First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi all, I have a question specifically about the transmission tuning in the Ford Performance tune.

All I ever see anyone say about the transmission with the Ford Performance tune is that "it shifts better" or "shifts are smoother". I haven't seen any posts or reviews about it that explains in more detail just HOW it shifts better?

Reason I ask is because I actually feel like my transmissions shifts too smooth. I know that may sounds strange, but to me it actually feels like a CVT, meaning I sometimes can't tell it has shifted at all and I personally don't like that feeling. I want to feel the shifts - maybe I'm among the minority in that regard?

Anyway, can someone please explain in a bit more detail what people mean when they say the transmission shifts better? If it smooths out the shifts any more than what mine already feel like, I'll skip this tune and consider a JB4 - yeah yeah I know all about the differences between the two 🤣
Sponsored

John Whammer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Let me give my 2¢.

Its in the right gear much more often. It also makes use of the higher RPM range instead of always seeking to keep the RPM under 2, which was my experience with stock.

Take a look at one of those HP vs RPM graphs and youll see lots of power (and in fact peak power) well past 2,000 rpm. With stock you rarely get up that high.

Mostly though, its just in the right gear when you want to pass, after taking a turn, to climb a hill, etc. you tap the gas and the power is right there, instead of the vehicle sipping gas and ultimately having to downshift 5 seconds too late.

it sounds small but in fact it makes a giant difference in how the vehicle drives.

if you’ve driven a manual you know what I mean. Downshift into a turn and come out of the turn with power to get back up to speed, downshift before a hill and get the power to accelerate into the hill instead of downshifting in the middle if the hill.

you could always just floor it in a stock build, but this is much more natural.

OP
OP

youloze

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Let me give my 2¢.

Its in the right gear much more often. It also makes use of the higher RPM range instead of always seeking to keep the RPM under 2, which was my experience with stock.

Take a look at one of those HP vs RPM graphs and youll see lots of power (and in fact peak power) well past 2,000 rpm. With stock you rarely get up that high.

Mostly though, its just in the right gear when you want to pass, after taking a turn, to climb a hill, etc. you tap the gas and the power is right there, instead of the vehicle sipping gas and ultimately having to downshift 5 seconds too late.

it sounds small but in fact it makes a giant difference in how the vehicle drives.

if you’ve driven a manual you know what I mean. Downshift into a turn and come out of the turn with power to get back up to speed, downshift before a hill and get the power to accelerate into the hill instead of downshifting in the middle if the hill.

you could always just floor it in a stock build, but this is much more natural.
Fantastic reply! Thank you for the extra insight on what the actual differences are. I'm much more inclined to buy the tune now. More power, better trans tuning (explained haha), ability to adjust RPMs for 37s and warranty. Checks all the boxes.

Thanks again!

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fantastic reply! Thank you for the extra insight on what the actual differences are. I'm much more inclined to buy the tune now. More power, better trans tuning (explained haha), ability to adjust RPMs for 37s and warranty. Checks all the boxes.

Thanks again!
I'll go ahead and second his explanation. Having lived with it now for a few months, if it only offered the transmission tune I'd still take it. The extra horsepower is just a bonus.

OP
OP

youloze

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'll go ahead and second his explanation. Having lived with it now for a few months, if it only offered the transmission tune I'd still take it. The extra horsepower is just a bonus.
Wow, great to hear. Thanks!

Sponsored

JFelty

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I agree with both reviews above the HP is a bonus but the transmission performance improvement is the one thing my Wildtrak needed and I love it!! Actually brought it to the dealer the first week I had it because I thought something was wrong because of the responsiveness. They drove it and thought the same thing then they talked to Ford and let me know it was meant to be that way. The tune fixed it all!!

OP
OP

youloze

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree with both reviews above the HP is a bonus but the transmission performance improvement is the one thing my Wildtrak needed and I love it!! Actually brought it to the dealer the first week I had it because I thought something was wrong because of the responsiveness. They drove it and thought the same thing then they talked to Ford and let me know it was meant to be that way. The tune fixed it all!!
Thank you! Can't wait for the 2023 model year to be approved for the tune.
Sponsored