First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1979 Trans Am
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I've completed (are we ever really done?) my front end blackout; I included before and after pics. Not looking for any comments, just sharing what my version was. It consisted of 3 very simple measures:

1) Paint the skidplate and center bumper trim black with bedliner black.
2) Paint the tow hooks with a rubberized black coating.
3) Apply headlight tint film (I haven't driven it at night yet; these may be short lived if too dim). If you decide to take this on, a few pointers: 1) Wipe down plastic with rubbing alcohol and immediately follow with a clean microfiber. 2) Lightly mist with a clean spray bottle filled with bottled water (not tap). 3) Use a heat gun on medium or low setting after using squeegee. Your fingers will do a better job than the blade does; just don't burn yourself in the process. 4) Start with the straight edge of the marker lights for alignment, then fold the application outwards towards the outside of the headlight edge.

Have a great day.

20231127_074701.jpg

IMG_20231112_170206.jpg
Sponsored

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Looks good.

Derrick

Raptor
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2010 Audi R8 V10
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Well done! I like it a lot and the more I look the more I like, even more that I may consider doing mine. I like the complete black look of the bumper.
So in the finished pic it looks like the drivers side lower control arm is painted? Also did you remove the plates to paint them? Thanks

nabronco21

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco/2008 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Much better I never did understand why ford made it silver.

Bkbk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks great! What headlight film did you use?

Sponsored

'18 M2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Warthog
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Do you have plans to paint the grill black?

OP
OP
KansasRaptor

KansasRaptor

Raptor
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Well done! I like it a lot and the more I look the more I like, even more that I may consider doing mine. I like the complete black look of the bumper.
So in the finished pic it looks like the drivers side lower control arm is painted? Also did you remove the plates to paint them? Thanks
Thanks! The control arm in the finshed picture looks painted, but that is just shadowcast. Since I was using a heavier painted material I didn't want to risk it curing and causing movement issues in the joint. I plan on hitting it with some basic auto flat when the weather warms up enough.

Painting steps:
1) Remove the silver plastic trim piece. Don't use a spray on paint adhere spray as the part is lightly coated with a clear or silver and it caused a few lift issues. I would lightly sand with 400 grit and then paint. Once cured I would suggest a few shots of flat clear coat. Removal is crazy easy: The part is held on by a bunch of plastic pull tabs, and a couple of spring clips behind the part. Once tabs are removed (all of mine popped out with finger pressure), pull one end to release the spring clips, then do the opposite side.

2) The actual skid plate is a substantial piece of metal. 4 bolts, but be prepared for this thing to drop. I saved the rear driver side bolt for last as this has a slide slot that will support it. You don't need to pull this bolt out completely. Once you have it down and painted, I suggest using a floor jack to lift it back in place. I did this and it made reinstalling easy; I used a piece of carboard to insulate the fresh paint from jack pad damage.

3) While the trim piece was drying I lightly sanded the tow hooks and coated that with a rubberized paint. Holds up well, but I'm sure that if I ever need to use the hooks I'll need to touch up a bit.

Let me know if you need any more info. I would say that, as far as cosmetic mods go, the whole thing was as easy as it gets. Good luck.

OP
OP
KansasRaptor

KansasRaptor

Raptor
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm sure it came down to either cost savings or production efficiency. But I agree, it should have been a factory preset for the raptor.

OP
OP
KansasRaptor

KansasRaptor

Raptor
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Looks great! What headlight film did you use?
Update.....The headlight film is off. Although it was super east to apply and looked great, it dimmed the lights enough where I decided to pull it off. I originally removed the lower lens part, which looked great, only to realize that the upper lens is for lowbeam and the lower is high. :(

Sponsored

Derrick

Raptor
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2010 Audi R8 V10
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks! The control arm in the finshed picture looks painted, but that is just shadowcast. Since I was using a heavier painted material I didn't want to risk it curing and causing movement issues in the joint. I plan on hitting it with some basic auto flat when the weather warms up enough.

Painting steps:
1) Remove the silver plastic trim piece. Don't use a spray on paint adhere spray as the part is lightly coated with a clear or silver and it caused a few lift issues. I would lightly sand with 400 grit and then paint. Once cured I would suggest a few shots of flat clear coat. Removal is crazy easy: The part is held on by a bunch of plastic pull tabs, and a couple of spring clips behind the part. Once tabs are removed (all of mine popped out with finger pressure), pull one end to release the spring clips, then do the opposite side.

2) The actual skid plate is a substantial piece of metal. 4 bolts, but be prepared for this thing to drop. I saved the rear driver side bolt for last as this has a slide slot that will support it. You don't need to pull this bolt out completely. Once you have it down and painted, I suggest using a floor jack to lift it back in place. I did this and it made reinstalling easy; I used a piece of carboard to insulate the fresh paint from jack pad damage.

3) While the trim piece was drying I lightly sanded the tow hooks and coated that with a rubberized paint. Holds up well, but I'm sure that if I ever need to use the hooks I'll need to touch up a bit.

Let me know if you need any more info. I would say that, as far as cosmetic mods go, the whole thing was as easy as it gets. Good luck.
Great info I will do as you have described and thanks for the details . If you get a chance could you supply the paint manufacture and part numbers. The more I think about it the sooner I want to do it. lol

Finbox

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KLR650
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
They made it silver because it’s made out of aluminum with no paint and when you scratch it, you won’t notice the scratches, it’s a skid plate made to skid over things when you paint it it’s gonna look like crap when the paint scrapes off

STONEWALKER

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak, 2020 VW Cross Sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

nabronco21

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco/2008 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They made it silver because it’s made out of aluminum with no paint and when you scratch it, you won’t notice the scratches, it’s a skid plate made to skid over things when you paint it it’s gonna look like crap when the paint scrapes off
I didn't know it was aluminum, well ya learn something new everyday they say.

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

They did the skid in silver because it hides scratches for the intended use of the vehicle. The silver plastic panel above the skid, which has pop rivets, is meant to be taken off when you offroad, then popped back on after.
Sponsored