Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You'll be running the same RPMs at 25 in low range as you will at 75 in high range, about 2200 in 10 th AT or 6TH MT, dependant on tire size and axle ratio
on paper yes but the auto won't shift above 7th gear in 4lo. a little disappointing because 4lo was perfect for cruising slow forest roads or between different trails at the offroad park in my old xterra with the converter lockup in 4th and 5th at about 18-20mph. Our GX460 also won't use overdrive gears in low range.

Some people don't like to leave it in low range for whatever reason, when i go wheeling its in 4lo until i'm headed to the gate.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

on paper yes but the auto won't shift above 7th gear in 4lo. a little disappointing because 4lo was perfect for cruising slow forest roads or between different trails at the offroad park in my old xterra with the converter lockup in 4th and 5th at about 18-20mph. Our GX460 also won't use overdrive gears in low range.

Some people don't like to leave it in low range for whatever reason, when i go wheeling its in 4lo until i'm headed to the gate.
Good point, I had heard that and forgotten. Haven't experienced thr yet myself.

OP
OP
telenerd

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like no one who has the Ford Performance Tune goes off-road. šŸ˜‚

I guess I will post my results for 4 low shifting performance after the tune. Stay tuned.

Sponsored
OP
OP
telenerd

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford tune scheduled this coming Monday. Will post my trail results sometime next week! Hopefully 4 low shifting performance is improved.

Gluestick

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Bronco Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

hmmm. I go on trails around here (TN) but Iā€™m almost always in 4H until itā€™s time to crawl something and then move to 4L. I have the FP tune. No issues.

OP
OP
telenerd

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got my Bronco back. The Ford tune made a huge difference. No lag, engine now growls wanting more fuel, and shifts alot better. More low end power.

I have not tested 4 low shifting performance yet on trails. Will do that in the coming weeks and report back!

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™ve been curious about this myself with the manual transmission. Iā€™ve been turning my panda module off when off-roading. But, the last time I forgot to turn off my sprint booster and Iā€™m not sure it was very beneficial on the rocks.

I have a FP tube waiting to be installed. Iā€™m looking forward to comparing it to the Panda which Iā€™ve been running for 18 months.

OP
OP
telenerd

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did a little bit of testing after work on one of my local trails. 4 low shifting is dramatically smoother since Ford tune. No jerky motions when the tranny up shifts. I did notice a little bit of lurching when the tranny shifts from 3rd to 2nd and some RPM increases but not like before the tune where the RPM would spike dramatically and have to slam on brakes. I feel the shift programming could be a little smoother however in 4 low downshifting. Need to do more testing this upcoming holiday weekend!

OP
OP
telenerd

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those curious about the ford tune and how it affects 4low for the 2.7 Sasquatch. Shifting is night and day smoother after doing more testing on the CDT.

Shifting up and down the Bronco seems to hold a gear a bit longer. No jerky feeling unless your manually shifting under power. Going down steeper terrain shifting from 3 to 2nd there isnā€™t as much as a high rpm jolt that lunges you forward. Itā€™s still there somewhat but not as bad.

Overall I think the ford tune has satisfied my complaints with 4 low shifting. Could shifting be better? Yes, but have to wait until Ford releases another update.
Sponsored