Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak Hoss 3.0
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My Wildtrak is scheduled to get the Ford Performance Tune in late April when I bring it in for a 5 tire rotation and it's 5000 mile service. I want to buy the Injen CAI (when it becomes available) or similar and a MagnaFlow exhaust but I am questioning the need for the CAI since the Ford Performance Tune is "off the shelf" and not a truly custom tune. Will the computer know what to do with all the extra air? If the tune is just downloaded into the Bronco and can't be calibrated than the CAI is a waste of money. Does anyone know if I am correct in my thinking? The service manager was going to look into it but I have not heard back. Also, does a Down Pipe void the warranty?
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes, CAI will do nothing with the tune. Downpipes wouldn't even be worth it.

OP
OP
NmfB

NmfB

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak Hoss 3.0
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the input.

jolson1228

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you're going with the FPP tune, just upgrade your filter to a performance filter. Most of the CAIs out there get most of their "performance increase" from the filter alone, and it's 1/5th the cost. The engine's computer will know how to handle a little bit more air, it's not a significant increase.

I don't have a link to the video, but a tune shop showed the performance increase of stock vs CAI vs custom tuned. A CAI can give you around 5-7% power increase over stock, where 3-5% can come from just dropping in a performance filter. If that 5% increase is worth it to you, I'd go with the S&B Filter for the Bronco. They have oiled or dry media for $70, whichever you prefer.

Downpipes are definitely not worth it if you're sticking with the stock turbos. The only reason to change those is if you do a huge engine overhaul to get significantly higher PSIs from your turbo. The stock downpipes can easily handle the 20ish lbs of pressure the turbos make even after the tune. You won't see any performance increase from downpipes.

An intercooler may be worth it depending on how you drive. Its biggest benefit is keeping air temps lower for longer than stock. You likely wouldn't see it on a dyno, but it helps with longer runs. Personally I don't think they're worth it for the price unless you're custom tuning it.

An exhaust can be beneficial, especially if you're upgrading your intake. More air in means more air needs to come out. Axel back exhausts can give you another 3% or so, but cat back exhausts can give you closer to 5%

The small increases can add up though. If you see 5% from a performance filter, another 5% from the FPP tune (for the 2.7L, closer to 9 for the 2.3L), and maybe 2-3% from a higher flow exhaust, you'll feel a difference... but there's no changing the fact that the Bronco is less aerodynamic than a cow, and it's not a sports car.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
NmfB

NmfB

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak Hoss 3.0
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks bro! Helpful for sure and probably just saved me a bunch of money. Much appreciated!

Sponsored

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think it really depends on your long term plans. I dont think a CAI will make things worse with the performance tune, just might not be able to fully take advantage.

For me I plan on starting with the performance tune. I already ordered and just waiting for it to come in. I do plan on adding Intercooler, exhaust and cai down the road, cai probably last. But I also plan on getting a custom tune later on, probably after my warranty expires. So I will be able to fully take advantage of those changes down the road.

I think an intercoolr does more for every day performance than either cai or exhaust. Heat soak is real in a turbo engine. Had the 2.3 in my mustang a few years back and an upgrade Intercooler really helped a lot. Of course i live in a pretty hilly area which can cause the engine to use a lot of boost so its important to keep the heat down.

Good luck.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hear the tunes learn and adapt to new parts

id upgrade the parts anyway, why stay stock to begin with?

Cl1ckst3r

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've got the Ford Performance Tune and the K&N Performance Intake System for the 2.3. From the looks of the Injen, it is similar to the K&N--they both offer upgraded intake tube, not just an airbox and filter.

I installed the K&N first, probably a month before I got the tune. I can attest there is a noticeable difference in performance plus you get to hear the turbo and BOV now. These performance intakes remove many of the stock intake restrictions letting the engine breath easier. So, your turbo(s) will spool sooner on the low end and get more air at the high-end. You will feel a performance increase across the powerband.

When I installed the tune, it was even quicker.

So, will you get a performance increase from aftermarket FMIC, Charge pipes and downpipe? I would say yes. Charge pipes will help the engine get air more efficiently. The FMIC lowers intake temperatures and the downpipe reduces backpressure. However, I agree you may not get every last drop of performance without a tune, you will see a performance increase with these mods.

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’d be curious to see the video of the performance air filter vs. CAI on the Dyno.

As for the 2.7, the stock air intake piping is very restrictive on the passenger side turbo. International Dyno Authority showed this in a few of their videos.

I just have the S&B filter on mine, but plan to get the Injen or K&N CAI soon.

Last edited:

shikashane

Badlands
First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco w/Sasquatch & LUX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're going with the FPP tune, just upgrade your filter to a performance filter. Most of the CAIs out there get most of their "performance increase" from the filter alone, and it's 1/5th the cost. The engine's computer will know how to handle a little bit more air, it's not a significant increase.

I don't have a link to the video, but a tune shop showed the performance increase of stock vs CAI vs custom tuned. A CAI can give you around 5-7% power increase over stock, where 3-5% can come from just dropping in a performance filter. If that 5% increase is worth it to you, I'd go with the S&B Filter for the Bronco. They have oiled or dry media for $70, whichever you prefer.

Downpipes are definitely not worth it if you're sticking with the stock turbos. The only reason to change those is if you do a huge engine overhaul to get significantly higher PSIs from your turbo. The stock downpipes can easily handle the 20ish lbs of pressure the turbos make even after the tune. You won't see any performance increase from downpipes.

An intercooler may be worth it depending on how you drive. Its biggest benefit is keeping air temps lower for longer than stock. You likely wouldn't see it on a dyno, but it helps with longer runs. Personally I don't think they're worth it for the price unless you're custom tuning it.

An exhaust can be beneficial, especially if you're upgrading your intake. More air in means more air needs to come out. Axel back exhausts can give you another 3% or so, but cat back exhausts can give you closer to 5%

The small increases can add up though. If you see 5% from a performance filter, another 5% from the FPP tune (for the 2.7L, closer to 9 for the 2.3L), and maybe 2-3% from a higher flow exhaust, you'll feel a difference... but there's no changing the fact that the Bronco is less aerodynamic than a cow, and it's not a sports car.

Hope this helps!

"There's no changing the fact that the Bronco is less aerodynamic than a cow!!" LOL!!

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've got the AWE cat-back, FPP, and just added the Corsa CAI. The only part that gave me a noticeable difference was the FPP. The AWE is noticeable in sound. The Corsa CAI sounds no different than the stock CAI, but it could be that the AWE sound drowns out any of the turbo noises everyone else talks about. Basically, FPP has noticeable performance gains and AWE noticeable exhaust sounds...CAI is up in the air.
Sponsored