Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Absolutely, but why allow yet another 3rd party to gather that information? Plus the required subscription is expensive, so you get to pay them for the trouble!
Agree the subscription is ridiculous. But they can’t teach you unless you agree. That would be a massive liability for Ford.
Sponsored

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford would need to fix the Bronco’s rear bumper before a digital license plate would work on it. I’m not sure how you would zip tie the digital plate to the spare after it gets ripped off the bumper while wheeling.

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
Work on hard tops and rear seat cup holders, then we can talk about digital license tags.

Steve0552

Badlands
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love my Ford Bronco, but this thread is why I joined 6G. I'm having fun with the paranoid posts here.
You guys are not onboard with the "Matrix" thing, I get it, but get used to it because this will be gov't mandated as soon a police know they now have a kill switch.

Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i'm in the minority here but i see the appeal with them. these offer gps tracking, can display STOLEN if someone carjacks you so police can easily pull them over, and there's no need to deal with registration stickers that can be stolen if you forget to slice em with a razor blade.

I wouldn't get one personally, as I like my metal plates, but I can see why someone would get it.
Unless you can get your car back nearly immediately, you won’t want it recovered if it is stolen. It will never be the same in a lot of cases

Badland-Mansquatch-ATX

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL, Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i'm in the minority here but i see the appeal with them. these offer gps tracking, can display STOLEN if someone carjacks you so police can easily pull them over, and there's no need to deal with registration stickers that can be stolen if you forget to slice em with a razor blade.

I wouldn't get one personally, as I like my metal plates, but I can see why someone would get it.
That’s some of the points. The other is it would likely save states money. I’m not a big fan here either, but all the people yelling about high taxes might want to look into where the money goes and how to make the spending more efficient like this example (with real proposals, not just yelling).

Last edited:

Badland-Mansquatch-ATX

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL, Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, there have been a number of dealerships that sell these - some force them on people as a non-negotiable add-on (though I assume you could remove it and get a regular plate, but you still have to pay for it). I guess the difference is factory-supplied, here.

I'm not at all a fan, despite generally being in tech (and working in the industry). I'm not a tinfoil-hat type, but I don't need some random company tracking my movement - especially one with poor security:

https://gizmodo.com/security-researchers-hack-reviver-digital-license-plate-1849967297
We are already being tracked by dozens of apps, devices so the privacy issue is going to have to be solved in a much larger way. Agree that we all need to push back on companies that do a poor job of designing for security.

Broncofly

First Edition
First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Honda Africa Twin, Husqvarna 310R
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ford Bronco FORD WILL BE FIRST AUTOMAKER TO OFFER DIGITAL LICENSE PLATES Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 10.37.32 AM

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Ugh.......hate to sound like an old fart......but why?!

Everyone that pays their bills will pay for all the none complier, thieves and frankly criminals who don't care other than hacking the system. Ugh........

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That’s some of the points. The other is it would likely save states money. I’m not a big fan here either, but all the people yelling about high taxes might want to look into where the money goes and how to make the spending more efficient like this example (with real proposals, not just yelling).
Your assumption is any gov't agency would "save" some money and be more efficient with our tax money and/or not spend the "savings" elsewhere and/or possibly even lower taxes ??? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Packed with style and substance, the battery-powered RPlate boasts a 5-year battery life along with Bluetooth and national LTE wireless connectivity that allow for modern conveniences like digital registration renewal, theft deterrence, and vehicle recovery support.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/09/ford-will-be-first-automaker-to-offer-digital-license-plates/

Ford Bronco FORD WILL BE FIRST AUTOMAKER TO OFFER DIGITAL LICENSE PLATES Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 10.37.32 AM
If this comes from an OEM, why does it need all this complication? Battery? Connect to the vehicle for power with a short battery backup at most. Bluetooth and LTE? Just use the vehicle's on-board capabilities. This plate should be little more than a display using what the vehicle already has for everything else.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wait until someone clones your plate and then commits a crime. It has happened, this just makes it much cheaper and easier for the criminals. No longer do they need to use a 3D printer.
You'd have to be targeted specifically, and even then, there's more than enough other tech like car GPS, cell phones, security cameras, witnesses, etc., to rule you out. This is the last thing I'd worry about. Of course, I wouldn't even have one if I had to pay for it. I suspect at some point, these will become federally mandated.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mercedes is already doing this. My sister has this on hers and its...well... DUMB!
That's not OEM, it's after-market.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Another "small" reason to dislike... Also appropriate Bronco content to get your blood boiling...

Ford Bronco FORD WILL BE FIRST AUTOMAKER TO OFFER DIGITAL LICENSE PLATES PXL_20221222_215733776
Sponsored

Last edited: