Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy 2500HD, 2008 Buell 1125R, 98 Buell S1W
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Installed FMI Bronco Skid Plates, along with their rear differential skid and rear shocks skids. Installed on a BL SAS with 2.7

link to the Skid Plates https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/co...essories/products/2021-ford-bronco-skid-plate
link to the Installation instructions https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1054/1650/files/Bronco_Skid_Install.pdf?v=1645728228
link to the diff skid https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/co...2021-ford-bronco-rear-differential-skid-plate
link to rear shock skid https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/co...nco-rear-shock-guard-kit-by-foutz-motorsports

The engine, transmission and transfer skid plates are 3/16" 6061 Aluminum. The diff and shock skids are steel. The parts are well made and and finished. After ordering had the items within five days as they had them in stock. Packaging was good with the exception of the hardware for the skid plates, was in a zip lock bag that came open during shipment. Needless to say the shipper damaged the box and part of the hardware was missing, a couple of nuts I did call FMI about the missing hardware, they were willing to ship a new hardware kit, told them not to worry as I had what was needed on hand in the garage. Installation was fairly straight forward, only one issue, the back cross member that bolts to the bronco transmission cross member, the instructions stated to tighten it up before installing the rear plate. Recommend if anyone installs these skid plates to leave this cross member loose until they have all seven of the rear skid plate bolts started and hand tightened. The front factory steel bash plate was reused and the kit doesn't include a gas tank skid. The gas tank skid isn't a concern as the Badlands has a gas skid from the factory, my primary goal was to cover the transmission and the exposed transmission cross member and other two cross braces used on the 2.7. Am considering covering the bottom of the plates with either 3/8" or 1/2" UHMWPE sheeting.

Pictures after the installation.
Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 1661051456624
Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 1661051470949
Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 1661051488641
Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 1661051506563
Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 1661051629422

Just so no one is surprised if you order these plates, on both sides of the rear skid plate where they cut, formed and bent the side of the plates up, what appears to be seams circled in red below are not welded. I called and asked about this, they stated it was to reduce the end user cost, we didn't go into any other details on the subject. At the end of the day not being welded most likely does not impact the strength of the skid plate and I'm not concerned. Welding 6061 aluminum can reduce the strength up to 50%. To restore the strength would require heat treating of the plate which would definitely add to the cost.

Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 1661051851093

Rear Diff skid plate pics, no issues with install
side view
Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 1661052480792

Back View
Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 1661052548376

Side view of rear shock skid plate, no issues with install except the half inch drive air impact wrench wouldn't loosen the bottom shock bolt, had to break out the Milwaukee Fuel M18 half inch drive impact wrench, it didn't flinch at loosening the bolt.

Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 1661052636691

My only concern is FMI customer tech support, it seems to be very low on their priority list. When installing the rear skid plate under the transmission had issue with the bolt holes not aligning for the bolts along the front edge of the plate that thread into the Bronco cross member under the engine This was last Saturday, took some pictures and e-mailed them along with a description of the issue. By Tuesday afternoon had no reply, so I called them. They stated they haven't seen the e-mail, after talking they found the e-mail, they stated they needed to check with production floor and would call back in a few minutes. By Thursday afternoon hadn't heard back from them so called them back, they stated they hadn't had a chance to look at the issue yet. After talking about the issue for a few minutes they suggested loosening the bolts for the rear skid plate cross member. After work I loosened the bolts for the rear cross member and then was able to slide the cross member towards the driver side which resolved the issue with the front holes not aligning. I sent them an e-mail that the issue was resolved, and that they should revise the installation instructions and consider slotting the bolt holes on the rear cross member were it attached to the Bronco transmission cross member. Haven't heard a reply back and don't expect too.

Have no issue with the instructions needing improvement, it's new product and until a few are installed in field there might be some issues that come up that test fitting on their shop bronco didn't reveal due to manufacturing tolerances.

