First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
3,700 miles here and mines been doing this for at least the last 1,000 miles. Haven’t brought it in yet, anyone else has resolutions?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hector Levario
First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some years back I had a similar thing on my 2010 Raptor at about 5k miles. Turned out it was the drive shaft slip yoke, the splined portion that goes into the transfer case. Turns out that this has been a known issue on some F150s and other Fords since 04. Most do not have the problem but some do, lucky me. Stopping can put the splines in a bind as the chassis rocks forward and when when you resume or take you foot off the brake and you get a little thump when it unloads . I never heard anything but often felt it. I was thinking trans or rear end issue.
There is a TSB that basically says remove drive shaft, clean splines, apply a specific (special for the splines) grease and reassemble. My stepson (a Ford tech) found the TSB and the grease then we did the deed in my driveway. Quick and easy fix, didn't even use a jack, and it's been cured for ever since.
Definitely the kind of response I was looking for here. I love how ford is in here trying to resolve things the exact same way they did with me but I just wasted time at the local dealership to have the shit head mechanics tell me about how experienced they are and how right they are and how wrong I am and told me the problem was “normal”. Glad to see more movement in the thread here because the problem has not gone away but also has luckily not gotten any worse. I can say the slip yoke is more than likely the problem here and I’m sure it’ll need a full new replacement in order to remedy the issue 100%. Once again, I’ve just been waiting on more traffic here on this thread and hopefully a possible recall for the issue and it looks like that’s where this is heading. Thank you all for chiming in!

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
3,700 miles here and mines been doing this for at least the last 1,000 miles. Haven’t brought it in yet, anyone else has resolutions?
Hey there! I can look into your Bronco’s thump concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

sliwa

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some years back I had a similar thing on my 2010 Raptor at about 5k miles. Turned out it was the drive shaft slip yoke, the splined portion that goes into the transfer case. Turns out that this has been a known issue on some F150s and other Fords since 04. Most do not have the problem but some do, lucky me. Stopping can put the splines in a bind as the chassis rocks forward and when when you resume or take you foot off the brake and you get a little thump when it unloads . I never heard anything but often felt it. I was thinking trans or rear end issue.
There is a TSB that basically says remove drive shaft, clean splines, apply a specific (special for the splines) grease and reassemble. My stepson (a Ford tech) found the TSB and the grease then we did the deed in my driveway. Quick and easy fix, didn't even use a jack, and it's been cured for ever since.
Any chance you have the TSB #??

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
check your upper strut bolts. sounds like something is loose and allowing extra travel
Exactly this. Especially if you had a lift installed this is probabably the issue. There are three bolts that mount the strut to the vehicle. I imagine all three would have to be loose or missing at the same time in order to make a noise. Simply reach in with a 15 mm wrench and check.

However what is more likely is the nut that secures the top hat of the strut to the shock and secures the coil in place is loose. If that is not tightened completely you will get that sound also. If the three 15 mm nuts are tight and the noise still occurs this is almost certainly the problem. Unfortunately it is hard to tighten in that space. Grab some needle nose vice grips and angle it down and secure the 18mm nut. Then you will need a wrench to tighten the shock post that the nut secures to. Tighten it by turning the post counterclockwise! If you don't secure the nut or try to turn the nut without securing the post it will just spin. If you turn the post clockwise it will simply loosen the nut further or completely back the nut off. Be careful because that spring is under a lot of tension and will not be fun to deal with if that nut comes off. Of course you can secure the post and tighten the nut but because of the way the nut is recessed it requires special socket or wrench to angle down while still being able to hold the post from spinning. Probably best to take it to the shop you had a lift installed or the dealer if it came from the factory that way.

Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

Any chance you have the TSB #??
LOL, dude that was in 2011, sorry. Basically all it said was included in my post except the exact type of lube. Check Ford parts dept for lube suitable for splines. Honestly if I were to do it today I'd use wheel bearing lube and call it a day.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Before I call my dealer to schedule a diagnostic appointment, has anyone here experienced a “thump” noise/feeling in their front suspension after releasing its compression? For example, when coming to a full stop at a red light and compressing the front suspension and then upon taking off, there’s this “thump” I hear and feel, almost like somethings loose…

Thank you for any input!
On the old fullsize-broncos, this exact same sound can be caused by a broken/tired rear driveshaft

Smiffer

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mine happens at the same time, split second right before full stop, and also feel it “release” when I begin moving again. I also don’t have a single thump, it’s more like 2-4 little rumbles. Almost feels like something is loading up and then releasing.
Interesting, my Bronco with 600 miles on it recently started doing this.

BroncoBenni

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 escape Titanium and 2015 Cruze diesel
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well I have had this issue for a few months. Also had a burning smell since new, usually when raining. Figured it was the undercoating burning off but never really went away... today I found this. Front drive shaft boot is torn and missing a section... no grease for probably months. Bring to dealer tomorrow, who missed it for the last two oil changes, questioning their 83 point inspection.

Screenshot_20220911-142624_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I have had this issue for a few months. Also had a burning smell since new, usually when raining. Figured it was the undercoating burning off but never really went away... today I found this. Front drive shaft boot is torn and missing a section... no grease for probably months. Bring to dealer tomorrow, who missed it for the last two oil changes, questioning their 83 point inspection.

Ford Bronco Front suspension “thump” noise/feel? Screenshot_20220911-142624_Gallery
At the transfer case or differential?

sliwa

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey @Ford Motor Company, can we get some official course of action on this? My dealership has no experience with Bronco repairs. They test drove one other Bronco to compare, and since that produced a similar result they called it normal and didn’t try to diagnose mine any further.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hey @Ford Motor Company, can we get some official course of action on this? My dealership has no experience with Bronco repairs. They test drove one other Bronco to compare, and since that produced a similar result they called it normal and didn’t try to diagnose mine any further.
Hey there, Matthew! I can look into your Bronco’s thumping noise concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?
Sponsored