Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed the Ford drawer, which is really well made. I was able to load it with essentials that I might need along the path (recovery gear, first aid, lights). Two concerns:

1. Will I still be able to use my Deep Sleep mattresses. The answer is absolutely. Simply use the support pieces on top of the folded down seats. Fits pretty well. There is a gap if you slide the support all the way up. My plan was to fill it with a blanket. Iā€™ve since slept on the setup without the blanket and it worked just fine. Just need to load the support cushion the ling way.

2. Will it support two people. I felt the answer was no. Ford listed 50 pound limit for items stacked on top of their drawer assembly. It can easily hold more, but the center is pretty weak. I added a steel cross beam. You need some bend or a pretty thick strip. I used a rubbermaid channel ($10) and attached it with glue and one screw in the middle. This screw pokes through where Ford placed a support beam so it is 100% covered (thus will not snag). Painted it black and rounded the edges. The bar is supported by solid metal on both ends so it adds easily a few hundred pounds of support. We slept on top with zero issues.
Ford Bronco Ford drawer (reinforced) with Deep Sleep mattresses installed EA02651C-EEB9-4FD6-8CAF-57C3BBB0012C

Photo of the Rubbermaid bar. I bought at Home Depot. That bend adds a lot of strengh. Yes, it sticks up but is well rounded. I find that it helps keep things from sliding around I topped the sides with a rubber mat.
Ford Bronco Ford drawer (reinforced) with Deep Sleep mattresses installed BA1C997C-A0DA-41C2-A950-0258BFE9C71B

You want to tuck the drawer end under the metal lip and run the bar to the other end. This way it is supported by solid metal. I added a screw halfway across. You will see a ā€˜cā€™ channel is welded underneath by Ford (so the screw will not stick through).
Ford Bronco Ford drawer (reinforced) with Deep Sleep mattresses installed 18F4F707-1FA2-4205-800C-7E99FD70339F

This gap exists if you rotate the underneath pad. I felt this way would best support my head but probably needs a blanket. If you spin the pad 90 degrees, no support blanket needed but you need something under the head. Pick your poison. Either works just fine.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you share a pic of the pad rotated where it fills the gap next to the drawer? I can't fully visualize it. This is the same setup I have. I have the drawer and I'm trying to figure out how to set it up so I can occasionally sleep in the back. I was thinking I'd have to build a wooden platform to level out the drawer, but I'd rather not do that.

OP
OP
BroncoT

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here you go. I did a video but cant get it to load. I donā€™t have the bottom cushion fully inflated. Doing so closes the gap another half inch.
Ford Bronco Ford drawer (reinforced) with Deep Sleep mattresses installed 5A188D68-F128-4257-B42F-BEB55103A630

OP
OP
BroncoT

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was able to clip off enough of the video to give you a good look. I slept in it this way one night without a blanket (but fully inflated) and it was perfectly comfortable.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoT

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was able to clip off enough of the video to give you a good look. I slept in it this way one night without a blanket (but fully inflated) and it was perfectly comfortable.
Perfect, thank you!
Sponsored