1661051535687.jpeg
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the great review. I've been keeping an eye on this one. ;)

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Installed FMI Bronco Skid Plates, along with their rear differential skid and rear shocks skids. Installed on a BL SAS with 2.7

link to the Skid Plates https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/co...essories/products/2021-ford-bronco-skid-plate
link to the Installation instructions https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1054/1650/files/Bronco_Skid_Install.pdf?v=1645728228
link to the diff skid https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/co...2021-ford-bronco-rear-differential-skid-plate
link to rear shock skid https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/co...nco-rear-shock-guard-kit-by-foutz-motorsports

The engine, transmission and transfer skid plates are 3/16" 6061 Aluminum. The diff and shock skids are steel. The parts are well made and and finished. After ordering had the items within five days as they had them in stock. Packaging was good with the exception of the hardware for the skid plates, was in a zip lock bag that came open during shipment. Needless to say the shipper damaged the box and part of the hardware was missing, a couple of nuts I did call FMI about the missing hardware, they were willing to ship a new hardware kit, told them not to worry as I had what was needed on hand in the garage. Installation was fairly straight forward, only one issue, the back cross member that bolts to the bronco transmission cross member, the instructions stated to tighten it up before installing the rear plate. Recommend if anyone installs these skid plates to leave this cross member loose until they have all seven of the rear skid plate bolts started and hand tightened. The front factory steel bash plate was reused and the kit doesn't include a gas tank skid. The gas tank skid isn't a concern as the Badlands has a gas skid from the factory, my primary goal was to cover the transmission and the exposed transmission cross member and other two cross braces used on the 2.7. Am considering covering the bottom of the plates with either 3/8" or 1/2" UHMWPE sheeting.

Pictures after the installation.
Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 1661051535687

Just so no one is surprised if you order these plates, on both sides of the rear skid plate where they cut, formed and bent the side of the plates up, what appears to be seams circled in red below are not welded. I called and asked about this, they stated it was to reduce the end user cost, we didn't go into any other details on the subject. At the end of the day not being welded most likely does not impact the strength of the skid plate and I'm not concerned. Welding 6061 aluminum can reduce the strength up to 50%. To restore the strength would require heat treating of the plate which would definitely add to the cost.

Rear Diff skid plate pics, no issues with install
side view

Back View

Side view of rear shock skid plate, no issues with install except the half inch drive air impact wrench wouldn't loosen the bottom shock bolt, had to break out the Milwaukee Fuel M18 half inch drive impact wrench, it didn't flinch at loosening the bolt.

My only concern is FMI customer tech support, it seems to be very low on their priority list. When installing the rear skid plate under the transmission had issue with the bolt holes not aligning for the bolts along the front edge of the plate that thread into the Bronco cross member under the engine This was last Saturday, took some pictures and e-mailed them along with a description of the issue. By Tuesday afternoon had no reply, so I called them. They stated they haven't seen the e-mail, after talking they found the e-mail, they stated they needed to check with production floor and would call back in a few minutes. By Thursday afternoon hadn't heard back from them so called them back, they stated they hadn't had a chance to look at the issue yet. After talking about the issue for a few minutes they suggested loosening the bolts for the rear skid plate cross member. After work I loosened the bolts for the rear cross member and then was able to slide the cross member towards the driver side which resolved the issue with the front holes not aligning. I sent them an e-mail that the issue was resolved, and that they should revise the installation instructions and consider slotting the bolt holes on the rear cross member were it attached to the Bronco transmission cross member. Haven't heard a reply back and don't expect too.

Have no issue with the instructions needing improvement, it's new product and until a few are installed in field there might be some issues that come up that test fitting on their shop bronco didn't reveal due to manufacturing tolerances.

Nice writeup. Considering this.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There are a few decent systems out there now for skids... We have MetalCloak local to me, great full belly skid but they chose steel and it weighs 200 lbs and bolts over the fuel skid plate keeping that weight as well...

Then you have Next Venture Motorsports, also full belly plate system but its aluminum, weighs only 80 lbs and removes the factory fuel skid thus saving weight. Both MC and NVM have great bolt hiding systems as well to keep their surfaces smooth and slippery. NVM is super pricey though... like really pricey...

This seems like a fantastic middle ground, cheaper then both of the other options, lighter then MC but still full coverage. Ignores the factory fuel tank skid (because honestly its plenty strong and doesn't need replacing). I only gripe about the exposed bolt heads on the skids shown in your pictures.... They look ready to be sheered off or chewed up on the rocks.... this is where the other companies excelled.

Honest question though cause I may bite the bullet on these and test them on the Rubicon... Do you have to remove the skid plates to do oil changes or anything like that?

