Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't see why people have issues with electric cars, for an around town, to/from work, or even a road trip car as long as enough infrastructure is there and charging times aren't too significant (no more than half hour for every 4 hours of driving), then they sound great. And free up from a lot of constraints of IC engines.
Ugghh! That sounds terrible! 1/2 hour charging? I hate waiting 2-5 minutes to fill with gas!

And don't get me started on how long batteries last. Especially if they are regularly run in -20F temperatures sitting outside all day and then needing to heat, defrost, run wipers, headlights, rear defrost while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Batteries don't really handle heat very well either.

Electric just isn't competitive or a mature technology yet. Even if I wanted my car to be an appliance, which I don't, electric just plain isn't very good. I have no problem with other people buying an electric car, but I have no interest at all personally.

Give it another 10-15 years. If by then we have electric cars that can make it a couple hundred thousand miles without needing major repairs (no battery or motor replacement) - and less than 5 minutes to a full charge, then maybe I will consider it. Maybe I would consider it if I no longer want a "fun" vehicle.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ugghh! That sounds terrible! 1/2 hour charging? I hate waiting 2-5 minutes to fill with gas!

And don't get me started on how long batteries last. Especially if they are regularly run in -20F temperatures sitting outside all day and then needing to heat, defrost, run wipers, headlights, rear defrost while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Batteries don't really handle heat very well either.

Electric just isn't competitive or a mature technology yet. Even if I wanted my car to be an appliance, which I don't, electric just plain isn't very good. I have no problem with other people buying an electric car, but I have no interest at all personally.

Give it another 10-15 years. If by then we have electric cars that can make it a couple hundred thousand miles without needing major repairs (no battery or motor replacement) - and less than 5 minutes to a full charge, then maybe I will consider it. Maybe I would consider it if I no longer want a "fun" vehicle.
I can agree with most of what you said, electric is still in its infancy however. And a 1/2 hour charge for a long road trip I wouldn't consider too unreasonable, time to stretch legs. granted yet, I use to do 12+ hour trips with only a single gas stop in the middle back when I was younger as well.

There is definitely room for battery tech to grow, become more efficient, longer lasting, less environmentally impacting. I feel that electric is a good solution for the middle ground cases right now, but not for edge cases (extreme high performance, off-road no access to civilization for days, very cold, very hot, very long driving, etc)

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
If by then we have electric cars that can make it a couple hundred thousand miles without needing major repairs (no battery or motor replacement) - and less than 5 minutes to a full charge, then maybe I will consider it. Maybe I would consider it if I no longer want a "fun" vehicle.
Yea a couple thousand miles is all the motors or batteries last in electric cars.. LMAO!!!!

For the record the wife’s old gen 1 Prius needed its FIRST hybrid battery at 160k miles here in the Phoenix DESERT where 115 degree temps trash batteries in about 18-24 months on average. Cost from Toyota was $1999.00.

Last edited:

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yea a couple thousand miles is all the motors or batteries last in electric cars.. LMAO!!!!

For the record the wife’s old gen 1 Prius needed its FIRST hybrid battery at 160k miles here in the Phoenix DESERT where 115 degree temps trash batteries in about 18-24 months on average. Cost from Toyota was $1999.00.
And no one recycles these lithium batteries.

Sponsored

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

My wife's Hyundai Veloster. 2013 just hit 216k miles. Only thing changed other than normal maintenance is front driver side wheel bearing. $30. I did the work. It get's 38 plus mpg. It's a little 6 speed manual go cart.

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
My wife's Hyundai Veloster. 2013 just hit 216k miles. Only thing changed other than normal maintenance is front driver side wheel bearing. $30. I did the work. It get's 38 plus mpg. It's a little 6 speed manual go cart.
That’s great for a gasser. I was just using the Prius battery life span and the cost as an example of how they don’t only last a couple thousand miles as Hack was implying.
Although the Prius did need oil changes and gas put in just like a regular gas car, the only advantage the hybrids get is the higher mpg like 55mpg which was unheard of when they first came out.
So back to talking about electrics and the mach E, So far the Tesla’s, and even the boring cars like the leaf and bolt are proving that cost of ownership mile per mile are so dramatically different than ice cars it’s not even a debate.
Anybody who claims that they have an ice car that is as fun to drive and performs as well as these new electrics and has a lower cost of ownership is kidding themselves.

Just test drove a new model 3 Tesla with the wife, trust me it’s not boring by any stretch.
For those claiming you don’t “drive” electric cars are just as ignorant. I didn’t just push a button and tell it where to take me, I had to drive the car.

