't waste your money on Flowmaster exhaust. The quality is poor and It rusted almost immediately. My stock exhaust still looks new after a year. The flow master looks like this after a couple months. Even the hangers on the Flowmaster exhaust rusted almost immediately.

Ford Bronco Flowmaster American Thunder axle back review-UPDATE IMG_3407.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG

IMG_3410.JPG

OP
OP
Rjacks258

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't waste your money on Flowmaster exhaust. The quality is poor and It rusted almost immediately. My stock exhaust still looks new after a year. The flow master looks like this after a couple months. Even the hangers on the Flowmaster exhaust rusted almost immediately.

Ford Bronco Flowmaster American Thunder axle back review-UPDATE IMG_3410.JPG

Yes, quality is very poor. I have had better results with off the shelf rattle can hi temp paints. Napa sells a really good brand. Even in clear.
That being said, it is supposed to be under review at Holley, who knows if they will do anything.

DallanW

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Glad I read this thread, I was considering it. Saved me, I live at the beach-never good for rust.

Biggwrm

First Edition
First Name
Orran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Weird. I have the flowmaster flowfx cat back and its stainless and looks great.
the paint looks awful.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rjacks258

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And they are not doing shit about it. Last product I buy from anything under the Holley Umbrella.

snewton

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 2 dr /1966 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Today I received a full refund from the company I bought the exhaust from. I bought it through CJ Pony parts. I have found them to be excellent if there are any issues with items. I bought most of my parts there when restoring my Mustang and had a couple bad parts which were immediately replaced.

TheGeneral

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco SAS, 21 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Damn read this post kind of late, bought my exhaust a week ago and will be installing it Tomorrow, got it on ebay and the person dont do refunds.

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update in replies.

I purchased Flowmasters American Thunder axle back system on 11/29/22 from 4WP, it arrived the week of 12/12 and installed 12/17. Installation was very easy. They utilize their own mounts, one on top of the existing passenger OE mount and a new one opposite side in the rear. They use push nuts to slide on the ends of the hanger mounts which they recommend to tack weld in place. I have not done that yet, but they are still in place. I chose this exhaust based on a few things:

Sound, I thought it had a decent sound for the small V6 when I watched the video. Didnā€™t seem too loud, but a somewhat aggressive tone if you got on it. Which it does sound pretty decent to me. Very quiet inside the cab at regular acceleration and cruising speeds. No droning, we had a 12 hour trip to and from NC last week and there was zero annoyance from the exhaust at all speeds 55-85. But if you wanna hear it, stab the go pedal
Next up, Price. For $429 I didnā€™t think that was too bad for a ready bolt up small system. Probably cheaper at an Exhaust shop, but the time saved is worth it. I also didnā€™t want or need to spend $1k on a full system.
Clearance, the level of off-roading I do has yet to be decided, but I didnā€™t want to take away from any of the off-road prowess it had. A lot of exhausts protruded past or under the bumper. I think the tip is even slightly more tucked than the OE tip.
Lastly, hp gains. Whether true or not, a 19hp gain was claimed with the exhaust. I did also add a K&N air filter, always have used them, no issues. Plus plan on a tune or tuner or something along that line down the road so figured the exhaust would compliment those gains.
My only gripe so far, rust. This exhaust has had the paint burned off over 70% of the system and looks 10 years already. I have used 1000*F plus rattle can paints that have never burned off of many types of exhaust. This is unacceptable for a 5 week old system. I have reached out to Holley to see if they want to rectify it, but have yet to hear. I guess if they do not want to I will attempt to remove and paint myself. But I should not have to. That being said, this is my first painted aftermarket exhaust system I have purchased, but would never have expected this. If anyone cares what I have to say. Seems the only posts that get noticed are when I need to call BS on things. Lol.

sorry they were not posted in this order, and the vid of me revving it in the driveway would not upload.

I have a Flowmaster catback and have put over 3K miles on it since I installed it last October. It has gone through a full winter in Whistler and I have no rust at all. I would suggest that Holly will make good on yours. It should definitely not look like that after 5 weeks.
Sponsored