Sponsored

FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.!

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just thought others may like to know that there is an option when installing the controller. My grandsons are like monkeys and have been known to climb over the console which I feel would inevitably render the control knob destroyed if placed per instructions. There is plenty of room to place all components of the kit on the driver's side by popping the hinged lower dash panel. It is how you access the fuses as well. Used the conical step drill to make the hole on the headlight switch panel. Discarded the supplied bezel. The factory wiring harness for the controller is already located right above the accelerator pedal. Be careful popping it loose, lots of razor sharp objects under all vehicle instrument panels.!! Ouch.! Very quick install without removing console or glove box.! The module is stuck to the metal plate under steering column , using supplied sticky tape, with a couple zip ties for insurance (I did trim the tails off after the pic.!).Hooked to a trailer and the led lights up when applying the brakes. True plug and play for those of us with the factory tow option. If anyone else has posted using this location for the controller switch/knob my apologies, many searches did not find this method.
Ford Bronco FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.! 62533C47-A1F1-4559-AF0F-8BCB57A6576B
Ford Bronco FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.! D7FC5AAF-2AE9-4652-B599-816C42148909
Ford Bronco FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.! 4F8305BF-1D40-4D53-B83E-8591BC2C5ADD
Ford Bronco FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.! 646BB456-A3AA-4FCA-AC47-23AB10A1DF48
Ford Bronco FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.! 73DB28A2-4546-4A04-81A5-B9C0B5F54336
Ford Bronco FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.! D5A78B01-4E6A-46BD-A780-40D29291D276
Ford Bronco FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.! 61AEBF3F-706F-4544-8B3B-E2849C80B2D5
Ford Bronco FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.! 537DA0E0-D7A2-412B-9AF1-D617BB248694
Ford Bronco FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.! 0D425619-49F9-444A-9CFB-92A466E846EF
Ford Bronco FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.! 2C3151AB-2938-45EF-97EE-2F792FBB4809
Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great post,Thanks!!

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just went with this installation method. One issue I’m having is after install of the controller the relays under the hood seem to keep cycling long after I shut off the Bronco. It’s the approved factory kit, but not sure if this is normal behavior. Like a trailer sensing feature. I’ve disabled it for now by putting the blank plug back in. Any thoughts? I’m new to brake controllers so any info is helpful.

OP
OP
jd-ford-hd

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just went with this installation method. One issue I’m having is after install of the controller the relays under the hood seem to keep cycling long after I shut off the Bronco. It’s the approved factory kit, but not sure if this is normal behavior. Like a trailer sensing feature. I’ve disabled it for now by putting the blank plug back in. Any thoughts? I’m new to brake controllers so any info is helpful.
My first thought is the brake controller is not the problem. Many people, myself included, have noticed these phantom clicking noises even before/without a brake controller. I’ll have to ask: is yours "approved" by Ford AND from Ford accessory parts division.?

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ordered it from a Ford dealer, seems to be the official Redarc TowPro. I’ve noticed the clicking noises before, usually to do with key proximity and possibly just random system checks. This is happening a lot more than without the controller. I’m curious if it has to do with the mid package safety features like brake assist etc.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jd-ford-hd

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll have to pass on giving anymore technical advice.!! Mine has not acted any differently than before. I have pulled a trailer with brakes and it worked flawlessly.! Maybe, hook yours to a trailer with brakes so all systems can initialize/normalize and the onboard module family will recognize there is a new member to argue with.! 😁

zedster

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco 2 dr Badlands SAS, '22 F150 PowerBoost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where did you buy the controller? Ford finally cancelled my order from February as they say it is out of stock in all their warehouses.

OP
OP
jd-ford-hd

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where did you buy the controller? Ford finally cancelled my order from February as they say it is out of stock in all their warehouses.
I bought mine thru Levittown Ford parts.

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Very clean install. I just picked up the kit and am getting ready to install it, but was also trying to identify possible alternate locations to the center console. I also am not a fan of that spot. I saw the location you utilized and was wondering if I could install rhe knob there without the supplied "trailer brake" plate. I also don't like the fact that the plate requires a 1in hole!! to be drilled. This method allows for a much smaller hole AND the mounting location for the module is easily accessible without having to take anything apart! Also looks like a cleaner install. The center console location def makes it obvious it wasn't a factory install, where this location allows the new knob to blend in with the others and give it a more factory look.

Good to know it's possible. I think you've convinced me to go with this location. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jd-ford-hd

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very clean install. I just picked up the kit and am getting ready to install it, but was also trying to identify possible alternate locations to the center console. I also am not a fan of that spot. I saw the location you utilized and was wondering if I could install rhe knob there without the supplied "trailer brake" plate. I also don't like the fact that the plate requires a 1in hole!! to be drilled. This method allows for a much smaller hole AND the mounting location for the module is easily accessible without having to take anything apart! Also looks like a cleaner install. The center console location def makes it obvious it wasn't a factory install, where this location allows the new knob to blend in with the others and give it a more factory look.

Good to know it's possible. I think you've convinced me to go with this location. Well done and thanks for sharing.
Yes.! Throw the faceplate away.! We all know what it is and which way to turn the knob.!

Sponsored

jdwin1989

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Ford Escape XLT, 2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My first thought is the brake controller is not the problem. Many people, myself included, have noticed these phantom clicking noises even before/without a brake controller. I’ll have to ask: is yours "approved" by Ford AND from Ford accessory parts division.?
Yep, same issue with noises form under the hood. Hours after shutdown can still sometimes hear something happening. I also have been getting some dashboard warnings...Hill Start Assist Not Available, Check Brake System, Service Advance Trac, Pre-Collision Assist Not Available....all one right after another.

2022 Badlands High-Package. No Trailer controller.

g8rb8t

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Excellent write-up and install! Definitely like this location better than the center console.

Just completed the install today on mine for the Liberty Tow Pro Brake Controller in the same location. Not sure if they changed the switch or not on the Tow Pro Elite, but mine uses an ethernet cord between the dial controller and the module. I had to slighty modify the vertical dash support as it hits the back of the switch where the wire comes out. Had to slightly modify the support where the blue arrow is to allow room:
Ford Bronco FORD ACCESSORY BRAKE CONTROLLER INSTALL MADE EASY.! D5A78B01-4E6A-46BD-A780-40D29291D276

OP
OP
jd-ford-hd

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excellent write-up and install! Definitely like this location better than the center console.

Just completed the install today on mine for the Liberty Tow Pro Brake Controller in the same location. Not sure if they changed the switch or not on the Tow Pro Elite, but mine uses an ethernet cord between the dial controller and the module. I had to slighty modify the vertical dash support as it hits the back of the switch where the wire comes out. Had to slightly modify the support where the blue arrow is to allow room:
I popped the cover down last week to wire in a USB and saw where I nibbled away the same piece. I thought to myself that I should have included that little tidbit of info. You did good.! Thanks for sharing.

g8rb8t

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yep, just a nibble. Final Product below. Looks like the Liberty Tow Pro version has a metal nut. So much better than the console location.

20230521_181851.jpg

Arlo.Overland

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the post. I used this to install my break controller. Made the install easy!
Sponsored