Just imagine a fast sports car that doesn’t rev and make a ton of noise trying to go fast. It just goes fast in a super quick stealthy sleeper way. Maybe the novelty of that would wear off in time, but for right now it puts a huge grin on your face to smoke some noise making car trying to keep up.

For the record, if I had the opportunity to have an electric service truck that could do what my ram 3500 dually does for work and make it through the day on a charge, I’d be all over it. It’s not here yet but it’s coming and I’ll be standing in line to get mine on day one. I don’t enjoy spending 20 minutes daily dropping another $100 in fuel in my truck and getting an average of 8.4 mpg. I’d rather spend $3 bucks daily letting it do it’s thing overnight during off peak hours when electricity is cheap.

Take a look at this great side by side comparison of equivalent cars.

Last edited:

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... the only advantage the hybrids get is the higher mpg like 55mpg which was unheard of when they first came out. ...
That's not quite accurate. There are plenty of diesels capable of getting 40-60mpg without the constraints of modern emissions controls. Many engines today could get 20-100% better fuel economy without those limitations.

Many of our vehicle regulations make no sense, but were written with good intentions.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That’s great for a gasser. I was just using the Prius battery life span and the cost as an example of how they don’t only last a couple thousand miles as Hack was implying.
Although the Prius did need oil changes and gas put in just like a regular gas car, the only advantage the hybrids get is the higher mpg like 55mpg which was unheard of when they first came out.
So back to talking about electrics and the mach E, So far the Tesla’s, and even the boring cars like the leaf and bolt are proving that cost of ownership mile per mile are so dramatically different than ice cars it’s not even a debate.
Anybody who claims that they have an ice car that is as fun to drive and performs as well as these new electrics and has a lower cost of ownership is kidding themselves.

Just test drove a new model 3 Tesla with the wife, trust me it’s not boring by any stretch.
For those claiming you don’t “drive” electric cars are just as ignorant. I didn’t just push a button and tell it where to take me, I had to drive the car.

Just imagine a fast sports car that doesn’t rev and make a ton of noise trying to go fast. It just goes fast in a super quick stealthy sleeper way. Maybe the novelty of that would wear off in time, but for right now it puts a huge grin on your face to smoke some noise making car trying to keep up.

For the record, if I had the opportunity to have an electric service truck that could do what my ram 3500 dually does for work and make it through the day on a charge, I’d be all over it. It’s not here yet but it’s coming and I’ll be standing in line to get mine on day one. I don’t enjoy spending 20 minutes daily dropping another $100 in fuel in my truck and getting an average of 8.4 mpg. I’d rather spend $3 bucks daily letting it do it’s thing overnight during off peak hours when electricity is cheap.

Take a look at this great side by side comparison of equivalent cars.
Nope not ignorant, you can flat foot that model 3 around the racetrack...the car saves you. That’s not driving.
Once again talking performance not daily driving or test drives on city streets.

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nope not ignorant, you can flat foot that model 3 around the racetrack...the car saves you. That’s not driving.
Once again talking performance not daily driving or test drives on city streets.
It saves you? Like it saved the test driver dude from flying off the track out of control and taking out the grass?
So by flat footing it you think electric cars have a toggle switch pedal that’s not proportional? Just push for go and let off for stop? So basically you think because it’s an electric car the guy applies the throttle full stroke all the way around the track until he’s done and the car takes care of all the corner speeds, braking, lines to take etc...
Nope not ignorant.
Lastly, you don’t for one minute have any sort of respect for how quickly battery powered cars have progressed in just a few years? if that’s the case bro, you won’t ever have any respect for the technology as anything other than a gimmick.. there’s just nothing Tesla or a Ford Mach E could pull off that would impress you in the least because you my friend are in denial that the tech is actually pretty damn interesting..

Who knows, maybe I’m just more open minded because I mainly work on only battery battered equipment like electric scissor lifts and I look at it all through a different lens and am easily impressed..

Sponsored

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It saves you? Like it saved the test driver dude from flying off the track out of control and taking out the grass?
So by flat footing it you think electric cars have a toggle switch pedal that’s not proportional? Just push for go and let off for stop? So basically you think because it’s an electric car the guy applies the throttle full stroke all the way around the track until he’s done and the car takes care of all the corner speeds, braking, lines to take etc...
Nope not ignorant.
Lastly, you don’t for one minute have any sort of respect for how quickly battery powered cars have progressed in just a few years? if that’s the case bro, you won’t ever have any respect for the technology as anything other than a gimmick.. there’s just nothing Tesla or a Ford Mach E could pull off that would impress you in the least because you my friend are in denial that the tech is actually pretty damn interesting..