OP
OP
Ingridthehorrible

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are a few decent systems out there now for skids... We have MetalCloak local to me, great full belly skid but they chose steel and it weighs 200 lbs and bolts over the fuel skid plate keeping that weight as well...

Then you have Next Venture Motorsports, also full belly plate system but its aluminum, weighs only 80 lbs and removes the factory fuel skid thus saving weight. Both MC and NVM have great bolt hiding systems as well to keep their surfaces smooth and slippery. NVM is super pricey though... like really pricey...

This seems like a fantastic middle ground, cheaper then both of the other options, lighter then MC but still full coverage. Ignores the factory fuel tank skid (because honestly its plenty strong and doesn't need replacing). I only gripe about the exposed bolt heads on the skids shown in your pictures.... They look ready to be sheered off or chewed up on the rocks.... this is where the other companies excelled.

Honest question though cause I may bite the bullet on these and test them on the Rubicon... Do you have to remove the skid plates to do oil changes or anything like that?
As to your question about the oil change, the plate under the engine has to be removed.

Your comment about the exposed bolt bolt heads are a concern.

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m looking for 2.3 specific. No hang down
Hmmm, another possible issue for me too with the 2.3. I don’t have those low hanging cross members. I wonder if it bolts up higher without the crossmembers or remains hanging low

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I also went aluminum for my skid protection. Since my 2-door already had the factory bash plate, steel engine skid, and steel fuel tank skid, I opted for the gear box and transfer case skid from ASFIR. Each piece is 1/4” aluminum and weigh 9lbs for the gearbox skid and 11 for the transfer case skid. Easy bolt on and the price was decent ($400 for both including shipping from Israel).
Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 73743EF0-E407-438D-B0C8-D6E1F4CBF3A3

Last edited:

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

These scream stay away, Next Venture has reinforced brackets and added support.
Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 1661051488641~2

Skid is going to hit the front differential as soon as it starts to deform from use.
Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed 1661051506563~2

My Metalcloak is deforming and dented here. I would return them if they are not reinforced and bolted on those side plates.
Example, this is steel and bolted and braced and been beat on.
Ford Bronco FMI Skid plates Installed PXL_20221117_222441097~2

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Skid is going to hit the front differential as soon as it starts to deform from use.

My Metalcloak is deforming and dented here. I would return them if they are not reinforced and bolted on those side plates.
Example, this is steel and bolted and braced and been beat on.
How are you liking the Metalcloak? You have the original ones right? I was over there the other day and they stayed they have tweaked their design a bit recently based on feedback.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@popo_patty I rate Metalcloak Undercloak as a good option for mild use. I don't feel Metalcloak is the Rubicon/Hard Core product that they try and push.

Fit and finish new was not an issue. Moving the skid plates to my second bronco was bad to the point I fear pulling them. I am talking 24" pry bar and unibit to get them back on. Everything no longer lines up well and takes way to much effort to get them lined up.

Structural issues are they bolt to the V6 cross braces on one side. The fuel tank skid plate is now fully support by the stock skid (I wouldn't run Metalcloak without the factory fuel tank skid underneath). Metalcloak should have ran their skids on the Rubicon before selling them.

I Love the design for actual use, the flat belly is awesome and only take 2-3 people to push me off an obstacle. Draw back is how much clearance you lose. They move the lowest point from a point to the whole underbelly.

OP
OP
Ingridthehorrible

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At the time I bought these they were with everything considered, (weight, covering the transmission pan and transmission cost members) the best cost option at the time IMO. Granted I realize they have their faults and most likely not hold up to hard core rock crawling, but they should hold up to what off-roading I'll be doing in the near future.

My first choice would have been the Next Venture Aluminium skids with the UHMW, but deemed them to costly. Next choice was the Metal Cloak but decided against because of the weight, not trying to build a heavy battleship.

I have plans to reinforce them and coat with UHMW sometime later in the year and maybe in a couple of years look to see what's available after better designs come to market based on everyone's field experiences.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Next Venture Motorsports -Its 80lbs MORE than stock with UHMW and 40lbs heavier than stock without UHMW. There is a lot steel (good thing) for their brackets/braces of the aluminum.
Sponsored