Who knows, maybe I’m just more open minded because I mainly work on only battery battered equipment like electric scissor lifts and I look at it all through a different lens and am easily impressed..
Who da fook is that guy?

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's not quite accurate. There are plenty of diesels capable of getting 40-60mpg without the constraints of modern emissions controls. Many engines today could get 20-100% better fuel economy without those limitations.

Many of our vehicle regulations make no sense, but were written with good intentions.
I’m “not quite accurate”???? ok Let’s compare a very low emission mass produced vehicle with a fully unrestricted diesel VW golf or whatever with all the interior taken out for weight savings blowing black smoke thought the city with no legal emissions on it doing zero to 60 in 20 minutes..

What exactly did I say that’s “not quite accurate” anyway?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A month ago we lost power for 5 days. Freak, short duration wind storm with zero warning, knocked down 1000's of trees and power lines all over my area. Maybe I get far enough away to re-charge if I need it, but wasting all that range,
just to get fuel?

Cross that with typically having well over 100 gallons of gas in certain vehicles (60 usually in my boat alone) that can be easilydrawn out with a 12V transfer pump and be used for generator, or even doing my lawn if I so choose. If EVERYTHING is electric, I'm totally dead in the water. I guess if I combine the batteries on all my electric lawn maint tools, maybe I could run my coffee maker for 3 minutes off them.

As for perf. Got my fusion Sport, tune, tires and sway bars. it's about on par with LR AWD model 3, but that costs 50 grand. 0-60 in 3 seconds you say. Even high 4's I'm bordering on getting a ticket for aggressive driving if I do it ALL the time. The rest of the public does on average, 0-60 in 10 seconds or more and for some reason seem to get all pissed when you accelerate really quick.

You say I'll make money back up in fuel cost, but my insr is going up $500 per year (I got quote).

Fusion has 540 mile range if driven @ constant 65 MPH. Let me know when I get 500 miles range AND 5 minute recharge for under 30 grand brand new. I constantly hear that I will be stopping no matter what for at least a half hour after 180-200 miles. I do much longer than that all the time and don't stop at all (for fuel or food). Recently picked up father, he's 89 can't drive anymore due to memory loss. So that's 53 miles north, then to DE to pick up some small early bronco parts. then back up to north jersey to drop him off, and back home. Well over 300 miles and that's at speeds that KILL range in an electric.

This does not include all the electric outlets I'd have to put in, as I park in many different places on property, depending upon things as simple as I just washed it, so it sits just outside the garage to dry off and I don't move it until next day. So need outlet out there or ext cord that goes outside. I have parking areas well over 75 feet from house, which the woman uses when I have crap all over the place doing some project. She's about 96 lbs, but now has to lug a monster ext cord out there, which probably weighs half her weight if I fall asleep early and she leaves car out there. Can't put outlet out there as I'd have to dig under/through driveway and you can't tunnel under, as Ihave large trees on both sides of driveway and along edges of parking area in question. Speaking of ext cords, if I use them in winter and
we get one of these storms that starts as ice, now the thing is froze to the ground and I have to plow 11 inches of snow. Now what??

This does not even touch on having to deal with dual infrastructures while "transitioning" to electric. I'm not converting my classics to electric. Many of my gas equip would be a PIA to be electric. I use my bobcat a lot, not sure what that would cost electric, heck the new diesel one's are 80 grand, what would electric be $150K? Things with batteries that are not used every day are a hassle too. Just got a higher end bi-directional scan tool. So do I leave it plugged in for the months I'm not using it, or do I risk batteries going dead by just leaving it? Compare that with carbed tamper I bought 7 years ago, to tamp dirt and stone prepping for concrete floor (for large pole barn). Fired it up the other day to repair/replace front
paver walk. For a HF POS, it still runs fine after 7 years. So many of my things will run on fuel until I'm dead, do I really want to deal with dual infrastructure for the next 30-35 years. Not right now I don't.

I'm sure I'll get some "smart" answer that I'm just resisting or whining, won't be the first time. What I never get is the answers to my issues/concerns!!!!!

Last edited:

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hes the guy who lost control in a electric car which you said wasn’t possible.
The point was, at some point, the car does so much, why do you even have to be in it?
IC cars are not totally immune from this, GTR practically drove itself compared to everything else,
when it first came out.
Sponsored